VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,

So, I have the extended version of LotRs, and I want to rip them into my computer. I know how to do this part, but how do I go about getting them all in 1 file? Each Movie has 3/4 discs (I don't have them in hand at the moment so don't remember.) How do I get all these movie files that I'll have separate into just 1 file (I want to have it per movie).

Thanks in advance,

Crash
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lecrash View Post
    Hey,

So, I have the extended version of LotRs, and I want to rip them into my computer. I know how to do this part, but how do I go about getting them all in 1 file? Each Movie has 3/4 discs (I don't have them in hand at the moment so don't remember.) How do I get all these movie files that I'll have separate into just 1 file (I want to have it per movie).

Thanks in advance,

Crash
    I have the LOTR Extended Edition Blu-ray set. Each of the actual moves is contained on two Blu-ray discs. The other 3 discs in each case are extras related to that movie, on DVD rather than Blu-ray. The video containing the movie on the two Blu-ray discs might be joined together in one file, but it makes no sense to try to join the extras on the DVDs with the movie video. The movie video is HD and H.264, while the DVD video is SD and MPEG-2. You should join Blu-ray video with Blu-Ray video and DVD video with DVD video. but you'll need to watch the extras to decide which of them belong together. I can't help you with that. I haven't gotten around to watching the extras.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by lecrash View Post
    Hey,

Thanks in advance,

Crash
    I have the LOTR Extended Edition Blu-ray set. Each of the actual moves is contained on two Blu-ray discs. The other 3 discs in each case are extras related to that movie, on DVD rather than Blu-ray. The video containing the movie on the two Blu-ray discs might be joined together in one file, but it makes no sense to try to join the extras on the DVDs with the movie video. The movie video is HD and H.264, while the DVD video is SD and MPEG-2. You should join Blu-ray video with Blu-Ray video and DVD video with DVD video. but you'll need to watch the extras to decide which of them belong together. I can't help you with that. I haven't gotten around to watching the extras.
    Yeah, I just want to put both Blu-Ray's together as 1, and then maybe all 3 DVDs as 1. So, basically 2 files, but I'll try dvdfab and see how that works.

Any free software that I can download that does the same if this is too expensive for me?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lecrash View Post
    Yeah, I just want to put both Blu-Ray's together as 1, and then maybe all 3 DVDs as 1. So, basically 2 files, but I'll try dvdfab and see how that works.

Any free software that I can download that does the same if this is too expensive for me?
    Sure. tsMuxer.

Back up a bit though. The LotR extended Blu-Rays have audio and video tracks of very slightly different lengths. so if you just join discs one and two there will be a noticeable shift in audio after the join.

You can fix that by extracting main movie with ClownBD, either from disc (with AnyDVDHD or DVDfabPasskey running in the background) or ripped Blu-Ray folder. In ClownBD, check the box to "Remove Last Second From Video/ Audio". The option is there for just this scenario. If extracting from ripped Blu-Ray folder, use BDinfo to find the correct playlist file (MPLS) for the main movie (by longest runtime), then load the MPLS file from the Playlist folder.

In tsMuxer, use "ADD" to load the MPLS from the first movie (there will only be one MPLS for a main movie rip). Use "JOIN" to append the second disc rip.

Just one more thing: the chapter timings for the second half will be incorrect, and you'll have to manually correct them. Do a separate run of the MPLS for the second disc and note down all chapter timings. Add the total runtime of the first half to each chapter timing of the second half. Then append those timings to the chapter timings list of the first half when you join the two halves together.

I don't think I missed anything, but I wrote that from memory (haven't done it in a while).

I have no idea if DVDFab can do this without any audio shift or if it will automatically correct the chapter timings.

Good luck.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 23rd Nov 2016 at 23:47.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4915

someone worked out all the steps already.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4915

someone worked out all the steps already.
    I did it probably ten years ago. You'll notice there are trim settings specified. Easier to just lop off a second at the end of disc one with ClownBD.

Now that I think of it, doesn't MKVmergeGUI automatically adjust the chapter timings when joining two files? Pretty sure I did that a couple of times.
    So one could load the first disc in MME, append the second, and done. Then if you want an authored BD, just use tsMuxer
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. [QUOTE=fritzi93;2467804]
    Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    Now that I think of it, doesn't MKVmergeGUI automatically adjust the chapter timings when joining two files?
    It does nowadays. So theoretically all is needed is to rip both discs to an mkv file each. Then append using mkvmerge. Done.

But there may be audio gaps. And it may not be seamless (first disc doesn't just cut off, right?). So some additional editing might be needed for a good result. I guess the Arnold_Layne's guide talks about that. (too lazy to read it)

If re-encoding is planned I'd append in AviSynth to make it a single, continuous encode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have one more questions for this, how would I go about getting all the subtitles? I want them as SRTs, mainly because of all the Elvish and other languages they speak.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  9. MakeMKV will rip the subtitles as PGS/SUP embed into MKVs. You can use Subtitle Edit to load the subs from the MKVs and convert them (via OCR) to SRT. Then MKVToolNix to re-embed (or just leave as separate files).

I don't know from my head how it works with the Lord of the Rings Blu-rays but there are 2 ways authoring houses handle things like subtitles for Elvish:
    A.) They are a separate subtitle track. Just rip it.
    B.) They are in the "complete" English subtitle track but only the Elvish lines are marked as forced. You either make MakeMKV rip only forced or let Subtitle Edit only select forced. I recommend the latter, it is easier to check later than to re-rip the whole BluRay in case you made the wrong assumption.

If you use LAV Splitter (splitter used by e.g. MPC-HC) you can set in its option to filter only forced lines. Activate and deactivate to see which variant was used on the Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The U.S. releases have Elvish subs hardcoded into the picture. It's my understanding that European releases used forced subs.
    One could probably find srt files of elvish subs at subscene, opensubtitles, etc.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey, all, thanks for the help.

I just have one issue, before ripping anything, I copy the discs completely into my HD. That way I can leave all the conversions overnight without having to be switching CDs.

To this end, I use AnyDVD to copy the discs, and Handbrake to convert them to MKVs. So, parting from this information (sorry that I didn't think about giving you this information earlier) is there anyway to grab the subtitles from a disc already copied disc (with AnyDVD) in succession without having to do them one by one? This way I can set it up, also, overnight and not have to be in my computer all the time.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. So, is there anyway of doing it from discs copied to my HD?
    Quote Quote