VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried using latest FFmpeg (Zeranoe build ) and encode in x265.
    my FFMpeg params are:
    Code:
    ffmpeg-20160919-d38dff8-win64-static\bin>ffmpeg.exe -i d:\VidTest\source_NoAud.avi -c:v libx265 -an -preset slow -x265-params crf=28 d:\VidTest\ffmpeg_x265_crf28_slow.mkv
    FFMpeg is writing:
    Code:
    x265 [info]: HEVC encoder version 2.0
    x265 [info]: build info [Windows][GCC 5.4.0][64 bit] 8bit
    When encoding, FFmpeg is writing this info it it's output:
    Code:
    Output #0, matroska, to 'd:\VidTest\ffmpeg_x265_crf28_slow.mkv':
      Metadata:
        encoder         : Lavf57.49.100
        Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (libx265), yuv420p, 720x400 [SAR 1:1 DAR 9:5], q=2-31, 23.98 fps, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc
        Metadata:
          encoder         : Lavc57.57.100 libx265
    My Question is: what implementation of x265 is inside FFmpeg? And how do I know what specific version of x265 is it?
    In general, (assuming the x265 version is the same ) - Am I supposed to get the same result when encoding in FFmpeg versus x265.exe ?
    Arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same
    Quote Quote  
  2. x265 is the implementation (of HEVC/H.265 standard). ffmpeg and x265.exe should be identical. From the log it seems he's using version 2.0. This is also what he lists at the bottom of his website.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    It seems that Zeranoe uses the v2.0 tagged milestone of x265, without any later patches (there are already about 60 patches since).

If you compile ffmpeg yourself, e.g. using jb-alvarado's media-autobuild_suite, you can create ffmpeg.exe and x265.exe of the same revision of x265 sources (but that will cost you a few GB of disk space and some amount of time).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    If you compile ffmpeg yourself, e.g. using jb-alvarado's media-autobuild_suite...
    Hi LigH.de, tried your suggestion, the script hangs on " Running git clone for sndfile..." step... do i need extra software to be installed?

Thanks
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I'll try to compile it.
    Arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    @ ricardouk:

Unfortunately, the suite is not "fail proof"; sometimes it needs to be cancelled (Ctrl+C) and restarted because pacman missed a detail in the very complex packet dependencies which has to be installed still before running compilations. And of course it will all depend on the availability of the servers providing the sources, if they don't respond, you can't download momentarily.

But in general, after cancelling and restarting the script 2-3 times after it switches from the updating to the compilation step (new console window), everything will be completely prepared and run through.

It may happen that the suite discovers source updates between the 32 bit and the 64 bit compilation; especially ffmpeg is updated often. You may consider re-compiling once, but you shouldn't care about that a lot more often. You will hardly get 32 and 64 bit compiles exactly in sync (if you let compile both at all, you could possibly restrict it to 64 bit only, and to your most important tools only).

If you want to reconfigure the suite, delete build\media-autobuild_suite.ini; final binaries will have been copied to local32\bin-* or local64\bin-*.
    Quote Quote