VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hello!

I'd like to ask about how to adjust dialog normalization value in "Soft Encode"? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TeNSoR; 30th Oct 2016 at 04:30.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're supposed to adjust it according to average dialog volume.

That's easier said than done however.

I usually import the center channel WAV (because that's where the dialog is) in WaveLab and measure the average volume level (RMS) of the entire file and in addition I look for a dialog of a few seconds with as few background sounds as possible and measure that as well.

Most of the time it's around -27 dB anyways and having this setting off by just one, two or three dB isn't going to do any harm. In fact the only situation in which a dial norm setting way off could do harm is when you are using DRC during playback. Otherwise it's almost irrelevant and the worst it could do is lower the overall volume.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    You're supposed to adjust it according to average dialog volume.

That's easier said than done however.

I usually import the center channel WAV (because that's where the dialog is) in WaveLab and measure the average volume level (RMS) of the entire file and in addition I look for a dialog of a few seconds with as few background sounds as possible and measure that as well.

Most of the time it's around -27 dB anyways and having this setting off by just one, two or three dB isn't going to do any harm. In fact the only situation in which a dial norm setting way off could do harm is when you are using DRC during playback. Otherwise it's almost irrelevant and the worst it could do is lower the overall volume.
    Thanks for your reply, Skiller. Can you link me to this WaveLab?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's called Steinberg WaveLab, but it's not free.

There might be free ways to measure RMS, but I just don't know of any. Maybe somebody has an idea?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I could find the demo version from the program, Skiller. Will you show me how to measure RMS of the entire file?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Steinberg WaveLab.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	39180  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Press ctrl + A to mark the entire waveform.

Then just press Y to bring up the Global Analyze tools.

Then select the Volume tab.

Increase the threshold to -70 or more (well, less actually, since it's negative).

Click "Analyze" and the average RMS volume will be displayed after it's done scanning where it says Average.

In my example (sorry it's the German version of WaveLab) it's -28.45 dB, hence I would set the Dialog Normalization setting for AC3 encoding to -28 dB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wavelab.PNG
Views:	1000
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	39191
    Last edited by Skiller; 31st Oct 2016 at 15:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Press ctrl + A to mark the entire waveform.

Then just press Y to bring up the Global Analyze tools.

Then select the Volume tab.

Increase the threshold to -70 or more (well, less actually, since it's negative).

Click "Analyze" and the average RMS volume will be displayed after it's done scanning where it says Average.

In my example (sorry it's the German version of WaveLab) it's -28.45 dB, hence I would set the Dialog Normalization setting for AC3 encoding to -28 dB.

[Attachment 39191 - Click to enlarge]
    Thank you so much! unfortunately, I used BeSweet to create six mono wave files
    then I encoded in Sonic Soft Encode but the AC3 file was so low comparing with the original and I don't know why?! anyway, thanks again, Skiller for your help
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are correct in making 6 mono WAV files!

Regarding the AC3 having a lower volume compared to the original, what was the original file format?

Also, what Dialog Normalization value did you come up with? If it's far off from -27 dB then there must be something wrong or your source is kinda odd.

During playback, do you have DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) enabled or not? DRC should not affect the volume of dialogs (due to the hopefully correctly set Dial Norm value) but it does make louder parts quiter and quiter parts louder to reduce the differnces in volume between loud and quiet parts.

Whenever you switch between DRC=on and DRC=off during playback the volume level of a standard dialog has to stay exactly the same. If it does change then the Dial Norm has an incorrect value.
    Last edited by Skiller; 1st Nov 2016 at 05:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are correct in making 6 mono WAV files!

Regarding the AC3 having a lower volume compared to the original, what was the original file format?

Also, what Dialog Normalization value did you come up with? If it's far off from -27 dB then there must be something wrong or your source is kinda odd.

During playback, do you have DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) enabled or not? DRC should not affect the volume of dialogs (due to the hopefully correctly set Dial Norm value) but it does make louder parts quiter and quiter parts louder to reduce the differnces in volume between loud and quiet parts.

Whenever you switch between DRC=on and DRC=off during playback the volume level of a standard dialog has to stay exactly the same. If it does change then the Dial Norm has an incorrect value.
    Thanks again for reply I ran the analysis like you showed me and got this :

About DRC in Soft Encode this option in like this :

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try if increasing the threshold to -100 changes the average volume by a few dB.

-18 dB is almost certainly not correct, especially since you already mentioned the AC3 becomes very quiet.

You should also look for a dialog scene of a few seconds (less than 10 seconds) with no loud background noises and measure that part the same way. Just mark it with the mouse and then analyze. Typically, Dial Norm should be in the range of -24 to -29 dB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try if increasing the threshold to -100 changes the average volume by a few dB.

-18 dB is almost certainly not correct, especially since you already mentioned the AC3 becomes very quiet.

You should also look for a dialog scene of a few seconds (less than 10 seconds) with no loud background noises and measure that part the same way. Just mark it with the mouse and then analyze. Typically, Dial Norm should be in the range of -24 to -29 dB.
    I did so and gave me the same value (-18db) and you're right the Dvd source is odd (Old Hindi) even I tried AAC in MeGUI and the same problem, Thanks so much Skiller for your help
    Quote Quote