VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey im dealing with an issue about subs. My pc's version is english and the installation of windows was made in english so nothing is greek and i got problem with greek subtitles because i cant read them. When i open the .srt i get weird characters (ex: άνοιξε το λιμάνι Μαριέλ). I tried to save the subs as utf8 and unicode but nothing worked, i still get those weird symbols. I also downloed notepad++ but it didnt work neither. However, VLC player is able to read them correctly when im playing the movie. But i just want to make them readable in the notepad, so i can view and edit them any time. What can i do for that situation?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by HOK1N View Post
    I also downloed notepad++ but it didnt work neither.
    But did you use it correctly?

Upload such a subtitle file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HOK1N View Post
    When i open the .srt i get weird characters (ex: άνοιξε το λιμάνι Μαριέλ). I tried to save the subs as utf8 and unicode but nothing worked, i still get those weird symbols.
    You must (re-)load the text as UFT-8, before you can view it as Greek characters

(assuming that it really is UTF-8, and not one of those obsolete "codepages").

I don't use notepad++ though, I prefer TextPad and EditPlus (both are payware).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I also downloed notepad++ but it didnt work neither.
    But did you use it correctly?

Upload such a subtitle file.
    what should i do with it then?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    When i open the .srt i get weird characters (ex: άνοιξε το λιμάνι Μαριέλ). I tried to save the subs as utf8 and unicode but nothing worked, i still get those weird symbols.
    You must (re-)load the text as UFT-8, before you can view it as Greek characters

(assuming that it really is UTF-8, and not one of those obsolete "codepages").

I don't use notepad++ though, I prefer TextPad and EditPlus (both are payware).

but what do u suggest me to do
    Quote Quote  
  6. Click on the "Uplopad files/Manage attachement" button and upload the subtitle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Upload.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	38651
    Quote Quote  
  7. here
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. I also downloed notepad++
    I opened it in Notepad++. Used "Encoding -> Convert to UTF8". Saved it.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello.

Try it now. I do not know if show correctly now.

Can you see if all the greek letters are correct?

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Hello.

Try it now. I do not know if show correctly now.

Can you see if all the greek letters are correct?

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)

yeah i can now read them. But what should i do to make them readable every time i open the srt files in notepad?
    Quote Quote  
  11. @ HOK1N

I opened it in Notepad++. Used "Encoding -> Convert to UTF8". Saved it.

In my case, when I opened in Notepad++ it gave me the greek letters direct. Nothing to be done, except to save it as a new file, as txt file type.

And after that I opened such txt file using Subtitle Edit and save it again into srt format, using UTF8 encoding. Just in case to avoid any mistake.

what should i do to make them readable every time i open the srt files in notepad?

Open /saving the text correctly before, using UTF8 encoding, you can open later using Notepad displaying correctly all the greek letters.

And even other languages letters / alphabets too, like arabic, chinese, hebrew, etc.

You can open using Word or similar programs too. Maybe they get you the correct character encoding used on the text.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 24th Sep 2016 at 05:48.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    You can open using Word
    No. Just don't.
    Quote Quote  
  13. @ sneaker

No. Just don't.

Why not? Here I can do it like this way too, if I know the correct language the text was encoded / written.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You can open using Word
    Well you could. BUT needs to choose "Greek" as encoding when opening it and UTF-8 when saving.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Why not? Here I can do it like this way too, if I know the correct language the text was encoded / written.
    I stand corrected. "Back in the days" working on simple text files in Word would resulted in nothing but disaster but I guess Microsoft improved. (tested Word 2016)
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Using ΅$oft Word for dealing with plain-text is like using a truck for transporting ONE pencil

Originally Posted by OP
    My pc's version is english and the installation of windows was made in english so nothing is greek
    That's not the actual problem since Windows 95, minimum.
    The real problem is, Microsoft keeps the codepage hell alive
    As I suspected, the .srt file you uploaded to this thread is not UTF-8.

Instead of "protecting" Notepad (and MS Paint) with the TrustedInstaller idiocy,
    Micro$oft should make it *save as Unicode* by default.
    Besides making it understand UNIX and MAC line-endings, of course.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 24th Sep 2016 at 08:15. Reason: add emphasis
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Guys is there any latest automatically way we can convert any pgs or sup greek subtitle into srt file?
    If there is can anyone please make me a guide or tell me what to do even with subtitle edit 3.5.6 program.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I could do it simply downloading the dictionaries with the button

[Attachment 46566 - Click to enlarge]

Star OCR->... ->OK-> File->Save as..

automatically correct it does not .. you have to verify
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote