VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, Having problems with inserting the special caracter "eighth note" in order to do closed captions
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ths question has been asked before over the years - here's a nice, simple solution:
    Originally Posted by SaferSephiroth
    ...I've never had a problem writing the musical notes "♪" & "♫" just by typing [Alt]+13 and [Alt]+14 respectively. Whenever I come across an .srt that is supposed to have those notes I merely open it up in notepad (yes, notepad) scroll down to the necessary line, correct the note, and presto, music notes...
    Quote Quote  
  3. The extended DOS character set:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

The numeric values starting with the top row:

0 - 31
    32 - 63
    64 - 95
    96 - 127
    128 - 159
    160 - 191
    192 - 223
    224 - 255

In some programs you can get most of them by holding down ALT, typing the 1 to 3 digit number, then releasing ALT. I don't think this works in Notepad anymore though.

<edit>
    You can get some characters in Notepad by holding down ALT, typing 0 on the numeric keypad, then the 1 to 3 digit number. But this doesn't work for most of the "non-printable" characters below 32. There is a workaround though. Open a DOS window and type ALT014 (or whichever number corresponds to the character you want) and press Enter. You'll see a ^N where you typed the character but the error message will display the character you typed:

[Attachment 39534 - Click to enlarge]

Use the Edit -> Mark menu to mark the ♫ character, and Edit -> Copy it to the copy/paste buffer.

[Attachment 39535 - Click to enlarge]

Then you can paste it into Notepad.

Crap, it doesn't work for character 13 because it gets mapped to a carriage return (Enter). Even if you use a hex editor to set the value it will probably be interpreted as a carriage return by the subtitle renderer.

<edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Nov 2016 at 20:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, not every font includes all the special closed captioning characters. You must also make sure that the font used to display the captions includes the special characters that you need.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Works in my notepad ♪
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Works in my notepad ♪
    Can't get it to work here on Win7 or Win10.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Nov 2016 at 23:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What characters you get in DOS and notepad etc. depends on what codepage is active at the time. Mine uses 437 for dos and works fine but must use 1252 if I want to use filenames with ellipsis and em mark in them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_201 Nov. 16 01.48.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	39538
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Please, forget the 7-bit era and the whole codepage nonsense...

just use Unicode, problem solved.

Font = "Lucida Sans Unicode"

♪ ♫

Font = "Arial"

♪ ♫

Codepoints used: 266A, 266B

P.S.: Forget "closed captions" as well
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    How good is unicode support outside of software media players -- the players built into HDTVs or Roku, for example? Also, I can copy/paste the characters from a firefox to notepad (then save as unicode), but is there a way to type them in if you don't have easy access to a document from which to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Can't get it to work here on Win7 or Win10.
    hold down the ALT key, press and release Numberpad 1, press and release Numberpad 3, release ALT key
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but is there a way to a them in
    Type them directly into what? Explained above, notepad, subtitle edit, dos all work differently on different pc's. Where do you want to type them directly?
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    How good is unicode support outside of software media players -- the players built into HDTVs or Roku, for example? Also, I can copy/paste the characters from a firefox to notepad (then save as unicode), but is there a way to type them in if you don't have easy access to a document from which to do that?
    That's why I also said:

Originally Posted by myself
    In other words, the O.P. should be using bitmap-based subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's why I also said:

Originally Posted by myself
    In other words, the O.P. should be using bitmap-based subtitles.
    The sorts of players Jagabo is discussing don't always support bitmap-based subtitles, or only partially support them. srt probably has the widest support of any type of subtitle.

[Edit] I looked at the list of supported subtitle types for my mother's Blu-ray player. VobSub is supported for locally stored files, but DLNA streaming requires text-based subtitles.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Nov 2016 at 18:55.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote