VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Ive been going thru some old vid tapes and getting 2 or 3 min clips onto dvd discs

I then put the dvd disc into a desk top comp ....
    send the files to documents.... prob 26 vob files I think they are called

I then get up any video converter and convert the files to mpeg 2

I did this lots of times no prob

that desk top receently conked out and its a write off

Im left with my lap top now

Ive managed to get ..... any video converter .... onto there
    I ve also got .... freemake video converter ....

I put a disc in.... moved the files to documents
    converted to mp2 with any video ... only to get files that play for about 10 seconds !
    I got same result with the freemake software..... 10 seconds or maybe 15 seconds

the end files should be coming out as 2 mins or 3 mins clips etc .... !

I m baffled !

thanks for any help or advice
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use Mpg2cut2. Open VOB(s), mark in, mark out, Save This Clip as MPG.

Or use VOB2MPG.

Both of those applications will simply remux from VOB to MPG. There will be no change of quality or codecs.
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Sep 2016 at 08:39.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The same procedure as every groundhog day...

A "DVD Video media" is not just a sequence of VOB files. Forget every software which does not care about the logical structure as described in the IFO files. Only use software which will present you a selection of titles or chapters with their respective playing times, so you can select the desired pieces according to their meaning, not just their storage in files.

By the way, never forget to finalize a DVD burned in a VHS to DVD recorder, because the ISO-9660 file system (the one which Windows reads) will only be created when the final generation of the UDF file system (the one which a DVD player reads) has been updated. Good DVD rippers will also prefer the UDF file system (because there are copy protection systems which mess the ISO file system to confuse Windows PCs).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What OS is your laptop? If it's Windows 10, it could have compatibility problems.

You might try: DVDVob2Mpg as I've had better luck with it than Vob2MPG with W10.

But also try the suggestions by our members.

And welcome to our forums.
    Last edited by redwudz; 30th Sep 2016 at 19:10.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Im on windows 7 home premium

think your e right ... there are compatability problems with ... any video converter.....

I used it 100s of times with my xp desktop .... no probs

Ive got Use Mpg2cut2. but as yet, cant figure out how to use it .

Ill go try and get vob to MPG !

Thanks for replies, but Dont seem to be getting notif
    Last edited by lovebug; 2nd Oct 2016 at 19:41.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
    Ive got Use Mpg2cut2. but as yet, cant figure out how to use it .
    It's an ugly interface bit usage is simple for what you're doing.

1) File -> Open... select VOB file(s).
    2) Scrub to the start of the section you want to export. Edit -> Mark From, or click the button with the left square bracket, "[".
    3) Scrub to the end of the section you want to export. Edit -> Mark To, or click the button with the right square bracket, "]".
    4) File -> Save This Clip.

Repeat steps 2 through 4 for each clip you want to export.

LigH.de is right that there are some VOB sets which a cutter like Mpg2Cut2 will have problems with. But I've only see that with some commercial DVDs where they try to obfuscate what's going on (as part of their copy protection) or have multiple angles.
    Quote Quote  
  7. HI
    got DVD VOB TO MPG ... old version.... and it works ... finally got the files restore to their proper
    lenght
    .... but..... the files seem very big in meg terms....

in fact the same size as the vobs !

Uts as uf they are still vobs but now play at their proper length !
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
    HI
    got DVD VOB TO MPG ... old version.... and it works ... finally got the files restore to their proper
    lenght
    .... but..... the files seem very big in meg terms....

in fact the same size as the vobs !

Uts as uf they are still vobs but now play at their proper length !
    Since all VOB2MPG does is copy video, audio, and subtitles from a movie in VOB format into an MPG container, the mpg file produced by VOB2MPG should be about the same size as the original.

Reducing the size of the mpg files would require re-encoding the video, or converting it to something other than MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. (MPG/MPEG files always contain either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Oct 2016 at 00:52.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I FINALLY got freemake video converter up and put in the 9 files I converted from vob to mpg

at last ... it worked and converted the files to mpeg2 with a good reduction in meg size

thanks for help.... at least now I have a means of getting those huge vob files reduced....

Think Ill have to convert files in the DVD VOB TO MPG THree AT A TIME as it does nt seem to cope with a lot of files

one file came out with no sound but I think the other 8 all have sound

I found a site that converts to mpeg2 on line.... only prob.... a 100 meg limit to the freeloaders !
    Last edited by lovebug; 3rd Oct 2016 at 09:34.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I FINALLY got freemake video converter up and put in the 9 files I converted from vob to mpg

at last ... it worked and converted the files to mpeg2 with a good reduction in meg size

thanks for help.... at least now I have a means of getting those huge vob files reduced....
    If the files are significantly smaller and MPEG-2 video in an mpg file, they are also much lower quality than the originals. You would get better quality and smaller size by converting to h.264 video and AAC audio in an mp4 file. No doubt freemake can do that too.

It is too bad you never mentioned before now that your goal was smaller files.
    Quote Quote  
  11. h.264 video .... ! thats a new one on me !

converting to h.264 video and AAC audio in an mp4 file .... Ill have to look into that ... of course I want as high a quality as possible

theres a heck of a lot of options in freemake.... Ill have to check them out !
    Quote Quote  
  12. Just converted 2 files using mpeg 4 h264... dvd quality with freemake

exellent results...... sound to vid coordination good too a few had been out of sync before
    Quote Quote  
  13. The .... DVD VOB TO MPG.... software does nt seem to be able to handle more than 3 files at a time

pity theres not something that would convert the vobs in a batch of 20 or more

.... like any video converter.... use to do on my desk top
    Quote Quote  
  14. things get worse...............

I converted about 9 files from a dvd but then realized that half of the clips have no sound

I went back to the orig disc and played the vob files.... only plays about 5 seconds.....

only to discover that there is no sound on some files.

I took the dvd disc out .... played it in a dvd player... the sound is there ok

so I had finalised the disc

So why is nt the sound there when I play it on my lap top ? surely by finalizing a disc you make it playable
    on all machines ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. JUST converted 20 vids vob to mpg using dvdvob2mpg

then converted those vids to mpeg 2 using any video converter...

things worked ok ..... maybe it s a lot to do with having a new HP desktop with 8 g memory

maybe my old laptop just could nt cope ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Personally, this is what I do for any DVD I want to work with:
    • First, rip the entire DVD to the hard drive using DVDFab. You can't just copy the VOB files because you need the IFO files that go with them.
    • Then, turn them into MPG files using VOB2MPG. It will work even if the VOB files are jumbled inside, because it uses the IFO files to read the video in the right order.
    • If I don't have any subtitles to deal with, I go straight to VidCoder with the MPG file and encode it as h.264 video in an MP4 container. VidCoder is fast and produces good quality results.
    I can start with a DVD and turn an entire movie into an MP4 file in less time that it would take to watch the movie.

I'm not a fan of freemake because they were constantly trying to get me to buy the paid version or buy some plug-in. There's plenty of good free software out there, so I don't need to be hounded constantly to buy something that may or may not even do what I need.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    As already mentioned here and there, several times: A VOB segment is already an MPEG ProgramStream file. And many DVD Rippers are able to extract the "main movie PGC" as a continuous file if you disable the segmentation at each GB. There is just this detail that DVD VOBs may contain audio streams beyong the MPEG specs.
    Quote Quote  
  18. its strange though... I used to just get the vob files off the dvd made on my own dvd recorder...

put those files in ... any video converter..... convert them to mpeg 2 and bingo Id have 20 video clips about 2 mins long

suddenly that does nt work and I have to first convert the vobs using DVD vob 2 MPG

dont see why something Ive been doing for 3 years or more ... suddenly does nt work
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    As already mentioned here and there, several times: A VOB segment is already an MPEG ProgramStream file. And many DVD Rippers are able to extract the "main movie PGC" as a continuous file if you disable the segmentation at each GB. There is just this detail that DVD VOBs may contain audio streams beyong the MPEG specs.
    As has also already been mentioned here and there several times: While a VOB file does indeed contain MPEG2 Program Stream video data, it is NOT the same thing as an MPG file. The video and audio data is not guaranteed to be in order, and not only can a VOB file contain other audio data, it can also contain subtitle data, menu data, and even complete garbage data. So unless your DVD ripper has the option to save the PGC as an MPG file, you're still going to have problems dealing with the VOB file.

It is the IFO file on the DVD that tells hardware and software players how to access that data so it looks as intended when you play it. That is why you need to extract the MPEG2 video and the audio into a compliant MPG file before trying to edit or re-encode the video. While there is more than one program that can do it, VOB2MPG is by far the easiest and fastest one I have used, which is why it is the only one I ever mention.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    As has also already been mentioned here and there several times: While a VOB file does indeed contain MPEG2 Program Stream video data, it is NOT the same thing as an MPG file. The video and audio data is not guaranteed to be in order, and not only can a VOB file contain other audio data, it can also contain subtitle data, menu data, and even complete garbage data. So unless your DVD ripper has the option to save the PGC as an MPG file, you're still going to have problems dealing with the VOB file.
    If you're referring to angles and/or seamless branching, that can be handled either during the decrypting stage or afterwards using something such as PGCDemux. Subs are extracted separately. Chapter points can be easily gotten. The 'garbage data' (by which I assume you're referring to the crap added to make decryption more difficult) is handled during the decrypting process. It certainly isn't necessary to make a DVD into an MPG to work with it. I never do that. Besides, angles and seamless branching are found in ... what ... less than 1% of the DVDs out there.

That is why you need to extract the MPEG2 video and the audio into a compliant MPG file before trying to edit or re-encode the video.
    Not true at all.

If lovebug wants to cut pieces from decrypted VOBs, MPEG2Cut2 will easily do it. If he then wants to join together all those little MPGs he made, MPEG2Cut2 will also do it. jagabo mentioned all this in the first reply to this way too long thread. Shrinking the size or converting to a different format is something else entirely. Still no need for VOB2MPG, though, although some find it helpful.
    I go straight to VidCoder with the MPG file and encode it as h.264 video in an MP4 container.
    Unless I'm mistaken, Vidcoder can take DVD input without it being converted to MPG. It only has to have been decrypted properly. You have a method that works for you, but outside of decrypting before beginning work, I do none of that.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If lovebug wants to cut pieces from decrypted VOBs, MPEG2Cut2 will easily do it. If he then wants to join together all those little MPGs he made, MPEG2Cut2 will also do it. jagabo mentioned all this in the first reply to this way too long thread. Shrinking the size or converting to a different format is something else entirely. Still no need for VOB2MPG, though, although some find it helpful.
    I find using VOB2MPG helps quite a bit with my current DVD recorder. I record everything to the HDD in SP mode, and when I dub recordings to DVD, the recorder puts all of them in one title set. Individual recordings can start in the middle of one VOB and end in the middle of a different VOB. Having a program that can automatically locate each recording, join the pieces correctly and extract each recording separately, saves me some work.

[Edit] I tried PgcDemux to find out what it does. The way it processes the DVD is comparable to what VOB2MPG does in IFO mode, except that the output is elementary audio and video streams, not an mpg. If the editor someone wants to use accepts elementary streams, then it would work just as well as VOB2MPG, although it might be necessary to correct for audio delay.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Jan 2017 at 00:15.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That is why you need to extract the MPEG2 video and the audio into a compliant MPG file before trying to edit or re-encode the video.
    Not true at all.
    I love people who know everything.

If lovebug wants to cut pieces from decrypted VOBs, MPEG2Cut2 will easily do it. If he then wants to join together all those little MPGs he made, MPEG2Cut2 will also do it.
    Because MPEG2Cut2 extracts the MPG data from the VOB file. As I said in my original comment, there is more than one program that can do it.

jagabo mentioned all this in the first reply to this way too long thread.
    He also pointed out that there are some VOB sets that MPEG2Cut2 won't work on. The reason being that it only works if the MPG data is in order. If the cells in the VOB file are shuffled out of order, such as in a commercial DVD, it won't work. That is the very reason I use VOB2MPG, because it doesn't matter if the cells in the VOB set are out of order.

If you felt the thread was already way too long, why did you feel compelled to make it even longer?

I go straight to VidCoder with the MPG file and encode it as h.264 video in an MP4 container.
    Unless I'm mistaken, Vidcoder can take DVD input without it being converted to MPG. It only has to have been decrypted properly. You have a method that works for you, but outside of decrypting before beginning work, I do none of that.
    Yes, VidCoder can take a DVD rip and encode specific titles. But it can't do any editing, other than trimming the start and end times. And it can't concatenate files, either. I was so used to extracting the MPG from the DVD rip, because I used to use avi.NET for years to convert them to DivX files before I started using VidCoder, that I often forget that VidCoder doesn't need that extra step in there.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    Not true at all.
    Nice response. I state a fact and get accused of knowing everything. I don't know everything but I know something about this subject.
    Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    He also pointed out that there are some VOB sets that MPEG2Cut2 won't work on. The reason being that it only works if the MPG data is in order. If the cells in the VOB file are shuffled out of order, such as in a commercial DVD, it won't work.
    And I already said you decrypt the DVD properly, or extract the PGC you want in advance and the problem goes away. I also stated that maybe less than 1% of all DVDs ever released have the problem of the video not being 'in order'. It's a red herring. It's a bogus concern.
    As I said in my original comment, there is more than one program that can do it.
    Except that your way involves the extra step of converting the entire thing to MPG before doing the cutting and MPG2Cut2 both cuts the VOBs while at the same time converting to MPG.
    If you felt the thread was already way too long, why did you feel compelled to make it even longer?
    Because I saw you jumping in all over the forum making useless remarks and picking fights.
    Yes, VidCoder can take a DVD rip and encode specific titles.
    I guess we agree on something, then. That you perform an additional and usually unnecessary extra step before reencoding for MP4 or whatever.
    But it can't do any editing, other than trimming the start and end times. And it can't concatenate files, either.
    So what? It's an encoder. You listed it after the usually unnecessary VOB2MPG step as a good way to go from DVD to MP4/MKV. In lovebug's case the editing and joining will already have been done. Your way works, yes. It just involves extra work. I have never had to use VOB2MPG and have worked with and reencoded many many DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    its strange though... I used to just get the vob files off the dvd made on my own dvd recorder...

put those files in ... any video converter..... convert them to mpeg 2 and bingo Id have 20 video clips about 2 mins long

suddenly that does nt work and I have to first convert the vobs using DVD vob 2 MPG

dont see why something Ive been doing for 3 years or more ... suddenly does nt work
    Something has obviously changed since 3 years ago.

Do you have a different DVD recorder now? My old DVD recorder and my new DVD recorder organize recordings differently on the DVDs that they create.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not true at all.
    Nice response. I state a fact and get accused of knowing everything. I don't know everything but I know something about this subject.
    Except your "fact" is an inaccurate blanket statement. You say it's "not true" that you have to extract the MPEG2 data, but then you rave about MPEG2Cut2, which does exactly that. You've contradicted yourself.

Granted, you can encode the video right from the DVD rip with VidCoder if you're not doing any editing. I'll give you that one. But if you do need to edit the video, you need to be able to extract the MPEG2 data.

He also pointed out that there are some VOB sets that MPEG2Cut2 won't work on. The reason being that it only works if the MPG data is in order. If the cells in the VOB file are shuffled out of order, such as in a commercial DVD, it won't work.
    And I already said you decrypt the DVD properly, or extract the PGC you want in advance and the problem goes away. I also stated that maybe less than 1% of all DVDs ever released have the problem of the video not being 'in order'. It's a red herring. It's a bogus concern.
    Decryption only removes the encryption from the DVD. Most decrypters also allow you to remove PUOPs from the disc. There are decrypting programs that allow you to select only the main PGC, in which case it will put the video in proper order. But if you simply rip the entire DVD, it doesn't change the way the VOB files are laid out. I don't know how may DVDs you've worked with to make the outrageous claim that less than 1% have the video out of order, but I have worked with thousands, and almost ALL of them have that problem. I've never seen your red herring, but I've seen tons of DVDs with jumbled VOB files.

Your claim of "less than 1%" is probably true for homemade DVDs, which are also not encrypted, so you don't need to decrypt them in the first place. But even homemade discs have the possibility of the VOB cells being mixed up, if someone did any editing of the video before they finalized the DVD. Which is why you need to use a program that will properly extract the MPEG2 data. Your MPEG2Cut2 will do the job just fine, as long as the video cells are not mixed up. If they are out of order, then MPEG2Cut2 could potentially give you an .MPG file that is also mixed up.

As I said in my original comment, there is more than one program that can do it.
    Except that your way involves the extra step of converting the entire thing to MPG before doing the cutting and MPG2Cut2 both cuts the VOBs while at the same time converting to MPG.
    VOB2MPG also allows you to extract portions of the video, rather than the entire thing. Two programs, very similar functions (except that VOB2MPG will handle DVDs that MPEG2Cut2 will not).

I never said that VOB2MPG was the only program you could use. If you like MPEG2Cut2, fine. Use it. But you're still extracting the MPEG2 data from the VOB files, so I don't see why you keep saying that you don't need to.

Because I saw you jumping in all over the forum making useless remarks and picking fights.
    You're the one who jumped in picking a fight, not me.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    But if you simply rip the entire DVD, it doesn't change the way the VOB files are laid out. I don't know how may DVDs you've worked with to make the outrageous claim that less than 1% have the video out of order, but I have worked with thousands, and almost ALL of them have that problem.
    I've ripped hundreds of commercial DVDs. My usual process is a full disc rip with DVDFab, load a VOB set into DgIndex to build an index, then AviSynth to load the video and perform any editing and/or filtering, and encode with the x264 CLI encoder. My observation is similar to manono's -- very few require an IFO aware remux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It must be nice for you guys to be the lucky ones. Or maybe I'm just the unlucky one here. But of the thousands of commercial DVDs I've worked with, an awful lot of them have proven to be a royal pain in the butt.

If I'm the exception to the rule, I'll just shut my face again.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    But if you do need to edit the video, you need to be able to extract the MPEG2 data.
    Once again, I just checked and don't even have VOB2MPG on this computer. I do have MPEG2Cut2, but almost never use it as I don't need it in my work. I mentioned it before (as did jagabo) as a possible solution to lovebug's problem and was hardly 'raving' about it. It's not only possible but easy to work with DVDs without either, and without your 'extract the MPEG2 data' mantra.
    But if you simply rip the entire DVD, it doesn't change the way the VOB files are laid out.
    Yes, decrypting is the first step. In the rare occurrence of angles or seamless branching, once the DVD is decrypted to the hard drive it's a simple matter to choose the angle or PGC you want using PGCDemux.
    But if you do need to edit the video, you need to be able to extract the MPEG2 data.
    I do plenty of editing and never once felt the need to 'extract the MPEG2 data'.
    If you like MPEG2Cut2, fine. Use it.
    I don't use it, not for creating MPGs for editing and/or filtering.

What surprises me is that with all the 'thousands' of DVDs with which you've worked, you've never bothered to learn any AviSynth. Maybe you don't need to use it if what you work with is Hollywood's latest and greatest. Some of us working with more 'problematic' DVDs can't live without it.
    Last edited by manono; 4th Jan 2017 at 01:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What surprises me is that with all the 'thousands' of DVDs with which you've worked, you've never bothered to learn any AviSynth. Maybe you don't need to use it if what you work with is Hollywood's latest and greatest. Some of us working with more 'problematic' DVDs can't live without it.
    I've used a couple GUIs over the years that employ the AviSynth core, but never used AviSynth directly. I'll have to look into it. But I don't do nearly as much with DVDs now that I have my entire library backed up. And I'm not building up my library as much as I used to, since I have over 500 movies I haven't even watched yet. I used to have this terrible habit of seeing a DVD somewhere and saying to myself "Oh, that one looks good!", and buying it, and then never actually watching it. So I don't see much point in adding more movies that I may also never get around to watching.

Most of what I do these days is editing raw camera footage and creating DVDs from it. There's more work to it, but lately I've discovered it's more rewarding to create something than it is to simply convert something that someone else did all the work on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All of this talk talk talk talk as a result of a confused newbie.....HOLY SH|T.
    Quote Quote