VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is the best firewall right now that doesn't ask if you want to complete an action every 2 seconds? I tried kaspersky and it was like that. Free or not doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 firewall control.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Windows 10 firewall control.
    Windows 10???

You mean from this site?

Code:
    http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/
    From that site.Been using it for years.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My mother use Comodo Firewall - it's quite OK and for sure not too frequent for asking user intervention.
    Last edited by pandy; 31st Oct 2016 at 04:30.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Comodo isn't what it use to be, but it's still a good firewall. Very advanced though so initial setup can be tricky. I'm using Glasswire on Win10. It uses default Windows firewall setting, but gives you a clear view of what is going on if desired. You can also manually block the activity from happening in the future in the free version. Paid version has more real-time control.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Appreciate the suggestions guys. Anymore?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are these so far:

Code:
    http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
    http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
    https://www.glasswire.com/
    I have only tried first one...other ones sound nice as well.

Note that Windows 10 Firewall control seems to be locked to your machine...their English is not very good:

open the Registration form (W10FC TrayIcon/RightClick/Register)
    put the VFC/XFC..... License code into the field at item 2
    press "online" at item 3 (*)
    check registration code (**) and press "register" at item 4 to store the code within the program.

(*) registration code or error message is displayed within a couple of seconds. "By e-mail" option will require manual up to 48+ hours processing at our side. So, the online method is more preferable.
    (**) descriptive error message may be shown instead of registration code. Most probably because of (a) syntax/case errors in the License code, (b) incorrect usage of a License code from another version/product.
    Re-registration is required after upgrade or re-installation onto a different media (backup restoration causes the media virtually changed sometimes). The registration code change confirms the re-registration was required for the reasons above.
    Maybe johns0 can let us know on this.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ZoneAlarm has been fairly unobtrusive. (The free version delivers pop-up adds once in a while encouraging users to purchase the standard version of the product.)
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'll note that on Glasswire, I've never seen an ad popup. Even though there is a free and paid version the free version does not prompt you to upgrade, but leaves the option in the menu if you decide to do so.

Also, on Comodo, I have an older V7 build on my Win7 rig that I have few issues with. I tried to install the latest version on my Win10 rig when I first built it, but ran into a ton of issues. I had to do a lot of manual config to get them sorted and still ended up with the Windows Time Servers unable to sync for no apparent reason. I finally got rid of it in favor of Glasswire. These issues were late last year and may well have been sorted by now. I also use the Comodo browser at work and I've noticed it keeps pushing a popup to install their AV. Not sure if the firewall has similar marketing now or not. One other thing to be aware of with Comodo is the need to turn off the "feature" of tagging every file is processes with alternate stream data. This plays havoc with backup software since the date stamps are all changed. This may only be in effect if you use the HIPS functions in addition to the firewall.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    I'll note that on Glasswire, I've never seen an ad popup. Even though there is a free and paid version the free version does not prompt you to upgrade, but leaves the option in the menu if you decide to do so.

Also, on Comodo, I have an older V7 build on my Win7 rig that I have few issues with. I tried to install the latest version on my Win10 rig when I first built it, but ran into a ton of issues. I had to do a lot of manual config to get them sorted and still ended up with the Windows Time Servers unable to sync for no apparent reason. I finally got rid of it in favor of Glasswire. These issues were late last year and may well have been sorted by now. I also use the Comodo browser at work and I've noticed it keeps pushing a popup to install their AV. Not sure if the firewall has similar marketing now or not. One other thing to be aware of with Comodo is the need to turn off the "feature" of tagging every file is processes with alternate stream data. This plays havoc with backup software since the date stamps are all changed. This may only be in effect if you use the HIPS functions in addition to the firewall.
    Will Glasswire ask you as to what to do for a program that wants to access your LAN or the Internet? Or do you have to manually config everything. Does it have HIPS?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The free Glasswire will not ask. It will block incoming and allow outgoing per the normal rules of the Windows firewall. It will popup a small notification near the clock the first time a program accesses the network or after the program version has changed. This popup is small and quickly fades, but you can then open the GUI, find that notification and click the firewall icon to block future connections. The paid version does have realtime interaction for blocking connections. Glasswire is just a control program for the Windows firewall so it does not have a HIPS component.

The paid tiers are listed HERE with the features of each. The nice part of Glasswire is this is a one time fee, not a subscription. They also have discounted packages for multiple computers. So far I have not had a need for more than the free version on my Win10 rig, which is mainly used for gaming.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This Glasswire looks interesting....not sure I need to bloat of Comodo anymore...not sure. Comodo seems to only be using 8 meg though now. How much does Glasswire use?
    Last edited by ron spencer; 31st Oct 2016 at 18:01.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    This Glasswire looks interesting....not sure I need to bloat of Comodo anymore...not sure. Comodo seems to only be using 8 meg though now. How much does Glasswire use?
    Using a total of about 130 MB right now. Glasswire is very "pretty" with a lot of GUI features. Probably a good bit of why it runs heavier. It's never bothered me, but I do have 16 GB of memory on this machine.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Check out Privacyware's Private Firewall (just 3.57 MB):
    http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Check out Privacyware's Private Firewall (just 3.57 MB):
    http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html
    It is very annoying (but i use it regularly due license) - some problems with loosing information about process and blocking without notifying... side to this it asking almost all actions (which i understand is opposite to OP intention).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    it asking almost all actions (which i understand is opposite to OP intention).
    Adjusting settings will cure that: File>Settings>Basic.

Did you uncheck...
    Standard Control: Alert and Auto-Respond
    Disable Auto Response
    Always display alerts for outgoing connection
    ...?

Personally, I want full control over what is coming in and going out my ports.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you settle on a firewall?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Basic Firewalls
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MdosS View Post
    Basic Firewalls
    What is this?????
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Originally Posted by MdosS View Post
    Basic Firewalls
    What is this?????
    Spammer? But no links...
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'd learn how to use Kaspersky properly . . . or stop doing/using whatever it is you're doing/using that's causing all the alerts.
    Quote Quote