VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. was curious to know if anyone has gone through enough of the CMC Pro Taiyo Yuden discs to tell if there are any quality issues? i'm pretty fond of the old t.y. brand, but i'm down to my last 200 & not sure i want anything with CMC on it. i tried a spindle of the good verbatims & they seem to be fine so far.
    thank you to pieces.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not, like you CMC equates to junk IMO, kind of a hard thought to break.
    I'm also using AZO Verbatims and have been having very good results, guess I'll just stick with those unless they take a turn for the worse.
    The nice thing about Verbatims is they can regularly be found for ~$20 shipped on Amazon, even less if you luck out on a sale
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't image that being any good.
    But worth a try.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Early reports over at MyCE have been favorable, but hard to say if CMC will maintain good quality. http://club.myce.com/f33/cmc-pro-powered-ty-341120/
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have received a few PMs recently from VH members, warning me away from the CMC-made "TYs" (apparently they have a much higher failure rate in some models of DVD recorder). Haven't tried the CMC yet myself since I still have a few hundred "original" TYs purchased last year. I would imagine they're fine if burned in a PC, or at least on par with any other non-Verbatim-AZO discs out there.

In my own vintage Pioneer and JVC recorders, I alternate between TY/JVC 8x and Verbatim DataLife Plus 8x (recorders will randomly decide they prefer one or the other week to week). For PC use I just grab a 100-pak of Verbatim AZO 16x whenever I see it at my local MicroCenter (buried under mountains of "Life Series" - yuck). Or I get it from Amazon during their occasional giveaway sales @ $16.99.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for the input. i know people rave about azo verbatims, but i've never used them until this month. of the 2800 ty discs i've used so far, i've had 3 bad ones, so i had no reason to switch, until they stopped making them.
    right this minute, b&h photo in new york has the mcc verbatims for the same price as amazon also with free shipping for orders over $49. i've had good luck with them on other merchandise.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I do videotape transfers (1000's per year) to standalone DVD recorders (with hard drives that I record to first) using external full-frame TBC's connected to S-VHS decks for VHS tapes an various other formats. I finally ran out of original Taiyo Yuden (JVC) DVD-R 8x discs about a month ago and switched to the new CMC DVD-R 8x discs that are the same model # as the original Taiyo Yuden. I was having a 1% (or lower) failure rate with the original Taiyo Yuden discs which was great. Right from the first batch of CMC discs, I was having an increased failure rate of around 5%. Anytime I had a failed burn I would substitute a DVD-R 4x disc (which I did the rare times a burn would fail with original Taiyo Yuden discs) and those discs have successfully burned without one failure.

Today I was working on some VHS videotape transfers on 2 different DVD recorders (even in different rooms) and the failure rate has increased to 30%. Each time a CMC DVD failed I again substituted a 4x DVD-R and that has worked. Then I decided to use some Ridata DVD-R 8x discs that I forgot I had and started using those after a CMC DVD disc failed. So far, I have done this 6 times (both DVD recorders) and the Ridata DVD-R 8x discs have not failed once to burn.
    Last edited by Cavemandude; 21st Jan 2017 at 14:45.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My 2 cents, when the "CMC power by TY" first came out I ran through several hundred without any problems. However, as time has passed I'm getting around 30% failure rate when I burn a DVD to the full capacity of the disk. The disks will fail to verify at the outer sectors of the disk and for me that's a fail. They were nice while the quality was good, but time to move away from them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've had failures very early in the burn that only had 5 minutes of video. Also had more failures using my DVD duplication towers.
    Quote Quote