VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recently when I try to open a blu ray disc in DVDfab I get the message "To open this Blu-ray disc, you need buy or renew DVDFab "Blu-ray Copy""
    I thought the trail never expired. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling DVDFab but that did nothing. Is there a free tool that will copy Blu-rays as well as this tool? I would buy a copy of DVDFab but I have heard of people paying for it, have the license not work and not be able to get a refund. Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Has it worked for that particular disc before? Is it giving you that message on every Blu-Ray video/movie disc you try?

It's probably a message telling you the version you have installed doesn't know how to handle that disc, but a newer version might. Try updating to the current version, if you haven't already.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Has it worked for that particular disc before? Is it giving you that message on every Blu-Ray video/movie disc you try?

It's probably a message telling you the version you have installed doesn't know how to handle that disc, but a newer version might. Try updating to the current version, if you haven't already.
    I tried that and it said it was up to date. I've tried it on 3 different discs and it gave that message every time. I haven't been able to try it on a disc I was successful with before. I should also mention that it still does DVDs just fine.
    Last edited by form4li7y; 12th Oct 2016 at 07:16.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by form4li7y View Post
    Recently when I try to open a blu ray disc in DVDfab I get the message "To open this Blu-ray disc, you need buy or renew DVDFab "Blu-ray Copy""
    I thought the trail never expired. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling DVDFab but that did nothing. Is there a free tool that will copy Blu-rays as well as this tool? I would buy a copy of DVDFab but I have heard of people paying for it, have the license not work and not be able to get a refund. Any help is appreciated.
    if your using the trial version of dvdfab it is good for 30 days. the free HD Decrypter never expires but
    may not work on newer discs right away (it lags in terms of decryption updates) paid users get decryption
    updates first. the free HD Decrypter will get updated at a later date. your disc may have a new encryption
    that hasn't been broken yet.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Recently when I try to open a blu ray disc in DVDfab I get the message "To open this Blu-ray disc, you need buy or renew DVDFab "Blu-ray Copy""
    if your using the trial version of dvdfab it is good for 30 days. the free HD Decrypter never expires but
    may not work on newer discs right away (it lags in terms of decryption updates) paid users get decryption
    updates first. the free HD Decrypter will get updated at a later date. your disc may have a new encryption
    I didn't know that about the paid vs free users but thats understandable. I guess I will give it time and see. Thanks for the information.
    On a side note, do you know of any good free alternatives to DVDFab? I usually like to have a back up plan but I haven't been able to find a free one yet. I wouldn't mind paying for a good one but with this kind of software I have seen a lot of people having troubles with paid versions. I have seen some say their keys didn't work after paying money or the program would get bought by another company and the user would have to buy another key to continue using it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I didn't know that about the paid vs free users but thats understandable. I guess I will give it time and see. Thanks for the information.
    On a side note, do you know of any good free alternatives to DVDFab? I usually like to have a back up plan but I haven't been able to find a free one yet. I wouldn't mind paying for a good one but with this kind of software I have seen a lot of people having troubles with paid versions. I have seen some say their keys didn't work after paying money or the program would get bought by another company and the user would have to buy another key to continue using it.
    MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, and has been in beta for many years. You'll need to reinstall with new versions as they are released, or install a new beta key from their forum periodically.

MakeMKV can rip the entire Blu-ray to the hard drive in Backup mode. In its regular mode, it rips the main movie only, and outputs as an uncompressed MKV file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, and has been in beta for many years. You'll need to reinstall with new versions as they are released, or install a new beta key from their forum periodically.

MakeMKV can rip the entire Blu-ray to the hard drive in Backup mode. In its regular mode, it rips the main movie only, and outputs as an uncompressed MKV file.
    Thanks for the reply. I originally passed on MakeMKV because I've never seen anyone mention it could back up the entire disc. I was under the impression it would only do the main movie. I will give it a try now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply. I originally passed on MakeMKV because I've never seen anyone mention it could back up the entire disc. I was under the impression it would only do the main movie. I will give it a try now.
    Backup mode only works for Blu-ray. DVDs can only be ripped as MKV files in MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you live in the USA and purchase DVDFab then it has certain restrictions on the program, You need a non US version.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    If you live in the USA and purchase DVDFab then it has certain restrictions on the program, You need a non US version.
    that's no longer a problem. it's all one version now, the international version
    Last edited by october262; 13th Oct 2016 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [/QUOTE] that's no longer a problem. it's all one version now, the international version[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I didn't know they change it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    Last edited by Sinatrafan; 20th Oct 2016 at 01:32. Reason: deleted
    Quote Quote  
  13. HD Decrypter does not expire. The other options are only there for 30 days. DVDFab is good for decryption but there are other free tools that are much better for conversion to other formats, like BD Rebuilder.
    Quote Quote