VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Directv HR44 DVR with many concerts and documentaries that I want to video capture..these are from 30 minutes to almost 3 hours in length.

I purchased a cheap Chinese EZcrap device and it does not do the job..

What are some decent choices ? I think I need to use the video component cables rather then the HDMI if I am correct.

Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am sorry that you were unsatisfied with your ezcap experience. This is puzzling to me. Perhaps you will prefer this device, the HDML ClonerWand, which will connect via hdmi:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CI08N6M

A device that I personally use for your situation and has brought me great joy is the yk918h:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/YK918H-HDMI-HD-HDD-Video-Blu-ray-Recorder-Game-Capture-Box-108...AAAOSwzgRWxYjz

to increase image quality of the yk918h, you have to apply the following firmware update:
    http://www.velocaps.com/en/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=101

The most reliable device I have for this type of thing besides the yk918h is an avermedia lgp lite. But I needed help from Cauptain on this forum to get it to work. I made a little timer gui for it, so it only records the material you need, that is available somewhere on this forum too.
    Last edited by ezcapper; 24th Oct 2016 at 22:02. Reason: lgp lite
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure these devices will work with the HDCP protection that Directv uses ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DHilak View Post
    Are you sure these devices will work with the HDCP protection that Directv uses ?

Thanks
    Take recommendations from ezcapper with a grain of salt. He is being compensated to promote Chinese capture products here.

Strictly speaking, the AVermedia Live Gamer Portable doesn't ignore HDCP. It is necessary to acquire and use hacked software in order for it to ignore HDCP: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/372840-%5BAVerMedia-News%5D-Avermedia-RECentral-HDC...Protect-Remove!!!

Here is the salt: The AVermedia Live Gamer Portable Lite, HDML Clone Wand and the yk918h, like most other standalone game recorders, produce 1080p30 recordings from 1080i30 input. Unfortunately, 1080i30 should become 1080p60 when deinterlaced correctly, which means these devices discard half the frames that should be included in the recording. You should plan on setting up the satellite box to output at 720p, unless you don't care if the video you record plays less smoothly than the original.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i would recommend the "HDMI CLONER BOX" or cloner box pro, both found on Amazon

the second of the above links is a 'copy' of the cloner box, the web page also says it creates 2gb files,

the cloner box will do unbroken files, as long as you use an NTFS formatted drive or stick

2hrs of 720p 59.96 fps is 9gb

i don't have a DirectTV box, but it works well with my bluray player
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    i would recommend the "HDMI CLONER BOX" or cloner box pro, both found on Amazon

the second of the above links is a 'copy' of the cloner box, the web page also says it creates 2gb files,

the cloner box will do unbroken files, as long as you use an NTFS formatted drive or stick

2hrs of 720p 59.96 fps is 9gb

i don't have a DirectTV box, but it works well with my bluray player
    Both the HDML Cloner Box and HDML Cloner Box Pro have the same problem recording 1080i video as the HDML Cloner Stick. Only people who don't mind that their recordings from a 1080i source don't play smoothly or who are fully satisfied with recording 720p output from a set top box should buy HDML Cloner products.

Avermedia makes one stand alone products capable of recording 1080i as 1080i from a component video source, the AVerMedia Game Capture HD II.http://www.avermedia.com/gaming/product/game_capture/game_capture_hd_ii
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Oct 2016 at 14:28. Reason: link corrected
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That link comes up as a quote and reply link

I would like to read about the avermedia box
    Thank you

the OP wants to capture his saved directTV dvr recordings
    will avermedia do this via hdmi ? what about hdcp ?
    Last edited by theewizard; 25th Oct 2016 at 13:46.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use a Hauppauge 1512 and capture via component to capture content from my Uverse DVR. This avoids copy protection. Some suggest using an HDMI splitter and claim that this can remove the copy protection. I have not tried this so I don't know if this is true.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That link comes up as a quote and reply link

I would like to read about the avermedia box
    Thank you

the OP wants to capture his saved directTV dvr recordings
    will avermedia do this via hdmi ? what about hdcp ?
    I corrected the link. ...but does typing "AVerMedia Game Capture HD II" into a search engine turn up no information for you?

The OP also asked about recording using component video.

What are some decent choices ? I think I need to use the video component cables rather then the HDMI if I am correct.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Oct 2016 at 14:39.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for link

he said he "thinks" he needs to use component ? and asks about choices

im sure he would prefer HDMI if available

will directTV component even output HD video ?

i think most of us PREFER to capture HD from recordings IF possible
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for link

he said he "thinks" he needs to use component ? and asks about choices

im sure he would prefer HDMI if available

will directTV component even output HD video ?

i think most of us PREFER to capture HD from recordings IF possible
    The component video connections on an HD DirecTV receiver do output HD video. Maybe you are confusing component video (HD capable) with composite video (SD only).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have direct tv, no experience with their Sat box
    It was a simple and direct question

Component video came out before digital high def
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for the interesting information. I am learning a lot. But it looks like there is no easy choice.

If the HDMI route would produce the best picture quality that would be an important consideration. However I think that I would not want to mess with a splitter.

If using the component video makes it easier to find a valid device that works then I have no issues. A consideration is the output file size.
    I do not want to mess with a device that only captures 2 GB at a time as my original device does sometimes. Do not want to mess with trying to thread video files into one final video.

Thanks Usually_quiet for the AVermedia Live Gamer Portable direction. How hard is it to get that interesting software you mention ? That is necessary correct ?

Thanks again everyone..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for the interesting information. I am learning a lot. But it looks like there is no easy choice.

If the HDMI route would produce the best picture quality that would be an important consideration. However I think that I would not want to mess with a splitter.

If using the component video makes it easier to find a valid device that works then I have no issues. A consideration is the output file size.
    I do not want to mess with a device that only captures 2 GB at a time as my original device does sometimes. Do not want to mess with trying to thread video files into one final video.

Thanks Usually_quiet for the AVermedia Live Gamer Portable direction. How hard is it to get that interesting software you mention ? That is necessary correct ?

Thanks again everyone..
    Not hard at all. A link to download the software you want is available in the first post in the VideoHelp thread here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/372840-%5BAVerMedia-News%5D-Avermedia-RECentral-HDC...emove%21%21%21 Yes, you need the software to record HDCP protected content with the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable Lite

One thing I got wrong... the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable Lite isn't a stand-alone device. It needs to be connected to a PC. Its older brother the the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable is stand-alone. Both can use the AVerMedia RecCentral HDCP Protect Remove Pack software.

Note that the AVerMedia Game Capture HD II is not able to use the AVerMedia RecCentral HDCP Protect Remove Pack. It uses its own firmware.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Oct 2016 at 22:07.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    True, but because of how component works, it can be used for any resolution. It was actually the only way to transfer HD video. long before HDMI was invented. My first (2005) HD camera has component output and that is the only way to make the HD video available outside the camera.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have direct tv, no experience with their Sat box
    It was a simple and direct question

I don't have DirecTV either, but I do know how to use a search engine to find the manual for the Genie, and read about the connections available on current DirecTV receivers/DVRs.

Component Video Output (YPbPr) provides high-quality HD video, but does not provide audio. You will need to connect audio
    separately using the digital audio or RCA audio connectors. Newer Receivers have an “A/V Out” connector that provides
    Component Video and RCA audio output in a single, custom cable. Component cables do not provide 1080p or 3D TV.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update

Thanks again to everyone for posting some help..

I purchased the AVerMedia Game Capture HD II along with a 1 TB External Harddrive and everything is working great..
    I am using it with the component cables from the Directv DVR to the AVerMedia device then HDMI to the TV
    funny thing is the picture is better quality especially with regards to color saturation, then with the HDMI cable directly to the TV

This site rocks..

Thanks....
    Quote Quote