VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I managed to solve my authoring issues from my last thread! Hooray for me! However, I think I may have forgotten to set a few options when I was re-authoring one of the discs. When I demux the PGCs from the original DVD, I don't demux the "Play All" PGC; I demux the individual episode PGCs and remux them with subtitles. What I do when I use VobBlanker is load up the remuxed subbed individual episode DVDs, then extract the cells from each one. Then, I load up the original DVD, and replace each of the cells in the "Play All" PGC with the extracted sub cells.

Now, as I said previously, I think I may have forgotten to set a few settings in VobBlanker that I'm apparently supposed to set in a guide I'm following. This guide suggests, under the "Replacing" header, that I tick the "Copy PGC Stream Control from replacing IFO." and "Copy VTS Audio/Subs tables from replacing IFO." options. It also suggests that under the "Preview" header, I untick the "Do not use Overlay (Prev. pane and Tiny prev)." as well as ticking the "Auto Play selections in Tiny Preview." options, but since that is only for previewing what everything looks like I don't think it has anything to do with how the DVD files are handled. What I wanted to know is, if I don't select those "Replacing" options, what would happen? Would this insert any technical errors or even re-encode any video or audio contained in the menus or episode? I tried looking at what the options do in the Readme file, but I couldn't really understand what they did.

Now, I assume that they probably don't apply to me, since I'm not replacing IFOs, only the original cells in the "Play All" PGC with identical VOB cells except for added subs, plus I noticed the DVD is still the same size, rather than smaller liked re-encoded content usually is, but I'm a pretty paranoid OCD person about this sort of stuff and worry that I may have messed something up. So I apologize in advance if from the perspective of an expert I'm asking a dumb question.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. VobBlanker isn't an encoder. It can't reencode even if you wanted it to.

2. You didn't post any pics but the 'Play All' feature has no size. It is just a series of menu commands to play the PGCs one after another. You don't replace nothing with something.

You can't really break anything by experimenting. You can always process what you've done and check out the result. All you've lost is time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, cool, thanks for answering part of my question. When I mentioned size I meant the ripped ISO itself. Both the original and subtitled were 7.78 GBs (Well, the subtitled version is slightly larger, but I know that is due to the sub stream).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Damned View Post
    When I mentioned size I meant the ripped ISO itself.
    Yes, but you were writing about replacing the Play All with cells from your subbed version and I was saying don't.

Open the original DVD in VobBlanker and check the size of the VTS of the Play All. It should be zero or close to it. In addition, you might have to 'turn on' the subs later on to get them to work. The original IFOs had no subs and my guess is after processing the IFOs of final subbed DVD won't either. Without the IFOs 'seeing' the subs, you'll get no subs. It's easy to fix, but PGCEdit is the program for that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have done several DVDs so far with this process and I have the subs successfully playing, without any of the weird errors I was getting beforehand. I guess I should also clarify that I only replace the cells that aren't copies of other cells in the "Play All" PGC (In other words I have multiple 3/1 cells and I only replace one of them). I do use PGCEdit to restore the seamless flags in every PGC of each DVD I re-author, since apparently VobBlanker assumes the cells are independent of all the others in the "Play All" PGC. Then I use DVDSubEdit to correct the sub colors and change the start command to "Force Start", which keeps the subs on.

When I checked the playback of the disc I'm referring to in this topic, it appeared to be playing fine. However, since I'm a noob at this, I thought perhaps since I might have forgotten to set a couple of settings, that I might have inserted some minor technical error that could be having an issue with the playback that I am not noticing. Glad to know at least there is no way I could've lowered the picture / audio quality slightly though!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Damned View Post
    When I checked the playback of the disc I'm referring to in this topic, it appeared to be playing fine.
    If that's the case, then good for you. it sounds like you're doing everything fine.
    Then I use DVDSubEdit to correct the sub colors and change the start command to "Force Start", which keeps the subs on.
    As long as you're using PGCEdit anyway, while there you can do those two things also. I change the colors there by double-clicking the PGCs and changing the CLUT and you can also easily make the subs forced as well, although the procedure is slightly more complex. Here's a guide, although some things have changed in the GUI since then so you have to adapt slightly.

http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/2cool/subtitles/subtitles_on_de...lt_pgcedit.htm

The relevant parts are sections 4 thought 13. The rest is either extraneous or he's just covering all the bases. Since you're changing the colors for several PGCs, to make sure the colors are the same throughout, while doing the first one save them for use in the others in "Add to Custom Colors".
    Quote Quote