VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,

My DVD Shrink 3.2 (on 2 different computers running Windows 7) gets stuck when analyzing at 47% so it never reaches the point of ripping.

I've tried this several times with the same results.

Then, a message appears..."DVD Shrink encountered an error and can not continue. Failed to read *D:\* The request could not be performed because of an I/O error."

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    If is not a disk failure, try to pause the ripping before it gets to
    whatever the error appears and continue some minutos after.
    Last edited by locotus; 13th Oct 2016 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try ripping the disc with dvdfab first then use dvd shrink.
    dvd shrink cannot handle newer copy protections.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDShrink with Passkey running is a good combination.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It sounds like there's a problem with the disc. At the 47% point it's not readable. If it stops at the same point using different drives it'll be the disc. Try cleaning it and praying to the video gods, or.....

Try opening DVDShrink and go into re-author mode. Don't open the disc first. Select your DVD drive in the right pane or from the drop down menu. The DVD titles will display. Drag just one title to the left pane (ie just the movie title or just a single episode). DVD Shrink will analyse just that title and not the whole disc. If you get lucky, the title won't be residing on the part of the disc that isn't readable. If it is, you're out of luck for that title. If the analysis finishes, rip as normal. Repeat the process as required for additional titles. I've managed to rip movies that I couldn't rip by opening the disc directly because the "DVD Extras" were residing on the unreadable section of disc but the movie itself was readable.

DVDShrink stores the data for discs it's already analysed. I don't know about Windows 7, but for XP it's kept in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink" (there'll be a bunch of files with names like "Analysis Results.f857100b"). You probably won't need to, but you can try clearing the contents of that folder before starting DVDShrink if need be, then try the above procedure.

For the record, if the disc is faulty a DVD player will skip any unreadable sections and you may not even notice when viewing the movie, but DVDShrink won't. I don't think it has an option to substitute blank data for unreadable sections of the disc. DVD Decrypter does. The result doesn't tend to be ideal though.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 13th Oct 2016 at 08:20.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try ripping the DVD to your hard drive as a VIDEO_TS folder with DVD Decrypter in IFO mode. Before starting the rip go to DVD Decrypter's settings, the I/O tab, and set Software Read Error Retries to 1 and enable Ignore Read Errors, on the Device tab set Hardware Read Error Retires to 1. Retries can take as long as a minute each so if a disc has lots of bad blocks it can a long time to rip. Let it run overnight.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by locotus View Post
    If is not a disk failure, try to pause the ripping before it gets to
    whatever the error appears and continue some minutos after.
    Hi there,

I’m not entirely sure how to follow the mechanics of your suggestion?
    I would start ripping and then when it reached 46% I would pres some Pause button and then - is there some way to drag a progress bar or some bar to say 49% or 50% and then press some “Continue” button to resume ripping?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    DVDShrink with Passkey running is a good combination.
    Please forgive my ignorance as a newbie, but what is Passkey? Do I need to download it and if so could you please share the url? Then how do I activate it so it's running with DVD Shrink?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It sounds like there's a problem with the disc. At the 47% point it's not readable. If it stops at the same point using different drives it'll be the disc. Try cleaning it and praying to the video gods, or.....

Try opening DVDShrink and go into re-author mode. Don't open the disc first. Select your DVD drive in the right pane or from the drop down menu. The DVD titles will display. Drag just one title to the left pane (ie just the movie title or just a single episode). DVD Shrink will analyse just that title and not the whole disc. If you get lucky, the title won't be residing on the part of the disc that isn't readable. If it is, you're out of luck for that title. If the analysis finishes, rip as normal. Repeat the process as required for additional titles. I've managed to rip movies that I couldn't rip by opening the disc directly because the "DVD Extras" were residing on the unreadable section of disc but the movie itself was readable.

DVDShrink stores the data for discs it's already analysed. I don't know about Windows 7, but for XP it's kept in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink" (there'll be a bunch of files with names like "Analysis Results.f857100b"). You probably won't need to, but you can try clearing the contents of that folder before starting DVDShrink if need be, then try the above procedure.

For the record, if the disc is faulty a DVD player will skip any unreadable sections and you may not even notice when viewing the movie, but DVDShrink won't. I don't think it has an option to substitute blank data for unreadable sections of the disc. DVD Decrypter does. The result doesn't tend to be ideal though.
    Hi there,

It does stop at the same 47% or 48% every time.

With what would you recommend I clean the DVD?

DVD Decryopter appears as not supported anymore on their direct link site – is that OK to still use and not risk malware?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
    With what would you recommend I clean the DVD?
    A little toothpaste and a damp cloth seems to be one recommended method, or a little Brasso. They help buff away any scratches. I remembered that method as wiping the disc in circles being good and across the disc being bad, but this site say the opposite. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.
    If it's really important and there's any video rental stores left, they usually have disc cleaning/polishing machines. Or you might still be able to buy one. It may be a manufacturing fault though and all the cleaning in the world won't fix it. I've had a couple of those over the years. Brand new out of the box, they weren't 100% readable. If that's the case, can you return it for a replacement?

Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
    DVD Decryopter appears as not supported anymore on their direct link site – is that OK to still use and not risk malware?
    Yeah it's fine. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter just mightn't handle the very latest copy protections, but they'll still rip the majority of DVDs.
    You might also try RipIt4Me. It's a utility for ripping with DVDShrink and DVD Decrypter. It's a tad more up to date in respect to copy protections, but hasn't been updated for quite a while either. I'm not sure if it'll help you get past an unreadable section of disc. I can't remember how it configures DVD Decrypter exactly, so you may need to use DVD Decrypter "manually" for that.

Did you try using DVD Shrink in re-author mode as I suggested? And if you can try the disc in another computer, do so (especially if you're currently ripping with laptop drives). There's a total of eight DVD drives spread across PCs in this house. Sometimes each drive can only read part of a scratched or damaged disc, but often each will read a different part. I've literally patched a full DVD rip together a few times by ripping what I could with Drive "A", ripping with Drive "B" then Drive "C".... and managed to get everything off the disc that way.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi hello hello,

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Here’s my update.

I tried the re-author process and it analyzed the first Movie Title perfectly.

By, the rest of the Titles namely 16, 17 and 18 did not complete analyzing.

Title 16 got as far as 94% and then became stuck.

Titles 17 and 18 never got past 0%.

It didn’t seem to make sense to try all the Extras – Titles 2 – 15.

There are Menus VTS 1 – 9 and VTS 15 – I’m not sure if I was supposed to do anything with them?

I’ve tried ripping on 2 different PCs with DVD burners.

I’ve downloaded (but not yet installed) DVD Decrypter and RipIt4Me.

I’m not surd how they interface with DVD Shrink?

Do I click on each of them and somehow make sure they then install in the same folder as DVD Shrink on the hard drive (C:\Program Files\ DVDShrink)?

Do I then run DVD Shrink and somehow Decrypter and RipIt4Me kick in?

I’m not experienced at this.

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    decrypter programs run in the background, you only run one of them at a time

you start the decrypter, then you start the copy/ripping program, and choose your disc

they all install in their own different folders
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
    Hi hello hello,

Here’s my update.

There are Menus VTS 1 – 9 and VTS 15 – I’m not sure if I was supposed to do anything with them?

Do I click on each of them and somehow make sure they then install in the same folder as DVD Shrink on the hard drive (C:\Program Files\ DVDShrink)?

Thanks so much.
    It be best to use an up to date decrypter such as Dvdfab
    as dvd decrypter and rip it 4 me cannot handle newer DVD encryptions.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    47% would be right around the layer break of a double layer disc, which most new blockbuster releases are on

the menus and stuff are on the first layer along first portion of the main title

if the disc is bad, NOTHING is going to copy it

if it will play all the way through on a standalone dvd player, without burps and glitches you should be able to copy the main title

but if it won't play with no problems, then doing a copy is unlikely
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
    Hi hello hello,

Here’s my update.

Thanks so much.
    I'm slow replying but at least you got the movie off the disc. I assume after DVDShrink finished analysing the movie title you backed it up??

