VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new to Blu-ray copying. Started buying Blu-ray movies and wanted to make backup copies so I bought an LG internal Blu-ray burner and installed it in my Dell E520 desktop. Bought fifty Verbatim 25G blank discs and fifty Verbatim 50G blank discs. Bought Blue-Cloner software. Tried copying a couple of my movies to 50G blanks but failed at various stages of burning. Only success was burning a 25G disc by compressing the movie but this kind of defeated the purpose of making proper backups. Thinking it was the LG burner, I bought an ASUS 12X external and used it on my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop. Same failures. Thinking it was the Blue-Cloner software I Bought Leawo software. I still have burning failures and can't make a single copy on the 50G blank Verbatim discs. Do I need yet another brand of Blu-ray copy software, or is it a problem with the Verbatim 50G blank discs? I am in the process of getting refunds on the Blue-Cloner and Leawo software.

I need to get some guidance from the people who are successfully burning Blu-ray copies to 50G discs, especially regarding the right kind of software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Burning should always be done with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also try using dvdfab to copy your bluray disc's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used both DVDfab and AnyDVD to copy to hard drive for years then burned with either Imgburn or Nero express and haven't had any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    There is one free program for decryption of Blu-ray movies. It is called MakeMKV, and it is free for this purpose while it remains in beta status. Normally, it decrypts and rips the main movie only to an MKV file, but if you start in Backup mode, it will put the entire Blu-ray movie onto your hard drive. You can then burn this to your DL Blu-ray discs using ImgBurn.

Don't burn at max speed by the way.

And if you run into a disc that MakeMKV cannot handle, you might have to invest in AnyDVD HD, or DVDFab. Or wait for an update from MakeMKV. You will need to update MakeMKV every sixty days or so, putting in new versions as they are released, or putting in a new beta key from here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    Quote Quote  
  6. Dual-Layer burning has always been kind of problematic. It's not uncommon for (sometimes fake) disc batches to produce more bad than working burns. Of course you can try other software like suggested but I'd try to return the 50GB discs.

One of the many reasons people prefer mkv on HDD now instead of burning. (Or go Netflix...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm back from visiting family for Thanksgiving.

Thank you all so much for your quick and valuable replies. Will try your suggestions as soon as I can and post results.

Thanks again to all.

Jim

EDIT: I just looked for ImgBurn and there are two versions: 2.5.8 Ads, and 2.5.0 Adfree. Is there any difference other than one has ads and one doesn't?
    Last edited by searay; 28th Nov 2016 at 09:19. Reason: Added remark about ImgBurn
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try CloneBD and AnyDVD. It removes Cinavia as well.
    https://forum.redfox.bz/
    Quote Quote  
  9. I agree with the folks who say use MakeMKV and ImgBurn. Use the Adfree version. I use ImgBurn for writing music CDs and never had an issue. Just use slowest speed you can manage. DVDFab is meh, the quality isn't going to be as good as BDRB if you need to compress any. DVDFab's main appeal is speed and ease of use. As stated, it's not uncommon to get a batch of bad discs. That could be the problem, not necessarily the drive or ripping/burning software.
    Last edited by stonesfan129; 6th Dec 2016 at 13:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by searay View Post
    I'm back from visiting family for Thanksgiving.

Thank you all so much for your quick and valuable replies. Will try your suggestions as soon as I can and post results.

Thanks again to all.

Jim

EDIT: I just looked for ImgBurn and there are two versions: 2.5.8 Ads, and 2.5.0 Adfree. Is there any difference other than one has ads and one doesn't?

Generally as long as you do choose 'Custom' install and not Quick or Fast etc and look carefully at the options and unclick what you don't want go with the latest.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the copy protection had to be removed before I could copy my Blu-Ray dvds and only the commercial products could do that. Does MakeMKV do this or does it somehow get around this issue?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the copy protection had to be removed before I could copy my Blu-Ray dvds and only the commercial products could do that. Does MakeMKV do this or does it somehow get around this issue?
    MakeMKV will remove it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded MakeMKV from their website four times and always get a message that the version is too old to either click OK or Register (see attached image). If I click OK the program quits. If I click Register a pop-up asks me for a registration number. I can't find anyway to get a registration number on their website. What am I doing wrong?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MakeMKV.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	39856  

Quote Quote  
  14. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded MakeMKV from their website four times and always get a message that the version is too old to either click OK or Register (see attached image). If I click OK the program quits. If I click Register a pop-up asks me for a registration number. I can't find anyway to get a registration number on their website. What am I doing wrong?
    You must be downloading and old version, Go to the tool section on this site and try to download it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. No, the newest version has actually expired. If you follow TreeTops' link you will find a temporary key.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, By putting in a new key is the way to do it if your version has expired, Sometimes I just uninstall the version if it has expired and reinstall the new version with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Buy it! It's permanent then, no more mucking about every month.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all for advice and help on ImgBurn and MakeMKV. I was able to use TreeTops link and purchased MakeMKV, so... "no more mucking about" netmask56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm stuck already. I paid $50 for MakeMKV. I used it to "Backup" my Blu-ray copy of Jurassic Park. When I tried to use ImgBurn to burn the DVD it can't find the supported file it needs. MakeMKV backed up the disc to a file named "MKB_v25_JURASSIC_PARK_DOM.tgz". ImgBurn says that's not a valid format that it can use to burn a disc. What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You ripped the movie, that file is an mkv, it contains the original movie data unaltered
    But
    Mkv is not DVD file it is not a Blu Ray file
    You need to author aka create the correct file folders on the pc with authoring software
    Then use imgburn to make the disc
    You first said you bought bd discs now you say DVD
    They are not the same and not the same file structure
    I do not have a Blu Ray burner
    I have never authored a Blu Ray disc
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm stuck already. I paid $50 for MakeMKV. I used it to "Backup" my Blu-ray copy of Jurassic Park. When I tried to use ImgBurn to burn the DVD it can't find the supported file it needs. MakeMKV backed up the disc to a file named "MKB_v25_JURASSIC_PARK_DOM.tgz". ImgBurn says that's not a valid format that it can use to burn a disc. What am I doing wrong?
    A tgz file is a zipped archive. If you have 7-zip, it may let you see the contents and unzip it, if necessary. It has been a while since I had a tgz file so I'm not 100% certain that 7-zip can unzip it.

