VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a video which i got from YouTube, and I'm trying to crop the video and export to a .mp4 file, and the source video is over 2 hours long.

In the past I've tried using FCP 7 Compressor, and overnight I've tried MPEG Streamclip but it took 8 hours to convert 67% of the video. I know I must be doing something wrong!

I'm open for any suggestions as I feel like all I need to do is change a few settings and it should be a lot quicker. I am using a mid-2015 MBP, 2.5GHz, i7, 16GB RAM

Here are the specs of the source video via VideoSpec

***** Analyzed File Results *****

*** General Parameters ***
    - Container: MP4 - QuickTime
    - Size: 2.545 GB
    - Duration: 2h 21mn
    - Bitrate: 2 397 Kbps

*** Video Track Parameters ***
    - Format: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
    - Bitrate: Max.: --- / Average: 2 268 Kbps / Min.: ---
    - Frame rate (fps): Max.: --- / Average: 25.000 / Min.: ---
    - Encoding profile: Main@L3.1
    - Image size: 1280*720
    - Pixel Aspect Ratio: Undefined
    - Display Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    - Interlacing: Progressive

*** First Audio Track Parameters ***
    - Format: AAC - MPEG-4 audio
    - Bitrate: 126 Kbps
    - Resolution: Undefined
    - Rate: 44.1 KHz
    - Channel(s): 2 (stereo)
    - Position: Front: L R

Any help would be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This really belongs in the Mac forum. I suggest you contact a mod to have the topic moved.

However, generally, source parameters are irrelevant. What is important are the target parameters. And if both source and target are not identical then conversion WILL take time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LVee View Post
    I'm trying to crop the video
    Did you remove letterbox bars and/or pillar bars, so that the target frame size is smaller than the source frame size? What is the output frame size?
    What software did you use for this? (I didn't think MPEG Streamclip could do that.) In what format did you save the intermediate file?

Originally Posted by LVee
    the source video is over 2 hours long.
    2h 21mn. = 141 minutes

it took 8 hours to convert 67% of the video.
    I know I must be doing something wrong!
    ( 141 * 60 * 25 * 0.67 ) / ( 8 * 60 * 60 ) = 141705/28800 = 4.92 frames encoded per second

I did a test clip encoding using MPEG Streamclip on my side, which I clocked at 6.56 frames encoded per second. That would be: 4.82 frames per second when compensated for the difference in chip frequency (3.4/2.5). Meaning: your encoding speed is on par with what can be expected from MPEG Streamclip’s MP4 export, imho.

I'm open for any suggestions
    There are faster encoders. I encoded the same test clip with an ffmpeg-based encoder (iFFmpeg) at 9.8 times the encoding speed of MPEG Streamclip (=QuickTime encoder). (Compare 49 minutes to 8 hours, or 01:13:10 to 11:56:26!)
    Quote Quote