VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'd like to rip 5.1 audio from a DVD and wind up with six independent wav files that I could then load into a mixer to tweak my own mixes. Is this possible? I have several programs to rip audio but even if I choose 5.1 I still get a two track rip.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    1) rip (i.e., copy to the HDD) with DVDFab HD Decrypter or something

2) extract the audio track with PGCdemux

3) use eac3to for converting to 6 mono WAVs

eac3to input.ac3 output.wavs
    Quote Quote  
  3. BeSweet and probably other associated programs can do it. It's supposed to be able to handle VOB input but I already had a 6-channel AC3 file handy and used that to test. If necessary, extract the AC3 from the DVD first.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6MonoWAV.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	38880  

Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  4. BeeSweet looks like it would be just the thing, if I could just figure out how to use it. I can't get it to show the screen in manano's post. Is there a magic word?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by phantomengineer View Post
    BeeSweet looks like it would be just the thing, if I could just figure out how to use it. I can't get it to show the screen in manano's post. Is there a magic word?
    So you have the GUI? In the picture you can clearly see I'm using the AC3/OGG/PCM section to set it up to decode to six different mono WAV files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh, I do see. I think I may be on the right track now. Time will tell. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No, I spoke too soon. I had it like it shows in your picture, made the above post and when I went back to Beeswwt the main window was blank. I do have it clicked on AC3/OGG/PCM.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Do you have the BeSweet.exe pointed to, as in my picture? And, yes, after pointing to the Input AC3 file (it'll give a default output name which you can change if you like) and after setting it up for 6 channel decoding in the AC3/OGG/PCM screen, you return to the main BeSweet window and click on "AC3 to WAV" to do the actual decoding.

Even in the Azid screens I'm pointing to the BeSweet.exe. Maybe you should point it to the Azid.exe instead not really sure. But, as you saw, before replying originally I did a full test to make sure it was working as it should. I'll enclose the Azid.dll, in case you didn't get it. Even if not pointing to it explicitly, it should be in the BeSweet folder.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. First of all manono thank you again for taking the time to assist me with this. I'm beginning to suspect the issue is with AC3, or lack of it. I've never had that green button say AC3 to WAV. I have the DVD ripped as vobs and I thought BeeSweet would extract the AC3 from that but apparently not. So I tried to rip the AC3 with DVD Decrypter. But it gave me audio vobs. I did a search and found a forum where someone was asking about the same thing, Decryper is supposed to give AC3 but did vobs instead. So at this time I am having an issue with getting AC3 audio. I have DVD Fab and some other progs but doesn't seem to be as easy as it should be.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Right, extract the AC3 audio and then open that in BeSweet. To extract the audio there are many ways, once the DVD has been decrypted to the hard drive. I usually get it from DGindex when making the D2V file for use in an AviSynth script. If you don't use AviSynth then get it from PGCDemux. Open the IFO for the movie and choose to demux just the audio track(s):
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks again manono but the confusion continues. You say extract the AC3 with DGindex. I can open the ripped DVD with it and it shows the image in the window but what do I do with it? There's an Audio option to decode AC3 to wav but there's no "Go" button. I also opened the DVD in PcgDemux and have it set like in your picture but it gave me a dts file and a two track wav.
    I keep reading that it's easy to extract a AC3 but I'm finding it a fight.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by phantomengineer View Post
    ...but it gave me a dts file and a two track wav.
    Then that's what's in it, DTS and WAV. To confirm (or disprove), open a VOB in MediaInfo and have a look.

For DGIndex you open all the VOBs at once and then File->Save Project. You'll get the audio along with the D2V project file. Don't decode to WAV.
    Quote Quote  
  13. For DGIndex you open all the VOBs at once and then File->Save Project. You'll get the audio along with the D2V project file. Don't decode to WAV.[/QUOTE]

OK, I hate to sound stupid but, then what? I mean seriously these freeware programs are undoubtedly very useful but also not user friendly or self-explanatory. I think what people on these help forums are hoping for is something as straightforward as...

Step One: do this with this program
    Step Two: do this with this program
    Step Three: do this with this program
    Step Four: success

I know that's too much to hope for but isn't there an easy way to ,1: rip a 5.1 AC3 and ,2: convert to WAV. It seems like it should be simple but true to life it just doesn't seem to be the case.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by phantomengineer View Post
    I know that's too much to hope for but isn't there an easy way to ,1: rip a 5.1 AC3 and ,2: convert to WAV.
    Since 'rip' means to copy without converting or reencoding, then if there's no AC3 audio to begin with (have you confirmed, as I suggested?), the answer is 'no'. Are you asking if it can be first converted to AC3 5.1 followed by then extracting the 6 mono WAV files, or if the DTS audio can be directly decoded to 6 mono WAV files? I don't work with DTS audio so perhaps someone else can help. BeSweet does have DTS input. Maybe El Heggunte's earlier post will be useful, using the DTS in eac3to to convert to WAV.

Step One: Open the VOBs using DGIndex (with File->Open)
    Step Two: Go File->Save Project
    Step Three: success

Have you tried?
    Last edited by manono; 16th Oct 2016 at 21:01.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have to test some things. I'll get back to you.
    Quote Quote