VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My current version of photoshop won't let me save an image to bitmap or jpeg that exceeds 30,000pixles in horizontal dimensions.

Just looking for a basic free program that will let me make an image over 30K & save it as bitmap or jpeg.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Paint.NET, but you better have a lot of RAM.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May also try IrfanView.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if you consider it 'basic,' but it looks like The GIMP should be able to do it.

You'll need to change the "Maximum new image size" setting (under Preferences > Environment (defaults to 64MB, I think)), however. I tried creating a new image, and changing the default resolution from 640x400 to 40000x400, and it warned me the resulting image would be 149.1 MB.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Hi, Just joining up large images like into a panorama. For example 60,0000 x 2000.

My system runs CS4 no problems up to 30,000 wide, but the program wont let me save to bitmap or jpeg over 30K.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I will try them
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post
    Hi, Just joining up large images like into a panorama. For example 60,0000 x 2000.

My system runs CS4 no problems up to 30,000 wide, but the program wont let me save to bitmap or jpeg over 30K.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ptgui/gmBkEV_Y3ME - seem you need to change image format.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post

PS does support 300,000 x 300,000 , at least on newer versions . It might be limited in older versions because of RAM or x86 limitations

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/image-size-resolution.html
    Photoshop supports a maximum pixel dimension of 300,000 by 300,000 pixels per image.
    I exported a 40K x 2K jpeg from PS (it gave a warning that it wouldn't be supported on older PS versions), then opened it in irfanview . Irfanview is a free lightweight image editor so it supports at least 40K
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Photoshop CS6 (v13, 2012) first featured larger dimensions on JPEG files: The 30,000 pixel limit of previous versions was gone.
    There is still the 65,535 pixel limit per JPEG specification, though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post
    Just looking for a basic free program that will let me make an image over 30K & save it as bitmap or jpeg.
    There are better ways to get the result you want. Has to be. Probably involving (just a guess here) tiled images.

Bert Monroy completed an amazing panoramic image back in 2010. It took him four years! Did not watch the tutorial listed below, but from other reading it sounds like he used Illustrator for the final output, which contained many, many Photoshop images.
    Bert Monroy: The Making of Times Square, The Techniques (lynda.com)

Take a virtual journey to the bustling streets of New York in Bert Monroy: The Making of Times Square. Digital painter Bert Monroy reveals how he created the minute details that build the impressive 108,000 x 21,600 pixels, 25-feet wide photorealistic portrait of this iconic intersection.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post
    There are better ways to get the result you want. Has to be. Probably involving (just a guess here) tiled images.

Bert Monroy completed an amazing panoramic image back in 2010. It took him four years! Did not watch the tutorial listed below, but from other reading it sounds like he used Illustrator for the final output, which contained many, many Photoshop images.
    Bert Monroy: The Making of Times Square, The Techniques (lynda.com)

Take a virtual journey to the bustling streets of New York in Bert Monroy: The Making of Times Square. Digital painter Bert Monroy reveals how he created the minute details that build the impressive 108,000 x 21,600 pixels, 25-feet wide photorealistic portrait of this iconic intersection.
    Hi.

Gimp 2 works just eats alot of ram, I would still do clone stamping & stuff like that in photoshop only as I'm use to it.
    Quote Quote