As far as RipIt4Me goes.... after you install it you need to go into it's preferences and tell it where you have DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter installed. There's other preferences you can set also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rip1.gif
Views:	789
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	39019

Once that's done click the Wizard Mode button on the main window and you'll see an option to rip the whole disc or just the movie etc. If RipIt4Me doesn't detect any copy protection there'll be a button labelled "Open with DVDShrink" down the bottom and you can open and rip with DVDShrink directly if you want to. That'll open the whole disc as DVDShrink normally does. If there's copy protection the DVDShrink option won't be available, or if you want just the movie and menus click "Next". RipIt4Me will open DVD Decrypter with the required files selected and you can start it ripping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rip2.gif
Views:	643
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	39020

When it's done it'll probably offer to open the ripped files with DVDShrink in case you want to shrink them down to fit on a single layer disc. You don't have to. The reason RipIt4Me uses that two step process is because it could update DVD Decrypter's ability to work with newer copy protections. It still can to a point, but unfortunately the studios threatened the creator of RipIt4Me so he stopped updating it a fair while ago. You can still use RipIt4Me with something like AnyDVD running in the background if need be.

My main reason for suggesting RipIt4Me is it gives you an easy way to rip only the movie without any extras or menus, or to rip just the movie with menus rather than the full disc. If you only need the movie that might do the job. You can rip just the movie with DVD Shrink as I described but you lose the menus.

Likewise you can open the disc with DVDDecryter and manually select and rip the contents one file at a time if you want to, as that way you'll know which files can be read and which can't.

PS If you do rip with DVDShrink make sure it's compression is disabled or the output file size in it's preferences is set to something huge so it won't try to "shrink" as it rips. By default it tries to shrink everything to fit on a single layer blank disc. Unless of course that's what you want it to do...
    Quote Quote  
  16. DVD Shrink never reaches the point of copying/completing ripping. It stops at 47% and never proceeds further just displaying an error message.

I'm going to now try to follow your much appreciated steps and suggestions.

I've never done anything this complicated as DVD Shrink has always worked before.

Off topic - I thought originally I had set my forum notification settings to notify me by email of any new replies to my post but it's not doing that. When I click Notifications along the top right it says no new messages despite the fact there at at least 2 new messages to my last post.

I clicked Edit my profile but it just spins waiting and never connects.

I apologize for my late responses but I'm not getting alerts to replies to my posts.

Thank you so much for all your kind help.
    Quote Quote  
  17. From what you wrote in post #11, I was under the impression DVDShrink had been able to analyse the entire movie title when you opened it in re-author mode (and dragged it to the left pane). Is that correct? If so you can probably use the backup function to rip it. If it rips the whole title it'll be just the movie. No menus or extras, but at least you can get the movie off the disc. The idea is to see if you're lucky and the full movie title is readable even if a lot of the rest of the files on the disc aren't.

It's generally obvious which title is the movie as usually there's only one large single title with a duration long enough to be the movie (unless it's an episodic DVD in which case there'll probably be several titles the length of an episode). The movie title is sometimes, but not necessarily, title #1. If it's the title that completed analysis, try ripping it on it's own (ie backing it up) without dragging any of the other titles across to the left pane. When the backup is complete you'll have a folder containing a bunch of DVD files you can burn to disc as you would if you'd backed up the entire DVD. When you put the burned disc in a player the movie should automatically start playing. There won't be any menus.
    Quote Quote  
  18. No, under normal ripping DVD Shrink has *not* ripped or copied the movie at all. It reaches 47% analyzing and then sticks - it goes no further and does nothing else but get stuck. There is no move ripped or copied. Under "re-author" mode it analyzes and then "rips" or "copies" only Title one into the left window pane. No other titles gets ripped, copied, etc.

I'll follow your suggestion and try backing-up that Title One and then try burning it to DVD with Ashampoo.

Thanks for all your help.

Stay tuned!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi hello hello, theewizard and all other helpful posters to this thread,

My goal is to rip and burn this on to a single layer (one disc DVD-R).

