VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone please help me why I get jittery video when tripod panning at 30 frames per second? I am not panning fast but take my time and pan slowly but still wind up with jittery video. I even send it through my editing software and the final result is still jittery. The reason I asked this question is because I see tons of videos on line where people are panning @30fps and not getting the jittery video.

I've tried various shutter speeds and also shot in full auto and still get jittery fact.

Is there a way I can set my camera up so that I can pan at 30fps and get smooth video results?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Make sure any image stabilisation is turned of. Depending on the model of your camera, this might be either OIS (optical image stabilisation) or EIS (electronic image stabilisation)

Image stabilisation and panning work against each other - and can result in jittery video pans...
    Quote Quote  
  3. To reduce flicker at 30p use slow shutter speeds (motion blur), narrow depth of field (background blurred), low contrast.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Please explain how you understand "jitter" - perhaps it is something else than jitter - perhaps it is stutter...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Please explain how you understand "jitter" - perhaps it is something else than jitter - perhaps it is stutter...
    I think the best way to explain jittery would be to use the word flicker as jagabo, described. I just viewed the video and I did see some problems due to the wrong shutter speed I had set. I will adjust to shutter speed to a much lower setting and see what I come up with.

Now with all that said I still see flickering as I pan back and forth shooting at 30fps. When I shoot at 60p fps I never see any flickering only when I shoot at 30 or 24.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Make sure any image stabilisation is turned of. Depending on the model of your camera, this might be either OIS (optical image stabilisation) or EIS (electronic image stabilisation)

Image stabilisation and panning work against each other - and can result in jittery video pans...
    Thank you for that but I always do have the stabilization turned off on my Sony PXW-Z150.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    To reduce flicker at 30p use slow shutter speeds (motion blur), narrow depth of field (background blurred), low contrast.
    I will work on slower shutter speed and narrowing the depth of field.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Biped View Post
    Please explain how you understand "jitter" - perhaps it is something else than jitter - perhaps it is stutter...
    I think the best way to explain jittery would be to use the word flicker as jagabo, described. I just viewed the video and I did see some problems due to the wrong shutter speed I had set. I will adjust to shutter speed to a much lower setting and see what I come up with.

Now with all that said I still see flickering as I pan back and forth shooting at 30fps. When I shoot at 60p fps I never see any flickering only when I shoot at 30 or 24.
    As i understand term "flicker" - this word cover things visible as fast luminance change (for example someone place between two video frames a black one) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_%28screen%29

"jitter" from my perspective may cover small, fast motion changes (randomly usually) in one, two or more directions

"stutter" is usually another time domain distortion where video doesn't have smooth motion but overall motion is keep'd (such as panning with some frames duplicated i.e. repeated twice) - usually stutter is regular, i think irregular version of stutter can use word "jerky" to describe visible time domain distortions.
    If 60fps is not a problem you can try to use 60fps and later decimate video by removing unwanted video frames (or you can convert video with using motion compensation techniques).
    Side to this perhaps your acquisition device may introduce this behaviour - you may check manufacturer site for some firmware upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Biped View Post

As i understand term "flicker" - this word cover things visible as fast luminance change (for example someone place between two video frames a black one) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_%28screen%29

"jitter" from my perspective may cover small, fast motion changes (randomly usually) in one, two or more directions

"stutter" is usually another time domain distortion where video doesn't have smooth motion but overall motion is keep'd (such as panning with some frames duplicated i.e. repeated twice) - usually stutter is regular, i think irregular version of stutter can use word "jerky" to describe visible time domain distortions.
    If 60fps is not a problem you can try to use 60fps and later decimate video by removing unwanted video frames (or you can convert video with using motion compensation techniques).
    Side to this perhaps your acquisition device may introduce this behaviour - you may check manufacturer site for some firmware upgrade.
    Yes I have the latest firmware. I don't mind shooting at 60 frames but my new camera has a 4K feature that only records and 24 or 30 frames. This is why I want to achieve panning at 24 or 30 frames without any video flicker.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Biped View Post
    Yes I have the latest firmware. I don't mind shooting at 60 frames but my new camera has a 4K feature that only records and 24 or 30 frames. This is why I want to achieve panning at 24 or 30 frames without any video flicker.
    Are you able to share some small clip with observed issue - perhaps this is something beyond camera?

I mean if 1080p60 works but 2160p30 not then perhaps problem is located somewhere else?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a flicker with 1080p30?
    Quote Quote  
  12. 30p pans always flicker with high contrast material. Compare 30p and 60p.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Biped View Post
    Are you able to share some small clip with observed issue - perhaps this is something beyond camera?

I mean if 1080p60 works but 2160p30 not then perhaps problem is located somewhere else?
    Pandy, I don't have a problem uploading a small clip and matter-of-fact I done so and send it to YouTube but decided not to post it. As you know YouTube compresses and when I uploaded it and viewed it on YouTube it was even more choppy, jittery them what I produced. It would've made a very unrealistic example of what I'm trying to portray.

Yesterday I did a 30p test at 30 shutter and it came out very well. Now it had motion blur but I know that is to be expected at 24 or 30 frames. I'm well familiar with motion blur. One other person within this thread mentioned use a lower shutter. I was using 50, 60 and above before and never thought to go as low as 30. Much to my surprise 30 shutter speed at 30 frames for my camera seems to be fine.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Biped View Post
    Yesterday I did a 30p test at 30 shutter and it came out very well. Now it had motion blur but I know that is to be expected at 24 or 30 frames. I'm well familiar with motion blur. One other person within this thread mentioned use a lower shutter. I was using 50, 60 and above before and never thought to go as low as 30. Much to my surprise 30 shutter speed at 30 frames for my camera seems to be fine.
    Still it can be nice to attach few samples - adding motion blur will improve perceived motions smoothness (fluidity) at a cost of perceived sharpness - this is compromise due low temporal resolution with 24/30fps. Longer exposition is workaround for this... but this is always workaround - real future is for high framerates.
    60 fps and way more (above 300 - 600) this is where all pleasure (smooth/fluid and sharp) starts.
    Quote Quote