VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure why they released it this way, but hoping it can be decombed or aliasing improved before I change to ntsc specs.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's all aliasing, not combing, caused by them making it 4:3 and not 16:9. There's not enough resolution to resolve fine lines.

When anti-aliasing it's a fine line between getting rid of the aliasing and losing too much other detail, so you have to decide for yourself when enough is enough. Or apply it just on the parts needing it and leave the rest alone. This would have been much worse in a 4:3 NTSC DVD. Anyway, you can try:

QTGMC( Preset="Slower", InputType=2, ProgSADMask=12.0 )

And decide if it's good enough for you. The work that can be done improving progressive sources such as this is well explained in the QTGMC doc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
    When using separatefields, it looks like the duplicate field in each pair isnt an exact duplicate so I was wondering if it was possible to output the first field with a duplicate, omitting the original 2nd field? Would the result look better?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    When using separatefields, it looks like the duplicate field in each pair isnt an exact duplicate so I was wondering if it was possible to output the first field with a duplicate, omitting the original 2nd field? Would the result look better?
    I'm not sure what you mean. I looked at the video, field-by-field, and it looks like a standard progressive PAL video. Therefore, each field pair is from the same moment in time, but from a different place in space, which is why they aren't perfectly identical, i.e., the even fields are NOT just the odd fields shifted by one scan line. So, if you were to drop one field and replace it with a neighbor, you'd be throwing away half of your vertical resolution. While that can sometimes be a good tradeoff, I don't think it helps anything here, because the aliasing from the improper resizing will not be made any better by doing that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I though it might eliminate the mice teeth, which is perhaps more prominent in other scenes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try this:
    main=last
    main
    Santiag() # reduce aliasing
    filtered=last
    main
    mt_edge().mt_expand
    mymask=last
    mt_merge(main, filtered, mymask)
    note: this code keeps finer details. It's better than using santiag only imo, zoom x4 and you'll see
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Try this:
    main=last
    main
    Santiag() # reduce aliasing
    filtered=last
    main
    mt_edge().mt_expand
    mymask=last
    mt_merge(main, filtered, mymask)
    note: this code keeps finer details. It's better than using santiag only imo, zoom x4 and you'll see
    Thanks, but it doesnt seem to do enough.

I'd still like to know how to output duplicate fields thru decimation, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    I'd still like to know how to output duplicate fields thru decimation, etc.
    That question, as phrased, makes no sense. If you're referring to your earlier question:
    When using separatefields, it looks like the duplicate field in each pair isnt an exact duplicate so I was wondering if it was possible to output the first field with a duplicate, omitting the original 2nd field?
    then:

SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(2,0,0)
    #Weave()#(?)

Would the result look better?
    No.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses. I used the QTMC line with some tweaking.

Inre Weave, the frames look interlaced rather than progressive, which I guess was predictable (?).

EDIT: The tweaking was this:
    QTGMC( Preset="Slow", InputType=3, ProgSADMask=80.0,TR2=3 )
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 7th Nov 2017 at 13:20.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I used the QTMC line with some tweaking.
    Thanks for sharing the tweaks. Hm?

Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    Inre Weave, the frames look interlaced rather than progressive, which I guess was predictable (?).
    Didn't look interlaced to me. Just sloppy processing by the maker. Line twitter and busted lines don't look like interlace IMO.

Below and attached is the best I could get with the QTGMC idea. Can't rid of the damn line twitter at the start. I see Brit films doing this often. Don't know why.

Code:
    MPEG2Source("VTS_01_1.demuxed.d2v")
    Crop(8,60,-8,-60)
    QTGMC(Preset="very Slow", InputType=2, ProgSADMask=12.0)
    supaa()
    Dither_convert_8_to_16()
    Dither_resize16(720,480, kernel="Spline36", cplace="MPEG2")
    DitherPost()
    LSFMod()
    AddGrainC(2.0,2.0)
    Assumefps("ntsc_film")
    return last

### --- Resize mod of the old supaa anti-alias function ----
    FUNCTION supaa(Clip Clp,Int"SS",Bool"CP") {
    OX = Clp.Width
    OY = Clp.Height
    SS = Default(SS,2)
    CP = Default(CP,True)
    Clp = Clp.IsYV12() ? Clp : Clp.ConvertToYV12()
    Clp.nnedi2_rpow2(rfactor=SS,cshift="BilinearResize",qual=3).SangNom().TurnRight()
    \  .SangNom().TurnLeft().Spline36Resize(OX,OY)
    CP ? Last : MergeChroma(Clp)
    Return(Last) }
    Would be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a good solution. I see this often in retail and broadcast films. TMC prints are some of the worst offenders.
    Image Attached Files
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Thanks for sharing the tweaks. Hm?
    I only tweaked QTGMC line to work better with another sample, which I'll upload.
    QTGMC( Preset="Slow", InputType=3, ProgSADMask=80.0,TR2=3 )

Didn't look interlaced to me. Just sloppy processing by the maker. Line twitter and busted lines don't look like interlace IMO.
    Not sure if you're talking about the original clip. I was referring to using "weave" in manono's later script after separating fields.

I like the minimizing of mice teeth (and/or dot crawl) although I had to omit the "Dither" filter because dll wouldnt load. The script didnt quite work with my other sample - had some problems around the horizontal lines in the glass wall, which you'll see.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote