VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I wondered if someone might help me? I have a new born grandson who lives in the US (I live in the UK), and his Mum sends regular short clips to us that she has taken on her iPhone. The files are all MP4.

What I'd like to do is to keep the clips, and, as we receive them, gradually merge them into a sort of "timeline" so that, when he grows up we can give him his life story on video. Of course, it's great memories for us as well!

I've never used any video editing software, but I am a keen photographer, using Canon Digital Photo Professional to process RAW images and I also use Photoshop Elements 10. Both these work perfectly well on my laptop, running Windows 10.

I'd just like to ask if someone can recommend an inexpensive software that will allow me to do the "merging" of video clips that I've described above. I did wonder about upgrading my version Elements to a later version that would also include Premiere, but also wondered if I mighht get away with just buying a used Premiere 10 - if I did does anyone know a) would it run on Windows 10 and b) offer a simple way of doing what I want to do.

Thank so much in advance for any replies!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can merge using ffmpeg (free) or VideoRedo (inexpensive commercial software).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MikeC1955, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

You might try the freeware AVIDemux program. Use 'Append' to add videos.
    However if you want transitions between the clips, other software may be more appropriate.

And welcome to our forums.
    Last edited by redwudz; 29th Oct 2016 at 09:43.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    You can merge using ffmpeg (free) or VideoRedo (inexpensive commercial software).
    I'm told that most phone cameras, including iPhones shoot variable frame rate video.

ffmpeg appears to be capable of merging the video or converting to CFR (I haven't tried it), but programs that require using command lines aren't everybody's cup of tea.

I don't think VideoReDo can correctly handle VFR yet. Apparently a lot editors don't correctly handle VFR yet. The video would need to be converted to use constant frame rate before importing.

Somebody on this forum recommended TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works for working with VFR video. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376451-Need-help-working-with-video-with-variable-f...=1#post2428524
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote