VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

Am new to conversions, so please bear with me. I would also rate my computer skills as about 60% so would really appreciate if someone could lead me gently!

I recently found about a 100 plus DVDs lying in my office store and thought I would convert them into soft copy. A quick search and Google led me to Handbrake, MakeMKV and Xmedia Recode (actually I searched for "Rip and encode DVD to mkv" although I'm not sure if MKV is really the best). I first used Handbrake but for whatever reason it just refused to scan and load from my DVD drive. Next I tried MakeMKV and everything went textbook perfect! I was pleased with myself. Just that the output was 3GB plus and I preferred something between 800MB and 1.5GB.

I then tried the portable version of Xmedia Recode. The same DVD I ripped earlier gave me an output of 1.25GB. This was good, but when I played the file, I noticed that it had converted just about 50%. I tried a couple of times more with different settings and each time it was round about the 1.2GB range. Can someone guide me as to how I can do a full job and what I could have done wrong? Basically what I did was choose from profile - Samsung TV or Custom with the output as mkv. Under audio, I selected 6 channel and that was about it. When added to the queue, I can see that the output is about 2:38 hours and the encoding goes at a steady pace for 50% and then quickly finishes. If someone can create a profile for me with just that mkv and 6 channel audio with the original aspect ratio, that would be great.

Separately, I was going through a site where I download movies and noted that my favourite uploader has the following 2 settings:
    Code:
    Gives an output of 800MB
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 2h 7mn
    Nominal bit rate : 711 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 304 pixels
    Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC
    Duration : 2h 7mn
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    And
    Code:
    Gives an output of 1.5GB
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 2h 31mn
    Nominal bit rate : 876 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 544 pixels

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC
    Duration : 2h 31mn
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Is it possible for someone to give me a profile for these two?

Thanks a ton
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I should mention if those are commercial DVDs, they are likely encrypted. Then you need a decrypter program.

I use VidCoder, a GUI for Handbrake, and IMO, easier to use, especially if you have more than one DVD drive.
    I encode in batches.

I use mostly the default settings for MKV and set for AC3 audio. I also turn on 'Detelecine' and 'Decomb' to default.
    But you can also use AAC for the audio if desired.

You set the quality or the output size. Most times I use 'Constant Quality' of 19 and this results in about a 2GB MKV file.
    I also set 'Constant Framerate' and FPS 'Same as source'. Works well for me.

Other members may have more suggestions.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VidCoder for me too.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/VidCoder

Two Pass= control bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you redwudz for welcoming me into the forum and for your suggestion and thank 45remanyao for your input too

Unfortunately, with Videocoder, like Handbrake, I keep getting an error "An error occurred while scanning" with some DVDs I'm sure that these are not encrypted as they themselves appear to be copies

Both MakeMKV and Xmedia Recode scans and get the source from all DVDs with no problem.

Anyway, I just tried Videocoder with a few more DVDs and they were all detected fine. Used the settings as suggested by the two of you (except used 20 for the quality). The process went through fine and I got an output of 1.14! More or less in the region I was looking for! Perfect!

Thank you both so much
    Quote Quote