VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some data DVDs and CDRs from some years ago that were not finalized. I no longer have the software they were burned with so my computer cannot read the discs. Apparently the program was propitiatory. Is there a hacker trick or magic potion that can finalize any disc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you can provide the name of the proprietary program that you used to create these disks, there is little chance someone can suggest a method for safely finalizing them. Even with that information, it's possible that you won't receive a suggestion that will enable you to safely finalize those discs today.

A general data recovery program, like ISOBuster or CDRoller is probably your best bet for recovering the data without finalizing the discs. If there is one, try the free/demo version first to see if it can show you what is on the discs. If it can, buying the software may be a worthwhile investment. The full/paid versions tend to make data recovery much easier.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Nov 2016 at 17:22.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Usually. I should have mentioned that I tried ISObuster with no success. I'll give CDRoller a shot. And I have used several programs over the years and can't be sure what was used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What does "no success" mean?
    Quote Quote  
  5. That it didn't work. No data.No recovery. So far no response with CDRoller either. I think I'm just hosed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That proprietary system wasn't Nero InCD by any remote chance ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No data? Did it crash? Did it show up as a recognizable disc at all? Did you read which format of disc was being described? (iso9660, udf, joliet, hfs, romeo,...) Did you read about the finalization state? Did the hex dump show data or zeros?

Even a proprietary disc will give you this info. Or was it corrupted/scratched and having trouble reading?

See what I mean - you are not giving us enough info.

Btw, Isobuster can read packet-written discs such as Nero InCD.

Note: even a partial, open, multisession encrypted disc should be able to have its data viewed and ripped with proper use of the proper tools.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13th Nov 2016 at 21:14.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I never had Nero. It could have been Deep Burner or Roxio. CDRoller did say there was data but nothing was recovered. I'll need to go through the process again to detail the steps. Thank you everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Note that ISOBuster is not marketed as a data recovery app. It CAN do that if you know which things to take advantage of, but it doesn't do "recovery" automatically. But it can actually do much more than that including disc recovery (different than already-corrupted data recovery), multi-system reading & ripping.

Scott

Edit--my mistake. They are now billing themselves as a data recovery software. Bit of a misnomer really, because while they have the ability to give you data that you thought you no longer had access to, if that data has already been corrupted by other happenings (electronic, magnetic interference, etc) what it gives you may not be workable as-is.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 14th Nov 2016 at 00:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Btw, Isobuster can read packet-written discs such as Nero InCD.

Scott
    Twas but a thought. A program that I used many years back when my knowledge of disk systems was little better than it is now.

I thought of Nero since the OP mentioned 'proprietory' but that might have been a red herring. Surely most programs write to disks in a standard way ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hmm Adaptec used to have a proprietary multi session Cd function in the 90's (I used to use it). This way you did not have to burn a full disc and you can spread it out over however long you needed it open for, burning on occasion a new session. I also recall nothing back then that was able to see the disc until it was fully finalized and the last session closed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Adaptec and Cequadrat became Roxio. ISOBuster has been able to read cequadrat & roxio discs for ages, so I'm pretty sure it also reads adaptec's. Sees all sessions, all sector formats.
    Haven't found a (non-rediculously-scratched) disc yet that I haven't been able to read with it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Adaptec and Cequadrat became Roxio. ISOBuster has been able to read cequadrat & roxio discs for ages, so I'm pretty sure it also reads adaptec's. Sees all sessions, all sector formats.
    Haven't found a (non-rediculously-scratched) disc yet that I haven't been able to read with it.

Scott

Back then may have been a bit different. I recall trying ISObuster on an adaptec disc. It saw the last session only but nothing before that, then again that was also the 1990's. The newest versions should have no issue with reading his discs.

phantomengineer
    Just throwing it out there though pretty sure they had no proprietary software but have you looked at NTI cd maker pro?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks for your advice guys. I was able to extract the data with ISOBuster. It took me a few tries but I got it as an ISO and then easy conversion to flac.
    Quote Quote