VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    not so long ago I made some LIVE recording in my city and after I got home I noticed that sound was not good - most likely it was too loud during recording so now it sounds bad (I don't know english word for this).

Can this be fixed somehow with some special filters?

Thanks.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. This English word is clipping and such distortion can't be fixed - you can try to partially reduce perceived clipping - there are some filters or plugins that may help, Adobe Audition is equipped with some filter capable to improve - partially restore clipped audio however this is not magic - by introducing clipping you loosing data and introduce some harmonics not present in signal - filters may do some blind guess how reshape clipped audio to extrapolate such lost information but it is never same signal as it should be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_%28signal_processing%29
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for that short explanation and that link - now i know what is going on.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The ReLife VST plugin is pretty decent at fixing clipping. I use it in Audacity but I believe most WAV Editors can use VST plugins. I'll enclose it as I'm having trouble finding the latest version (1.42) before it went to payware with a demo. Scroll down for information about the included Ver. 1.42:

http://www.terrywest.nl/utils.html
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is very nasty clipping as low frequency are heavily clipped however seems that medium and higher frequencies are less affected - there is problem with harmonics from clipped bass line - perhaps doing manual equalization to remove fundamental bass line with harmonically related frequencies can cure this recording but not sure if this is guarantee for success... series of notch filters perhaps with some form of low frequency envelope tracking may work...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I don't think the clip filters will work because this is analog distortion, not digital clipping. It could even be what the concert loudspeakers were reproducing. Do you remember how they sounded in person?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have downloaded and installed that filter - will play with it this afternoon and see if I can get any promising results.

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    ... It could even be what the concert loudspeakers were reproducing. Do you remember how they sounded in person?
    Hmm... don't remember (I was so absorbed in recording that didn't notice) but you could be right about that because one day earlier I was recording another concert from very same spot and the sound was recorded without any distortions.

Anyway I will try that filter manono pointed to but I know now there may be no improvement at all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a try using one of the other Demo VST plugins you can find on the interweb, it's called "Perfect DeClipper".
    I converted the file to two channel WAV first. The Plugin seems to have removed a little of the fuzziness,
    but whether the result is an improvement on the source is debatable.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think there is a slight improvement over the original - I got similar results with Audacity and ReLife plugin - looks like pandy and JVRaines were right: there's not much that could be done.

Anyway, thank you guys for explanation and showing your interest.
    Quote Quote  
  10. This is not a clipping problem, the problem is periodic silencing of the audio. There are tiny, frequent gaps all over the place. Good luck fixing that. The gaps can be interpolated but I don't know of any filter to do this automatically or how good the replication would be even if it could.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I'm looking at the waveform in Adobe Audition and I can't seem to find those tiny, frequent gaps. Where are they?

Click image for larger version

Name:	distort.png
Views:	195
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	38643
    Quote Quote  
  12. Use a spectrograph instead of a waveform. The most obvious is from 8.000 - 8.300 seconds. But even in the waveform you can see inaudible gaps. Notice there's no content above like 10 Hz in them? The rumbling from the big speakers at the concert was interfering with the inadequate equipment.

If there was clipping, it would look like the second pic which I gained by 15 dB and then brought it back down.

EDIT: Here's also the spectrographic view of the gaps.
    http://s14.postimg.org/d2w19po1d/spectrogap.png
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	samplegap.PNG
Views:	157
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	38646  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sampleclip.PNG
Views:	149
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	38647  

Last edited by -Habanero-; 22nd Sep 2016 at 19:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it may have been the sound pressure level overloading the mic capsule in the recording device causing it to cut out each time. you can see the dropouts in a spectrogragh.

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-22_214056.png
Views:	654
Size:	870.2 KB
ID:	38648  

--
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote