VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. And all that good stuff we've gotten from Philips who has been the best when it comes to cheap reliable players w USB! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you asking about a BD burner or a home player? I don't think Philips makes their own BD burners any more. And region-free set top BD players are very rare these days.

If you want a decent quality BD external burner, Pioneer is good. You can add a bare drive to a external enclosure with USB 2 or 3.

If you want a slim BD drive, there are a few of them out there, but probably not Philips.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Are you asking about a BD burner or a home player? I don't think Philips makes their own BD burners any more. And region-free set top BD players are very rare these days.
    Shucks! Yes I'm talking about a standalone player. I have PS3 but hardly use it bc some files don't play from USB on it.

I had the Philips 642 and my current Philips dvd player w USB. Was hoping they'd come out w an inexpensive BR player region free...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might look to a company like this or similar: http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-dvd.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You might look to a company like this or similar: http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-dvd.html

Thank you, redwudz! Lots of great affordable players to pick from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ An interesting source for you U.S. peeps (although they do state that they ship world-wide)

I do note that all these BD-players are actually modified Zone A machines (at $40 a kick) which invalidates your warranty at a stoke.

And would a firmware update, which is always inevitable, cancel that mod ?

So if you want to take that risk.........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’ve read that there are some players that can survive a firmware update even if
    the player is region free hacked.
    Quote Quote