VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I'm going to be getting a Roku 4 soon, with every intention of transcoding my entire library to the more efficient h.265 codec. Once I have h.265 content, I plan to stream it to the Roku 4 via Plex. I do not want to be transcoding this at all, I want direct play.

Now I know that the Roku 4 specs list h.265, but I still feel this is a huge leap of faith given my previous experiences. I found out that even though the PS3, my current device, supports h.264, it supports it very poorly and I have to use crap settings to ensure smooth playback. So, will the Roku 4 support decent h.265 encodes? My kind of encoding is slow encoding for a smaller file size while still retaining the quality (that old adage... fast encodes, small sizes, good quality, pick 2). Could it handle this type of encoding at 1080p? 4k even? It is, after all, a 4k device...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As with all hardware players, trial and error. In other words, test it and find out.

I know that's not what you wanted to know, but given the huge number of variables in encoding, there isn't another answer.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote