VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    i have captured a film as quicktime and when convert to dvd as dvd video - it jitters on the dvd in a way that it does not on the orig mov file

the program i used to burn the dvd video on dvd is called burn (it asked me to convert to mpg2 first though)

had same experience with tmpgenc mastering

as far as i can see it's a standard quicktime 25 fpp file

i am using a mac os x

any thoughts would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know what you mean by "jittery". Upload a short sample of your VOB or MPG file that shows the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It may be incorrect field order however it is very difficult to help without sample of your source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have uploaded bothe a sample of the orig qt file and the convrted mpg2 file
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by devdev View Post
    i have uploaded bothe a sample of the orig qt file and the convrted mpg2 file
    Would you like to tell us where?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    using the uploading tool but cannot see them
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your original mov file contains interlaced frames (originally 16.67 fps with 3:3 hard pulldown to 25 fps, bottom field first) but it is encoded progressive. Since the video wasn't flagged interlaced your editor/encoder treated it as progressive and encoded as MPEG 2 with the same properties. That may cause the fields to be played back in the wrong temporal order -- back and forth motions on some fields. What you want to do is convince your editor that the source is interlaced, bff, and encode with that setting. The low underlying 16.67 fps will still leave the video jerky.

Colorful shots will still have a problem because the original encoding of the interlaced frames as progressive will have blended the colors of the two fields together. But that will be less noticeable than the out of order field playback.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Sep 2016 at 18:32.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It may be interlace (ion interlace) improperly called jitter... not sure if jagabo share my point but i would go for full video processing with motion interpolation...
    Quote Quote  
  9. First I would look into why interlaced frames were encoded progressive. That causes the colors of the two fields to be blended together. When there are large movements of colored objects you will see problems like the image in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/380603-How-to-fix-this-frame

You want interlaced video to be encoded interlaced to prevent this.

Since this was originally (8mm?) film the projector was set to 16.67 fps and each film frame was captured as 3 fields. Even when handled correctly, the results will be jerky and flickery. You can use motion interpolation methods to smooth out the motion but that doesn't work well with all video. It works well for panning shots (50 fps sample attached, deshaken and motion interpolated) but can deliver gross artifacts with complex motions.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi

that's great and ta

just so you know - i did it and it worked a treat - the jitter almost completely disappeared!!!!

ta all

is there free sw that does the motion interpolation ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by devdev View Post

is there free sw that does the motion interpolation ?
    At least few, lastly ffmpeg received such functionality, side to this there is SVP project and you use Avisynth with or SVP or MVTools.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164554
    Quote Quote