VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Like the topic says, but a bit more elaborated, what I'm trying to do is:
    1. Take the original DVD which only contains French subtitles
    2. Rip the French subtitles to an srt file
    3. Translate the subtitles to English
    4. Add the translated subtitles as an additional subtitle track to the DVD and keep the original menues

I've been trying to follow this guide: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/217500-How-to-add-your-own-subtitle-to-DVD-%28keep-...u-multi-pgc%29

Here's what my problem is:
    The DVD actually consists of multiple episodes (six of them). These episodes are all within VTS_03_1.VOB through VTS_03_8.VOB.
    When I rip the subtitles, I end up with ONE srt file, which starts at episode 1 and ends with episode 6. But when I follow that guide, it wants to demux the episodes as 6 separate PGC files. So I can't add the new subtitles, as the subtitles are not seperated by episode. What exactly do I need to do? I am very bad at this and while it makes sense to me that the subtitles are ripped as one large chunk, as it's really like one large video -- i.e. playing the DVD on a DVD player, the counter keeps on going between the episodes, it does not reset at 0:00:00 by the start of each episode -- I don't understand why I am forced to demux the PGC files one by one.
    Just how am I supposed to add the subtitles to these when they are all in one chunk? Really confused here. Any help appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think your DVD is authored as one PGC (Title) having each episode as cells (Chapters).

How many PGC's do you see in PGCDemux? One or six?

Note for the guide it says and it's also compatible with multi-pgc DVDs. but actually only deals with a single PGC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I think your DVD is authored as one PGC (Title) having each episode as cells (Chapters).

How many PGC's do you see in PGCDemux? One or six?

Note for the guide it says and it's also compatible with multi-pgc DVDs. but actually only deals with a single PGC.
    Thank you for replying.
    It shows 6 different PGC's in PGCDemux.

I just found this guide for DvdReMake Pro... Maybe that is what I need to get in order to pursue this DVD. It appears to cover mutli-PGC discs on page 28.
    http://www.dimadsoft.com/other/mirx/Custom_subtitling_revised_v1_0.pdf
    Last edited by guy24s; 5th Oct 2016 at 02:30.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by guy24s View Post
    When I rip the subtitles, I end up with ONE srt file, which starts at episode 1 and ends with episode 6.
    Did you say what you're using to extract the subtitles? The obvious answer is to extract each PGC (title or episode) subtitle separately, do the translations separately, and then add the newly subbed episodes back into the original DVD. Is there a problem with doing it that way?

You don't need DVDRemake for this, although I do use MaestroSBT, Muxman, and PGCDemux quite a lot myself. I think that guide must be very old and, although it's a decent guide, I use VobBlanker (or PGCEdit) for replacing the newly subtitled PGCs and PGCEdit for fixing the colors.

Baldrick's Method 2 of his guide here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

is a little more recent, I think. It doesn't cover episodic DVDs, but once you know how to extract and subtitle the episodes individually, it will all fall into place.
    Last edited by manono; 5th Oct 2016 at 03:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try using VsRip for ripping the subtitles. It'll let you choose between the PGCs

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 10_5_2016 , 1_14_26 PM.png
Views:	242
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	38820

I would use Subtitle Edit (install french Tesseract + Dictionary - use the three dots) and make OCR.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Install.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	38821

SE has Google translate that may give you 1/3 usable english subtitles. (Hard) work for the rest and you can use "File -> Export -> Vobsub."

If you want to follow the guides and use Muxman you can convert the idx/vobsub to sup with BDSup2Sub.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you both for your replies.
    I was using Subrip to extract the subtitles, but even if I was to extract each PGC's subtitles seperately, I don't understand how I would go about reinserting them into multiple PGCs? It seems all these guides just explain how to do one PGC (the main movie) and not what steps to take if you are adding subtitles to several PGCs?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Treat each PGC as a movie, so-to-speak. If following Baldrick's guide to which I linked above but maybe creating the subtitles following the guide to which you linked earlier (using SSA subs in MaestroSBT to create SUP subtitles for use in Muxman), demux each PGC (title) to its own folder (PGC1, PGC2, PGC3, etc.), make the subs, reauthor each PGC in Muxman, then when you come to the 'Replace' step in VobBlanker you'll see different titles which can be replaced separately. Or create VobSubs (IDX/SUB) following videobruger's instructions, convert them to SUP and reauthor.

In Baldrick's guide, yes, there is only one title, but when you use VobBlanker for your DVD you'll see several. Try it before going through all the work just to ease your mind about that - open the DVD in VOBBlanker and look around.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Treat each PGC as a movie, so-to-speak. If following Baldrick's guide to which I linked above but maybe creating the subtitles following the guide to which you linked earlier (using SSA subs in MaestroSBT to create SUP subtitles for use in Muxman), demux each PGC (title) to its own folder (PGC1, PGC2, PGC3, etc.), make the subs, reauthor each PGC in Muxman, then when you come to the 'Replace' step in VobBlanker you'll see different titles which can be replaced separately. Or create VobSubs (IDX/SUB) following videobruger's instructions, convert them to SUP and reauthor.

In Baldrick's guide, yes, there is only one title, but when you use VobBlanker for your DVD you'll see several. Try it before going through all the work just to ease your mind about that - open the DVD in VOBBlanker and look around.
    Thank you. Will try this!
    Quote Quote