VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    This is the best tool I've seen with regards of MKV<->MP4 conversion. Absolutely terrific job!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by zioneed View Post
    This is the best tool I've seen with regards of MKV<->MP4 conversion. Absolutely terrific job!!
    I agree. I hope this remains a simple single purpose tool and doesn't try to bloat into yet another general purpose convert-any-to-any program.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    I agree. I hope this remains a simple single purpose tool and doesn't try to bloat into yet another general purpose convert-any-to-any program.
    Don't worry, I totally agree.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    The more I use this tool the more I love it, simply perfect in terms of doing his job great!
    I would stay away form adding any video feature, but would think about audio conversion.
    AC3 and DTS to aac and he-aac, and7or audio fps conversion (like pal to NTSC and vice-versa), say 25<->23.976 fps and so on. Really no idea how hard his would be, and no top priority really. But something useful for many, here in Europe. Not really a request, simply a suggestion
    Other than that can't really think of anything else!

PS: as for fps audio conversion MEGUI in the audio encoder settings has a "framerate" drop-down menu.

Again, thanks for the software, really GREAT!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for this tool. I was looking for a simple solution for MP4<->MKV remux when dealing with HEVC (unsupported with Video Container Changer and most tools are not maintained).

The look is just different from what I've seen so far, but I like it. Now I just began to use it but I have a question

When I repack an MKV(hevc) into MP4 MediaInfo tells me that the video stream goes form "constant framerate" to "variable framerate". When I take the output MP4 and I repack it back to MKV it's "constant framerate" again. That's odd knowing there is no conversion, just a repack. It probably doesn't affect playback at all but I would like to know where this comes from. Is this a bug ?

I also have a feature request if you take them : A checkbox in the general options "Always use source directory for output". It's a very common option and I personally use it as much as possible.

Again, good job on that program!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by zioneed View Post
    AC3 and DTS to aac and he-aac
    AC3 and DTS to AAC is already supported, no 'HE' at the moment but that would be easily enough to add if it's something that would be useful to people.

Originally Posted by zioneed View Post
    fps conversion (like pal to NTSC and vice-versa), say 25<->23.976 fps and so on
    Can you expand on this? Do you mean change both audio and video? Or just the audio to match a video from a different source?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by EkinoXx View Post
    The look is just different from what I've seen so far, but I like it.
    Yeh I know, the look may throw people a little. It will also slightly change again soon to have continuity will something else I'm working on, but should be even easier to use.

Originally Posted by EkinoXx View Post
    When I repack an MKV(hevc) into MP4 MediaInfo tells me that the video stream goes form "constant framerate" to "variable framerate". When I take the output MP4 and I repack it back to MKV it's "constant framerate" again. That's odd knowing there is no conversion, just a repack. It probably doesn't affect playback at all but I would like to know where this comes from. Is this a bug ?
    Don't worry, it's just Mediainfo. I can't remember the exact answer but it's something to do with the way mediainfo does its timings. I hear people over at the handbrake forum say the same thing when they encode to MKV or MP4.

Originally Posted by EkinoXx View Post
    I also have a feature request if you take them : A checkbox in the general options "Always use source directory for output". It's a very common option and I personally use it as much as possible.
    At the moment source and destination are independent of each other and will always default to the location you used last for each. But yes, if you input from different folders and want to save next to the source your suggestion would be helpful. I'll add that option.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    MediaInfo analyzes only header fields of a media file, but not the entire length. Different containers have different "habits" of storing similar attributes. For the MP4 container, it seems to be quite usual to store a kind of range for frame rates, even though the actual frame rate may be constant for all frames during the whole playback time (which MediaInfo will not check). I don't know whether you have to blame the MP4 specifications here, or rather a specific MP4 multiplexer, for not being very strict.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    AC3 and DTS to aac and he-aac
    AC3 and DTS to AAC is already supported, no 'HE' at the moment but that would be easily enough to add if it's something that would be useful to people.

fps conversion (like pal to NTSC and vice-versa), say 25<->23.976 fps and so on
    Can you expand on this? Do you mean change both audio and video? Or just the audio to match a video from a different source?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Sorry for the late reply!
    I am in Europe and being fond of TV shows my workflow usually requires also audio conversion.
    Personally speaking this is the best tool for mkv<->mp4 conversion, and yours is wise choice. I mean, there's plenty of tools for video conversion, what was missing was a real game changer since most of my TV seasons are mkv or BR conversions to HEVC. Aside from that being in Europe means the video standard is PAL, which means 25 fps. NTSC videos are 23.976 fps. What I do is muxing US video to Italian audio. This means that I need to change audio fps stream. 25fps to 23.976 and then mux with re-encoded video stream.
    MEGUI offers in the audio section a tool, or a drop-down menu, to change fps audio speed: NTSC to PAL and vice-versa (in the audio encoder settings->config->time modification). Quick and works great. No idea how complicated this would be to add but would be another bit to make your tool a real killer.
    Hope my explanation is clear enough
    Thanks again for your hard work!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Clean and simple tool that works extremely well, thank you so much. AC3 is supported for input but not for output, and I prefer AC3 for MKV. Do you have plans to include this?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    AC3 is supported for output if it comes as input, and you set up audio processing to "COPY".

Unfortunately, there are not many good AC3 encoders out there; and even less are free. If you want to convert audio to AC3, you may have to decide between eac3to and ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. BOX4 does a fantastic job MKV AC3 > MP4 AAC. MP4's don't usually come with AC3 to copy(passthrough).

I was asking the author if he had plans to add AC3 to PROFILES to convert audio (AAC) to AC3 within BOX4 so I wouldn't need to use eac3to. Sorry I wasn't clear.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Well, AC3 in MP4 is not at all unusual anymore. Usual standard MP4 multiplexers (MP4Box, L-SMASH) support it. Many consumer devices supporting the MP4 container should support AC3 audio streams as well, as they should support most content formats inside DVB sources.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ninaz, I'm in the same boat. (Used to use rebox.NET when that still encoded to ac3) Try using avidemux and set the video to copy, audio to ac3 (aften) and set up the muxer to whatever you want. (You may need to use MKVToolnix to remux and change the aspect ratio afterwards.)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't used Avidemux in quite some time and completely forgot about it's muxing capabilities. It's working very nicely, thanks very much. Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Glad it helped.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I tried using the latest verion of Box 1.0 2017011

I tried adding .ass subtitle file, but it showed the following message

"The input file is not compatible with BOX4 ?"
    Quote Quote  
  18. I don't think you are meant to add separate .ass files. Instead, the .ass file needs to be embed as a track into the mkv first. Start MKVToolNix GUI, drag&drop both the video file and the .ass file into it and merge them to a new .mkv file. Then process said .mkv file with BOX4.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Tried your tool, does exactly as says no problem. The only thing i found is that if file contains chapters, the output produces a double chapter file, one standard and one as text, which shows on screen as chapter1, chapter2 etc etc....

Here is the text from mediainfo

Menu #1
    00:07:44.000 : Chapter 02
    00:15:28.000 : Chapter 03
    00:23:12.000 : Chapter 04
    00:30:56.000 : Chapter 05
    00:38:40.000 : Chapter 06
    00:46:24.000 : Chapter 07
    00:54:08.000 : Chapter 08

Menu #2
    ID : 4
    Codec ID : text
    Duration : 1 h 1 min
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-10-29 08:20:50
    Tagged date : UTC 2017-10-29 08:20:50
    Bit rate mode : CBR
    Menu For : 1
    Duration_LastFrame : -3808
    00:00:00.000 : Chapter 01
    00:07:44.000 : Chapter 02
    00:15:28.000 : Chapter 03
    00:23:12.000 : Chapter 04
    00:30:56.000 : Chapter 05
    00:38:40.000 : Chapter 06
    00:46:24.000 : Chapter 07
    00:54:08.000 : Chapter 08
    Quote Quote  
  20. Weird things happening. So I had it running great on a windows server 2012, and then moved to a windows 10 environment, clean install, everything works except for drag and drop. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote