VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am wondering which app is a good choice for removing interlacing while ripping.

It would be awesome if that same app had the capability to crop/pan and manually change aspect ratio!

Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake or Vidcoder, pretty easy to use for x264.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Handbrake or Vidcoder, pretty easy to use for x264.
    Thank you I shall try them out
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're working with purely interlaced video (would it be safe to assume you're working with PAL DVDs?) rather than NTSC, disabling Handbrake's/Vidcoder's Decomb filter if need be and selecting "bob" as the de-interlacing method will de-interlace to 50fps progressive. Most devices will play it these days. The output will look smoother than de-interlacing to 25fps. When you watch an interlaced DVD on a progressive display, the player/TV is usually de-interlacing to 50fps.

Handbrake's designed to not let you mess with the aspect ratio as such. It'll resize, and resize to square pixels (the "anamorphic none" method does that) but it'll calculate the resizing for you so as not to distort the picture. That's generally what you want, but you can set your own aspect ratio and resizing with "anamorphic custom" as long as you know what you're doing.

If you want to adjust the copping for different sections of video you'd probably want to use and Avisynth based GUI but that'd have more of a learning curve.

Probably the best quality de-interlacing comes courtesy of QTGMC, which is an Avisynth script for de-interlacing with various other plugins. I think these days StaxRip comes with QTGMC ready to use, as does Hybrid. QTGMC is very slow though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. And that's only for actual deinterlacing of real interlaced sources. Not field-blended material or phase-shifted material which neither of the two programs mentioned can do anything remotely correct with. And both cases are far more common than one might think in PAL DVDs and television broadcasts. And if skribby is deciding something is interlaced because of something some program tells him, and it was only encoded as interlaced but the content is really progressive, then all bets are off and deinterlacing it in any way, shape or form will only seriously degrade it. skribby might make available 10 seconds from the source, one with steady movement, so we can check for him.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks a lot guys.

Right now I have done a rip using WinX because I was impatient, and the de-interlacing seemed to have worked. The DVD in question (Xavier Renegade Angel both seasons) has been authored by incompetents as the aspect ratio is incorrect on both DVDs (the material is 16:9 but the frames are squished with fake letterboxing), and they're also different from season to season, and in one specific episode the aspect ratio shifts from 16:19 to something else and back and forth so I decided that I have to modify the aspect ratio + crop out the irregular letterboxing with Magix Vegas manually.

UPDATE: the WinX deinterlace was not good. In fact, it looks like crap. It doesn't jitter now, but the de-combing is off-kilter so it looks all pixelated.

It's not a PAL DVD. Well, it's from the US so I'll assume it's NTSC.

manono: To what format do I rip those 10 seconds?

UPDATE 2
    I just ripped using Deint bob in Handbrake. It's still pixelated (but the actual deinterlacing seems pretty good). I'm beginning to think this is the DVD author's fault....
    Last edited by skribby; 12th Nov 2016 at 20:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by skribby View Post
    Yes, it almost certainly is. But I can be forgiven for thinking it was PAL because it says you're in Europe. It also means my comment about it possibly being phase-shifted would probably not be relevant because those are mostly PAL.

To cut a piece from a DVD (right?) open a VOB in DGIndex, scroll to an appropriate place and then use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a section. Then go File->Save Project File and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V here or to some 3rd-party file sharing site. And you probably won't want to deinterlace it. IVTC, maybe, but not deinterlace. And if you're going to work with anime it'll be in your best interests to learn AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by skribby View Post
    Yes, it almost certainly is. But I can be forgiven for thinking it was PAL because it says you're in Europe. It also means my comment about it possibly being phase-shifted would probably not be relevant because those are mostly PAL.

To cut a piece from a DVD (right?) open a VOB in DGIndex, scroll to an appropriate place and then use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a section. Then go File->Save Project File and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V here or to some 3rd-party file sharing site. And you probably won't want to deinterlace it. IVTC, maybe, but not deinterlace. And if you're going to work with anime it'll be in your best interests to learn AviSynth.

I only bought the DVD because I coulnd't find a good release online so this is not something I do often.

Thanks for the help. I'll upload a clip from each season tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

Crap, the disc is not openable in DGindex. I tried another DVD movie and it played fine in DGindex but Xavier Renegade Angel won't load at all.

I guess this is the end of the line for me. I should be able to restore the quality in Avisynth tho right?
    It made my South Park DVD rip look pretty damn nice, altho Xavier is 3D CGI.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by skribby View Post

Crap, the disc is not openable in DGindex.
    If it's a DVD, it can be opened in DGIndex. Make sure you're opening a VOB from the series (not an IFO or BUP or even a menu). And make sure it's already been decrypted to the hard drive.

If worse comes to worst you can turn a chapter or episode into an MKV using MakeMKV and then cut out a piece using the splitter in MKVToolNix. Or open an IFO for a DVD episode in PGCDemux and then have it extract the video file for you. I'll bet that M2V will easily open in DGIndex for cutting.
    Last edited by manono; 17th Nov 2016 at 14:04.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

Crap, the disc is not openable in DGindex.
    If it's a DVD, it can be opened in DGIndex. Make sure you're opening a VOB from the series (not an IFO or BUP or even a menu). And make sure it's already been decrypted to the hard drive.

If worse comes to worst you can turn a chapter or episode into an MKV using MakeMKV and then cut out a piece using the splitter in MKVToolNix. Or open an IFO for a DVD episode in PGCDemux and then have it extract the video file for you. I'll bet that M2V will easily open in DGIndex for cutting.
    WAit, I need to rip it with DVD decrupter first?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, or DVDFab HD Decrypter, depending on the level of encryption. You were going to work on it anyway, weren't you? Reencode it either for DVD or something else? Then the first step is to decrypt the DVD to the hard drive. You could decrypt a chapter, I suppose, so you can use DGIndex to create a sample for us here.
    Quote Quote