VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm seeking a program with which to cut out all but a part of MKV video files.

Hopefully losslessly, visually (i.e. I can see where to cut), easy to learn/use, and *very* inexpensive since my budget is small.
    Last edited by coyote2; 13th Oct 2016 at 14:19.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Free programs with a preview would include avidemux , xmedia recode . They have to be set to "copy" as to not re-encode the video and/or audio . They are GOP accurate cutters (they cut only on keyframes, which might be a few frames off from where you want to cut precisely) .

Commercial programs that are frame accurate (and re-encode a few frames around a cutsite, if the cut isn't on an I-frame boundary) include videoredo, solveigmm video splitter, tmpg smart renderer
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for your great reply, poisondeathray!

I'm fine with one that isn't frame accurate.

An advantage of avidemux is that I have a bit of experience with it. Including that it wouldn't open some filetypes (IIRC mp4; I don't think I ever tried an MKV) sometimes. So good to hear you mention xmedia recode too.

Particularly because at $50 to $70, I really can't afford those Commercial programs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux is my go-to editor for MKV. Always on the look-out for good, free editors, I installed XMedia Recode and opened an HD MKV. Finally figured out that you need to click on the Filters/Preview tab to see video, but my 1080i video is a tiny box in the middle of the preview area. I tried sliding an unlabelled control all the way to the right, but no joy. I see there is a Resolution filter activated that says video size 128x96 but there is no way to remove it. Finally I change the format to Matroska and I now have 1080i video instead of a tiny box. Had to change both video and audio to copy instead of convert. Maybe the left and right arrow keys advance to the next key frame? Oh my, the help is in German, so hard to say without a translator. Now I see that Baldrick did a guide but it doesn't say how to advance to the next key frame, just says the cut won't be exact. Not good, I need to know exactly where I am cutting. Maybe the left and right arrow do that...
    Last edited by V1de0Luvr; 14th Oct 2016 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply, V1de0Luvr!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    "A few frames off" may mean hundreds of frames (tens of seconds), even thousands, with some videos.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    "A few frames off" may mean hundreds of frames (tens of seconds), even thousands, with some videos.
    Thank you very much for that, jagabo. Maybe I will find a way to afford a commercial product.

Oh, and I recognize your username from your great help on other threads, thank you again very much!
    Quote Quote