VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to virtually bring up a pdf in 3d space and animate a zoom on sections of it, how do i do this?

here is an example of what I want to do, http://tinypic.com/r/2ef0sk3/9
    Last edited by Gaby_64; 22nd Nov 2016 at 08:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need an NLE that has 2.5D animation. IOW, X,Y and Z(depth). Most do.

An you rotate, spin, flip, whatever based on a timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You might try one of the 'Ken Burns' slide show type apps?... I made the attached sample clip using an old version of Canopus Imaginate, together with Virtualdub and a simple Avisynth script. The last two of those are free...

I'm not sure if Imaginate itself is still available?... but there are several alternatives...although as budwzr says, you will need to check that the app can handle 'z' mode..

EDIT: I've added a second 'zoom' from a higher resolution PDF scan (600ppi) ...See post #11
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by pippas; 23rd Nov 2016 at 15:48. Reason: added info
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it safe to assume that the OP will have to export the pdf as a jpg or some other image format for import into an app? I ask because I do not know if there is any editing app that will import a pdf file

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  5. Lots of image programs can import PDFs as vector art. You could export a series of bitmaps with increasing zoom...

...the simplest method though, would be to grab a HUGE bitmap from the PDF and zoom it in the editor:

zoom PDF reader to full page.
    [Attachment 39640 - Click to enlarge]

select the portion you want to show
    [Attachment 39641 - Click to enlarge]

zoom in to 200%, 400%, 1600% or whatever, right-click, copy
    [Attachment 39642 - Click to enlarge]

You can go as big as your editor will allow.
    [Attachment 39643 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    Is it safe to assume that the OP will have to export the pdf as a jpg or some other image format for import into an app? I ask because I do not know if there is any editing app that will import a pdf file

Brainiac
    Well, the sample PDF page I used for my short clip in post#3 was imported into Photoshop as a PDF page, and exported as a .png for processing in Imaginate, which does't accept PDF inputs directly.

The same is probably true for most other NLEs and 'slide show' apps.....Still looks pretty much the same as the original document though
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post

Brainiac
    Well, the sample PDF page I used for my short clip in post#3 was imported into Photoshop as a PDF page, and exported as a .png for processing in Imaginate, which does't accept PDF inputs directly.

The same is probably true for most other NLEs and 'slide show' apps.....Still looks pretty much the same as the original document though
    Thanks for the info. I was just wondering.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't forget PDFs have their own resolution too. So if created as 300dpi it will convert great, but not so good on 100dpi. 75dpi are junk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, The best rez for the source should be >= 2x dpi of most zoomed in segment (match the zoomed rez but supersampling).

So for most beautiful, smooth but crystal clear look in FHD throughout the animation, if you had for example a 8.5"x11" pdf page and are going to do a KB zoom move into 1/8th the page (basically 3.75"x2.25" if you pillarbox your 4:3 landscape section), you want at least 1200dpi.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Same as raffriff42
    Vector representation is preferred way to work in 3D - it will allow to create highest quality - 2D texture must be insanely high res especially for 'zoom in' where it can be infeasible to provide high quality even with 2D texture rendered with for example 3000DPI.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I looked at the sample the OP linked to - which is not very hi res, but conveys the idea of what he is looking for..

My sample clip in post#3 is a single page from an online camcorder manual PDF, imported to Photoshop, and exported as a 23 x 16 cm .png with a resolution of 200ppi. The file is only 181KB.

That seems to 'zoom' quite reasonably - using Imaginate - to display the text without too much pixelation as a 1280 x 702 video file.... I should probably have gone a little higher resolution - 300 ppi or even 600 ppi perhaps? - but for 'zoomed' text reproduction, I don't think it looks too bad...

EDIT: I tried out another Imaginate 'zoom' using the same PDF page scanned in at 600ppi - I think it looks quite reasonable, resolution wise....for such a simple solution..
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by pippas; 23rd Nov 2016 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Same as raffriff42
    Vector representation is preferred way to work in 3D - it will allow to create highest quality - 2D texture must be insanely high res especially for 'zoom in' where it can be infeasible to provide high quality even with 2D texture rendered with for example 3000DPI.
    2.5D animation software does not support vector graphics, so you'd have to jump up to a "Full 3D" software. Steep learning curve.
    Quote Quote