VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Search Comp PM
    I use my HTS (downstairs) to watch sitcoms on my PC (upstairs.)

    I have an ADSL router with WiFi. The Home theatre has a WiFi to ethernet adapter. The PC is logged in to the WiFi. Don't know if this is relevant to the problem.

    On the HTS some filenames show up different to the filename on the PC. The ID3 tags are correct. MediaInfo shows the correct info in Movie Name. In Properties->Details the Title is correct. Yet they show up as just the episode name, not preceded by the season-episode number, which is inconvenient.

    Don't know where else to check for the correct name.

    The HTS is an LG.

    Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    There are ID3v1 tags (at end of file) and ID3v2 tags (usu. at begin of file). Both can specify (roughly) the same metadata, but they are incompatible with and independent of each other. So you can have the same or conflicting or missing info on one and/or the other.

    My guess is one device is referencing using one version and the other is using the other version.

    Eg:
    LG -> ID3v2, sees "Elvis Costello - Radio, Radio - My Aim Is True"
    PC -> ID3v1, sees "Costell, Elvis - Beyond Belief (rip) - "
    (Not only is the formatting different on the common data, but there is conflicting AND missing info)

    Have seen this happen a number of times. What you need to do is use an ID3tag editor that supports BOTH versions and allows you to port data from one type to another type (or vice-versa), and even take data from the filename. AKA "sync" the metadata.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Search Comp PM
    @Cornucopia

    That makes sense.

    But I am using Mp3tag, which supposedly does both at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    You have mentioned tag info and you have mentioned filenames. Just like I mentioned earlier, tags & filenames can be and often are different. They're independent. Plus there are long & short filenames and even filename differences between filesystems.
    And Win10 may show the "filename" in the base implementation of a file manager, but if it understands the folder refers to media files, it can alternately work more like iTunes (media cataloguing) and report naming via its tag "properties".
    So we just want to be real clear & detailed here.

    Can you give/post an example?

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Search Comp PM
    While gathering data I noticed a problem with WMP. The folder containing the "problem" files does not show up in WMP. All the other folders on that drive do.

    Created a temp folder and moved the files to that folder. The temp folder also does not show in WMP. Will have to investigate this first.

    BTW, the current folder structure existed before my PC was upgraded from WIN7 to WIN10.

    EDIT: Trying out Emby in place of WMP as the DLNA server.

    EDIT2: Using Emby fixed the problem. There was something funny about WMP. I noticed that if I removed K:\Sitcoms2 from the library, it was left with K: in the library. All other HDDs worked fine. Weird.
    Last edited by NDMMackay; 22nd Oct 2016 at 11:11.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads