VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I have been using PC my whole life and I've recently decided to get a LG/Samsung 4k TV. Most of the content I plan to watch is from my PC hard drive, mostly in .mkv or .mp4.
    What do you guys believe to be the best way to play the files from PC on the TV? (I'd also prefer to be able to see the subtitles which are in .srt format)
    And if the files are in 720p/1080p, would the TV convert/improve the video quality?

Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could get the latest Chromecast with 4K support and stream wireless from your PC to the TV. But you might get problem with too high bitrates(only 4K video) on a slow wifi connection. And the chrome apps for streaming files are not the best.

Or connect your PC directly to your TV with a long HDMI cable. If your PC has HDMI output then (with audio also).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by epiphone5 View Post
    Hi all,

I have been using PC my whole life and I've recently decided to get a LG/Samsung 4k TV. Most of the content I plan to watch is from my PC hard drive, mostly in .mkv or .mp4.
    What do you guys believe to be the best way to play the files from PC on the TV? (I'd also prefer to be able to see the subtitles which are in .srt format)
    And if the files are in 720p/1080p, would the TV convert/improve the video quality?

Thank you in advance!
    I think all of LG's and Samsung's current 4K TVs are smart TVs. I have experimented with streaming video from a Windows PC to a Samsung smart HD TV using DLNA and a wireless network. I followed the instructions in the TV manual to set up sharing for the drive containing the video I wanted to watch, and add the TV to the network as a media device. The TV includes a media browser that allowed me to look for the file on the PC that I wanted to play. The video (1080i MPEG-2) played, but buffered. I didn't have one available to test with, but a wired home network would probably have worked better. There were no subtitles for the file, so I don't know if they would have played automatically or not. The TV manual will probably contain a list of supported internal and external subtitle formats for MKV and MP4.

The TV will upscale video to the TV's native resolution. Since most UHD TVs have a very large large screen, defects in the video will be more visible if you are sitting close enough. The TV can't really improve the quality of the video, even if there are settings designed to enhance various things.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Nov 2016 at 10:30. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote