VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,
    I have a .mp4 file with .srt subtitles. I need to hardcode subtitles into .mp4 output, but the problem is, I also need to change the position of subtitles ONLY in some places. So out of a few hundred lines, 30 need to be repositioned. How can I do it? I know you can convert subs to .ssa and then set the position, but for all the lines and I haven't found any solution to do it only for some lines.
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/Editing_Subtitles/#the-subtitles-edit-box
    12. Vertical margin for this line. 0 means use the margin specified in the style.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you. Do you know what software should I use to hardcode the subtitles and preserve ass formatting? Whatever I use it just exports video without predefined fonts and positioning.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can mux the subtitles with the video (MKVToolnix) and use HandBrake/Vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That is what I do:
    1) Open MKVToolnix > Add video and .ass subtitles > Export
    2) Open Handbrake > Load video exported from MKVToolnix > Go to Subtitles > Click "Add Track" > Source button appears below and I can choose from "Foreign Audio Scan" and "1 Unknown (SSA)" so I choose the second one > Start Exporting
    3) I receive video with very small and unformatted subtitles.

What do I do wrong?

Exactly the same happens in VidCoder. It sees "1 Unknown (SSA)" subtitle path, so I choose it and I receive video with little subs and no positioning.
    Last edited by bhra0; 28th Sep 2016 at 13:47.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know what you do wrong but works fine here. Perhaps upload your .ass
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Here are mine subtitles...
    As you can see, from 0,0:01:56.30,0:01:59.95 some lines start with changed position.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by bhra0; 28th Sep 2016 at 14:20.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I edited the ass adding
    ASS override tags
    to change font size/position.

The formatting works OK.

PS: Note the resolution in the ass is

PlayResX: 768
    PlayResY: 576

What's the video resolution?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. @Videobruger thank you very much for your help. I was my fault, because the values I entered were simply to small - for example I didn't notice antything by moving vertical position by "10", it turned out that I need "100" for my movie and now it is visible. Everything works fine, thanks again.

PS. I actually wonder why nobody came up with an app that would allow to hardcode subs like ass or ssa directly, without muxing it first...
    Quote Quote  
  10. PS. I actually wonder why nobody came up with an app that would allow to hardcode subs like ass or ssa directly, without muxing it first...
    Everything that can use AviSynth script as input can. And for those that don't you can use AVFS.

But then you'll need to know AviSynth instead of MKVToolnix.

And then there are those like Xmedia Recode, MediaCoder ... that can hardcode .ass without muxing
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK, thanks for letting me know, I will be experimenting with it in the future.
    Surely I don't want to use anything that demands using scripts!
    Quote Quote