MakeMKV can rip Blu-ray discs as Blu-ray files and folders or as mkv files. There is no need to re-author anything. For instructions see http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4/category/4

Once you have the files and folders, open ImgBurn. In EZPicker mode you can use "Write files/folders to disc" to create a Blu-ray directly or use "Create image files from files/folders" and "Write image file to disc". You need BD media of sufficient capacity for burning.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks usually_quiet. It's good to get helpful guidance. I'm going to your link now and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    A tgz file is a zipped archive. If you have 7-zip, it may let you see the contents and unzip it, if necessary. It has been a while since I had a tgz file so I'm not 100% certain that 7-zip can unzip it.

MakeMKV can rip Blu-ray discs as Blu-ray files and folders or as mkv files. There is no need to re-author anything. For instructions see http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4/category/4

Once you have the files and folders, open ImgBurn. In EZPicker mode you can use "Write files/folders to disc" to create a Blu-ray directly or use "Create image files from files/folders" and "Write image file to disc". You need BD media of sufficient capacity for burning.
    Thanks, is there anything I can shrink it to BD25 size?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=searay;2469753]Ok, I'm stuck already. I paid $50 for MakeMKV. I used it to "Backup" my Blu-ray copy of Jurassic Park. When I tried to use ImgBurn to burn the DVD it can't find the supported file it needs. MakeMKV backed up the disc to a file named "MKB_v25_JURASSIC_PARK_DOM.tgz". ImgBurn says that's not a valid format that it can use to burn a disc. What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE

If you were going to spend $50 then you should have bought AnyDVD HD, Would have solved a lot of your problems, Copy to hard drive then shrink with BDRebuilder, Doesn't get any better then this.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shiris View Post
    Thanks, is there anything I can shrink it to BD25 size?
    BDRebuilder is most often recommended for that here at VideoHelp. Guide: https://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/blu-ray-copy/262-copy-blu-ray-using-bd-rebuilder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tarzan54, why, in all of the above posts, was this not suggested? I'm really disappointed and crushed. I asked for help and guidance because I have no experience in this area. I'm 73 years old, retired, living on social security and a pension with no money to waste. Now I'm told I wasted my $50 because I was led to believe MakeMKV and ImgBurn was the only way to go. Will MakeMKV refund my money? Probably not. At this point I do not know who to listen to, or what to do.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tarzan54, why, in all of the above posts, was this not suggested? I'm really disappointed and crushed. I asked for help and guidance because I have no experience in this area. I'm 73 years old, retired, living on social security and a pension with no money to waste. Now I'm told I wasted my $50 because I was led to believe MakeMKV and ImgBurn was the only way to go. Will MakeMKV refund my money? Probably not. At this point I do not know who to listen to, or what to do.
    MakeMKV was recommended to you because it is free while in beta. Had you used the link in TreeTops post to get a new product key, you could have continued continue to use the current beta version of MakeMKV for free until some time in January. It isn't hard to copy a new key from the webpage at TreeTop's link and paste the key into the appropriate prompt in MakeMKV.

AnyDVD HD is subscription based. The subscription price mentioned is for one year, so buyers will need to pay again to renew their license every year. There is a 20% off sale now. The regular price is 59 euros/year.

I'm not sure if the fee for MakeMKV is for a subscription plan or not. They won't refund your money.

[Edit]I found the answer regarding MakeMKV purchase. According to http://www.makemkv.com/buy/ : "Registration key is valid for all MakeMKV versions on all platforms. There is no expiration time or any subscriptions." That seems like a better deal than AnyDVD HD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Dec 2016 at 11:41. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet, thanks for your good advice and the time you have spent helping me, it really is appreciated. As I said in one of the previous posts, I did in fact use TreeTops link.

After thinking all of this over I no longer feel that I wasted my $50. MakeMKV IS a good buy compared to other copy programs and they deserve to be paid for their work. Now I just have to go through the process of burning a working copy of a BR disc to be sure I understand how to do it and have all the necessary tools.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet, thanks for your good advice and the time you have spent helping me, it really is appreciated. As I said in one of the previous posts, I did in fact use TreeTops link.
    Sorry, I forgot that is what you did

After thinking all of this over I no longer feel that I wasted my $50. MakeMKV IS a good buy compared to other copy programs and they deserve to be paid for their work. Now I just have to go through the process of burning a working copy of a BR disc to be sure I understand how to do it and have all the necessary tools.
    Verbatim BD-R media (other than their LTH media) burns well and is a good choice, but unless you "shrink" the movie, you will probably need 50 GB BD-R DL media which costs significantly more than 25GB BD-R. BD-RE media is re-writable. It may be worth getting a few BD-RE discs to use while you are figuring out your process. Note that BD-RE is not intended for long-term storage.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12C-0055-000A9&Tpk=12C-0055-000A9
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/791914-REG/Verbatim_97536_50GB_2x_Branded_Blu_ray.html

Copying Blu-ray works well most of the time. Cinavia copy protection can prevent some individual Blu-ray rips from playing with a Blu-ray player, but only a small percentage of movies employ it. Sony uses Cinavia more than other studios.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Dec 2016 at 12:16.
    Quote Quote