I re-authored and the only fully analyzed and copied over Title One to that left window pane.

I then clicked Back-Up but almost immediately I kept getting the error message – “DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Copy protection error. The requested resource is in use.”
    I’m guessing my next step is to try using DVD Decrypter in conjunction with RipIt4Me?

I ask that as dvdfab seems to costs $50 unless you only use it for a trial period ( I haven’t yet read all the details about how long your free trial period is, etc.).

I’m double-checking here that I can/should install DVD Decrypter in C:\Program Files\ DVDDecrypter and then install RipIt4Me in C:\Program Files\ RipIt4Me, is that correct?

Then, once are both installed then follow hello hello’s instructions to change preferences in RipIt4Me, correct?

Then, I just follow the RipIt4Me Wizard to “rip” or extract (I’m not sure of the correct verbiage)?

Once RipIt4Me is done then I need to use DVD Shrink to complete the “ripping’?

Thank you all so much for all your patience and help.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi hello hello,

I installed Ripit4 me and DVD Decrypter and then ran Ripit4 me with the preferences set as you suggested.

It performed a bunch of tasks but then ended with the error message “DVD Decrypter – Failed to set data for”

I checked the hard drive folder it was supped to be “ripping’ to and there are Titles 1 – 16 in Main Movie but no file is greater in size then 0.02MB.

There was some language to the effect it was not copyright protected.

Would installing AnyDVD help at this point?

I’m not sure what went wrong or how I might correct that?

Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try the free version of DVD passkey from the dFab people
    Quote Quote  
  22. http://www.dvdfab.cn/pricelist.htm

Passkey looks like it costs $60.

Can you please possibly share any free alternatives?

I could buy a second DVD for much less than $60.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use the FREE VERSION!!!!!!!
    http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter.htm
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    they have changed everything

passkey used to be free, it always lagged behind not having the newest decryption for the newest blockbuster release
    but it was free

decrypter is NOT passkey,
    th copy functions in passkey have never worked for me
    BUT the background decryption does, allowing me to use DVD shrink
    sometimes i need to use dfab then shrink
    the new Star Trek Beyond..did that to me
    dfab copied the disc to HD, but the folder would not play, the ifo files gave errors would not play
    but the main vobs, 4-1 to 4-7 all played
    used shrink on the copied folder to get the main movie 'no compression' and all is well
    main movie all backed up OEM quality

someday i'm going to try makeMKV and see what happens
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    free trial Trial version of passkey lite

https://www.videohelp.com/software?toolsearch=passkey&submit=Search&portable=&s=&orderby=Name&hits=50

click the blue download link version 9.0.0.8 ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hi theewizard,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, experience and the Trial version link.

I'm just a newbie so I'm just trying to confirm that I would download and install the passkey lite and run that and that would then save a Movie file which DVD Shrink could then be used to Backup, do I have that correct?

I'm trying to get a feel for how all these programs coordinate.

Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Passkey .. Is a decryption program that runs in the background
    It's like an interface between the dvd and your copy program
    It has its own copy function option, but that has never worked for me

have pass key running, insert disc, wait a few minutes until all the disc drive noises stop and the drive info appears on your desktop
    Then run DVD shrink or other copy program
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thank you!

I'll give that a try.

I appreciate all your kind help and patience.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is this mysterious disc that you are trying to back up ?

All these posts and not one mention of what it is ?!?!
    wake up this planet is dying!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thank you folks so very much for your kind help.

It worked out.

I'm not sure if its acceptable to segue to a related topic within this?

I have a .webm (video) file. I wish to burn a DVD of that file so I can watch it on a TV/DVD player.

Ashampoo FREE Burning Studio 6 requires a folder containing VOB, IFO and BUP files usually found in a folder named Video_TS.

I launched Ashampoo and clicked Browse but it won’t proceed because there are no VOB, IFO and BUP files, just a .webm file.

VLC Media Player can convert video to other formats but VOB, IFO and BUP are not listed.

I would very much appreciate your insights and suggestions as to how I might burn a DVD of a .webm file?

Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote