VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I have a video containing discussion between two people.
    The sound is not that good, I used Audacity to remove most of the background noise.

The result is much better yet I have 2 issue I would like to improve.

1. Sometime the talking a bit tinny.

2. One of the persons volume is a less high, and I want to make it higher, if possible.

Can anyone tip me if and how I can improve these issues

tx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. Sometime the talking a bit tinny.
    Maybe you have overfiltered. If you drop the highs and the lows, you get 'telephone sound'.
    I'd try different filter settings.

2. One of the persons volume is a less high, and I want to make it higher, if possible.
    Not likely, unless the two people are on separate audio channels.

If you could upload a maybe 30 second sound byte from the original recording, others here could probably suggest specific suggestions to improve the audio. Generally, less filtering is better, sometimes the best you can do.

But Audacity has lots of options and there may be
    better ways to filter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If voices don't overlap, you could ride gain.

You may or may not be able to get better sound overall by partial reverse/compensating eq. If data is no longer there, you cannot really get it back even with subharm/superharm excitation synthesis.
    Plus, this tinnyness may actually be due to comb filtering, making things much more complicated.

Can you post a source clip?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is the first time I do it, so I am not familiar with most of what you suggested.Before posing I was trying to understand a bit more, but as you say, it is a complicated tool... So if it possible I need a bit more guiding regarding the "how"..
    What I did after extracting the audio from the movie using Microsoft Movie Maker is
    1. Open it using Audacity
    2. Found a very short (maybe a second of silence) to get the noise profile (Effect -> Noise Removal -> Get Noise Profile)
    3. Select all and Effect -> Repeat Noise Removal.
    I tried it twice. First with default values. Second time reducing Noise reduction from 25(default) to 20db. I felt the result was better the first time.

So,
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Maybe you have overfiltered. If you drop the highs and the lows, you get 'telephone sound'.
    I'd try different filter settings.
    What are the filter setting, and what to (try) change?

Originally Posted by redwudz View Post

Not likely, unless the two people are on separate audio channels.
    There are not two channels, but I would assume and of course I might be wrong, it is possible somehow to "normalize" the overall volume of the video.
    Meaning, to define some high-low volume ratio or level, and let the audacity do its processing, without really identify who speaks each second.
    Maybe this what Scott target in his answer.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If voices don't overlap, you could ride gain.

You may or may not be able to get better sound overall by partial reverse/compensating eq. If data is no longer there, you cannot really get it back even with subharm/superharm excitation synthesis.
    Plus, this tinnyness may actually be due to comb filtering, making things much more complicated.

Can you post a source clip?

Scott
    As for your answer scott..
    Im so sorry but all the technical terms are currently inscrutable to me

I uploaded short audio track..Although I think in this fragment the woman relatively sound clearer comparing to other times along the track, yet with lower volume and less quality comparing the man. I still prefer to upload this one hoping it will be good enough sample
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by OJNSim View Post
    I tried it twice. First with default values. Second time reducing Noise reduction from 25(default) to 20db. I felt the result was better the first time.
    You can use Levelator to get the volume all pretty much the same level. But it increases that noise as well.

If I'm running noise reduction over dialog (as opposed to just the silence between dialog), I use three. Run it multiple times if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by OJNSim View Post
    You can use Levelator to get the volume all pretty much the same level. But it increases that noise as well.

If I'm running noise reduction over dialog (as opposed to just the silence between dialog), I use three. Run it multiple times if necessary.
    I used Levelator to normalize ...I think indeed it improved the voice level...
    But still the problem with the tinny voice after noise removal exist.
    What are the filters referred above that I can try to adjust ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by OJNSim View Post
    But still the problem with the tinny voice after noise removal exist.
    If you're really using 20 as your noise removal setting, that number is way too high. Use a much lower number. As I mentioned, I use 3. And use it several times. I also use 3 for sensitivity and 3 for frequency smoothing bands. Even so, though, the noise level (especially after using Levalator on it) is just too high and I don't think you'll be able to successfully remove all of it.

I sometimes improve (but not get rid of) the tinny voices by running the Low Pass Filter set for 2281. I'm sure others have better ideas because I'm far from an expert at removing noise from audio.
    Quote Quote