VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I could Transfer all my miniDV cassettes to pc successfully (with the given Quality). Now I'll do basic cutting and then convert them to a format which I would be able to use on following devices:

- TV Screen (Pal), streamed from NAS (Qnap TS253-A)
    - IPhone 7
    - Windows 10 PCs

Probably I also would like to burn a dvd later on from that file. Of course I'll keep the original dv-files, but I don't like to do the basic cutting every time again, so one original file and one compressed for all viewers would be nice for me. Disk Space is not that big problem, even it should be not bigger than necessary. Video Quality is even in original not really high end, just home made videos from Holiday, birthday parties and little children.

Which format would you recommend me? Mp4? mpeg2? Which resolution?

Thanks for advice.

Cheers
    Lukas
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mp4 with h264 video works on most devices.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is it right, that the Resolution will be Standard on 360x480 (if I remember), which is half of original DV-Format. When my 65"-lcd-tv is playing that in original Format it is just very small, of course it can be displayed in 4:3 Format in full Screen with black borders right and left.
    Or is it probably better to convert the Videos in DVD-Format 720x576 for better Quality on big Screens?

Thanks for help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your PAL DVD should be standard 720x576 MPEG2. It's lossy enough without throwing away half the resolution.

Your viewing mp4s and your DVD-compatible mpegs should each be made independently from your edited timeline or a DV master of your edited timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi
    You mean, I should do 2 converts, 1 for DVD with 720x576 mpeg2 and 1 for Streaming on tv with 360 x 480? But when why not just do the DVD Format? Original DV-Recording (uncompressed avi) I'll Keep of course uncutted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, your conversions should be tailored to the purpose of the output.

I tend to like to stay with the native source resolution, so the mp4s should be 720x576 as well.

That said, many players do not like interlaced, non-square pixel files, in which case I would do a 1024x576 deinterlaced conversion for widescreen (16:9) or 768x576 deinterlaced conversion for fullscreen (4:3.) If smooth motion were vital to me I might deinterlace to 50fps rather than 25fps. That is dependent on both personal aesthetic preferences and player capabilities.

DVD is a little easier because DV standard pixel sizes and interlacing closely align with DVD standards. All you need to change is the codec (though many folks insist on making it more complicated.)
    Quote Quote