VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. And all that good stuff we've gotten from Philips who has been the best when it comes to cheap reliable players w USB! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you asking about a BD burner or a home player? I don't think Philips makes their own BD burners any more. And region-free set top BD players are very rare these days.

If you want a decent quality BD external burner, Pioneer is good. You can add a bare drive to a external enclosure with USB 2 or 3.

If you want a slim BD drive, there are a few of them out there, but probably not Philips.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Are you asking about a BD burner or a home player? I don't think Philips makes their own BD burners any more. And region-free set top BD players are very rare these days.
    Shucks! Yes I'm talking about a standalone player. I have PS3 but hardly use it bc some files don't play from USB on it.

I had the Philips 642 and my current Philips dvd player w USB. Was hoping they'd come out w an inexpensive BR player region free...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might look to a company like this or similar: http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-dvd.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You might look to a company like this or similar: http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-dvd.html

Thank you, redwudz! Lots of great affordable players to pick from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ An interesting source for you U.S. peeps (although they do state that they ship world-wide)

I do note that all these BD-players are actually modified Zone A machines (at $40 a kick) which invalidates your warranty at a stoke.

And would a firmware update, which is always inevitable, cancel that mod ?

So if you want to take that risk.........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’ve read that there are some players that can survive a firmware update even if
    the player is region free hacked.
    Quote Quote