VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I attempted to load a file into AVStoDVD for conversion to mpg to burn to a DVD, and I got this message:

the file contains Extended ASCII characters. It is recommended to use only Standard ASCII characters.
    Do you want to continue anyway?

I've never seen this before. Will the file be converted normally? Or does this make it impossible to convert the file? Or what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What format is your source file?
    Does the filename contain extended ascii characters? (like é, ü, curly apostrophe (’)) - This was flagged as a potential problem way back in 2009, hence the warning. Just rename the file.
    Does the file contain meta data with extended ascii characters? (title, description, summary, genre, etc.) - This shouldn't be a problem, as it will be lost in conversion to DVD.
    Does the input contain a subtitle track with extended ascii characters? - This shouldn't be a problem for modern converters, as subs are often UTF-8, and 2016 software should know how to deal with it.

I would say the message is a warning only. Meaning the extended ascii characters may or may not transfer well onto the output file. It shouldn't matter for the conversion. If some routine doesn't expect such characters, it may crash at that point, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never seen a video file that used ONLY standard ascii characters. Sounds more like it didn't like the name of the file. Be aware some Windows programs/character sets/dos codepages do not like EM mark that looks like a long dash or Ellipsis which looks like 3 periods but is one character. There are others also that are acceptable on some computers but not others. Best just to rename as Case suggested.
    Quote Quote