VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    i would like to rip some dvd i bought to mp4
    is there a way to speed up the encode to mp4 ?

does apple quicktime speed up the process ?

i'm asking because i did with an old imac and it was faster then a tough pc

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For true comparison, you have too run the same disc, through both computers, at exactly the same settings, bit rate, quality,etc..
    Just guessing, but I would say they were using different settings

And no way at all to give an answer when comparing different DVDs on didn't machines

Too speed up just change the quality settings, lower resolution, lower bit rate,
    But you might not be happy with the resulting picture

The fastest rip you can get, is with a program that does not recode to another format
    Something like makemkv, but if you have a double layer retail disc your blockbuster movie will be 6 or 7 gigabyte in size

Seems like many people want to 'convert' their anime DVDs to mp4 etc..to make the files smaller
    episode discs take time, especially if you want good quality
    Last edited by theewizard; 4th Oct 2016 at 12:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by rama View Post
    Hard to believe unless you have serious issue or with HW or with SW - describe owned HW and used SW.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by rama View Post
    Hard to believe unless you have serious issue or with HW or with SW - describe owned HW and used SW.
    hi
    maybe some apple programs like final cut are optimazed , what is it HW and SW?
    on several pc , i have't installed quicktime
    does quicktime speed up the encoding of mp4?
    for example i know it's just off topic but premiere does use quicktime if installed , or does it use always its own codec
    thaks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HW = hardware aka the computer

SW = software aka the programs you use for the conversion

English might not be your native language, BUT like air traffic control, it is native to computer use

English acronyms for computer speak are used all over the world

hard to Not know what HW and SW mean
    Last edited by theewizard; 5th Oct 2016 at 01:59.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rama View Post
    hi
    maybe some apple programs like final cut are optimazed , what is it HW and SW?
    on several pc , i have't installed quicktime
    does quicktime speed up the encoding of mp4?
    for example i know it's just off topic but premiere does use quicktime if installed , or does it use always its own codec
    thaks
    Yes some programs (SoftWare) are optimized better than other but there is no magic, at some point further optimization is not possible - you reaching point where nothing can be faster then or you need to buy new HardWare (computer/CPU etc) or you need to be patient.
    Common problems with software is old version and as newer version usually are better optimized then using latest SoftWare version may help a bit (not much - perhaps 10 - max 20% usually in terms of improving speed).
    HardWare is very important and even some small problems (like heatsink fins covered by dust) may trig low performance behaviour (CPU a.k.a processor have reduced speed to avoid overheating).
    Some crappy software present on your computer (i consider Quicktime as bloatware and pure crap - with few exceptions related to AAC encoding) may reduce speed, same for bad SoftWare configuration (high background activity common for some spyware, viruses but not only as realtime antivirus protection can be resource hog too).
    Slow computer performance may be related to HDD faults (frequent sector remapping in case when HDD dying), may be related to low amount of Random Access Memory (and Operating System frequently is forced to use virtual memory on HDD which is extremely slow).
    In your case there can be many factors involved and your comparison relatively modern PC with well optimized SoftWare to be slower than old iMac (i assume still we talking about Intel CPU's not PowerPC) i would rather expect some serious problem with your HW and SW environment than with software.
    There is a chance that you have some very modern graphics card and maybe this card can be used to encode video (which can be very fast, usually faster than CPU and also usually with lower quality i.e. higher bitrate than CPU is capable to deliver) .
    So start analysing where is root of your problem and i doubt that QuickTime presence will help (i bet than x264 with comparable settings will be faster than QT).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Processing time is always cpu dependant. The faster the cpu, the faster the conversion will be. There will likely be little difference between any newer software converting a file of similar specs.

If you want to convert faster, upgrade your hardware.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, 90% of the time, use of QuickTime would greatly slow down whatever process (certainly on PC but often also on Mac).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. The encoder settings make a big difference. For example, there is a 100 fold speed difference between x264's fastest (ultrafast) and slowest (placebo) presets (most of the free DVD converters use x264). So if two programs default to different settings you will get very different encoding times. In general, the slower settings deliver better quality per bitrate -- so it's a tradeoff between encoding time and video quality.
    Quote Quote