VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everybody,

I'm interested in finding some kind of headband mounted, or even covert, camera that's full 1920x1080 HD with night vision, with simple controls to use in the field. Something under $100 if possible with video samples on YouTube. Ideally something not easily noticed by people I encounter - not very prominent if they do notice it. It would have USB for transferring videos to the PC and saving them.

But not something that I would have to dress special, to use ( like button cams with wired boxes that need to be inside clothing ).

Something compact and simple to use in the field.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick 2.

In this case, fast=low light capability.

A cam sensor's light sensitivity is directly related to its size & technological complexity.
    Bigger size and/or more advanced = better in low light.
    But size & complexity are both proportional to cost.

So <$100? Seriously? Not gonna happen until much greater sensor advances have occurred and then trickled down through the mainstream to the bargain selections.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look on Ebay. But what you probably want is a headband camera combined with a infrared illuminator. It might take some fair amount of battery power. And I assume you already have some way to record the camera signal. Usually the IR illuminator should be filtered enough that it's not readily visible to the naked eye.

Very few cameras have enough sensitivity to use in darkened areas without extra illumination.

Most cameras have IR capability. For cheap, get a regular camera that's head mounted and get a separate IR illuminator module for lighting up the scene. IR illuminators don't reach very far, so mostly for close shots. IR video will be black and white, or maybe green. No full color.

A light amplifier type of night vision goggles can easily cost you $3000US with a decent resolution, and that's without camera capability, so I doubt that's what you want.
    Last edited by redwudz; 15th Oct 2016 at 01:57.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    what you probably want is a headband camera combined with a infrared illuminator.
    You mean...a frickin' laser attached to her head? That would be SO COOL.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MamaBear2015 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm interested in finding some kind of headband mounted, or even covert, camera that's full 1920x1080 HD with night vision, with simple controls to use in the field. Something under $100 if possible with video samples on YouTube. Ideally something not easily noticed by people I encounter - not very prominent if they do notice it. It would have USB for transferring videos to the PC and saving them.

But not something that I would have to dress special, to use ( like button cams with wired boxes that need to be inside clothing ).

Something compact and simple to use in the field.
    As you are from USA then search for surplus military image intensifier - this will be real night vision, side to this HD may be not possible - once image intensifiers are usually not HD (depend on technology but usually they offer some limited albeit random grain resolution), secondly probably for direct IR sensor (CCD?) you will need plenty of IR light (so probably using some IR light source will be mandatory).
    Of course you can try to do this in a home way - buy some cheap HD camera (Black/White i.e. grayscale better), remove IR filter (procedure is quite popular amongst IR amateur photographers), with help of some few Watt IR LED as a source of light it should work quite OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not within their budget it won't.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick 2.

In this case, fast=low light capability.

A cam sensor's light sensitivity is directly related to its size & technological complexity.
    Bigger size and/or more advanced = better in low light.
    But size & complexity are both proportional to cost.

So <$100? Seriously? Not gonna happen until much greater sensor advances have occurred and then trickled down through the mainstream to the bargain selections.

Scott
    I'm actually using one of these ( below ) now. The technology is a little old and I had to edit and upload a text file to set the time/date. I'm not entirely certain that it's really 1920x1080. Some people lie about that and call it "interpolated" when you complain. It's better than what I used to have, which cost more, but not as good as I'd like to have, if I can find better now.

Of course I don't use the water sports housing, and I found a way to hang it from my neck. Without scrutiny, it might look like an amulet or something. Most people are barely aware that they're alive and awake, these days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-Sports-Mini-Action-Camera-Bike-Helmet-DVR-DV-Video-Recor...wAAOSwdzVXmh~F
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That may be fine for an "action" camera that receives plenty of daytime outdoor light.
    It will SUCK for night vision.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 15th Oct 2016 at 17:31.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I should also have mentioned that it only needs to work for about 8 feet at night, whether standard mode or NV mode.
    Quote Quote  
  10. This seems to meet your needs to perfection (if it works)
    FREDI HD 1080P Indoor/Outdoor Sport Portable Handheld Mini Hidden Spy Camera DV Voice Video Recorder with Infrared Night Vision
    I just searched for "low light spy camera"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    This seems to meet your needs to perfection (if it works)
    FREDI HD 1080P Indoor/Outdoor Sport Portable Handheld Mini Hidden Spy Camera DV Voice Video Recorder with Infrared Night Vision
    I just searched for "low light spy camera"
    Thanks, but once they get super cheap, it's hard to trust them.

This Panasonic unit does super nice video ( samples on YouTube ) but is far from micro or covert. But it has a headband option that makes it look more like a mic unit, at first glance. The kicker for me, was when they said that it makes very loud beeps when you start and stop the recording. ( unless that can be turned off )

And of course, Panasonic has a reputation for being quality stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VAIKFXS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=C0VA...4M5RT7Z9&psc=1
    Quote Quote