VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying to figure out this transition for the longest! Can you help me please? If you look at this dudes video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwnQnU2c3DY&list=LLz-U1FX5WdTlIm4ogY5rh5g&index=34
    at around 0:28-0:32 is where he does this transition where it fast forwards to the rims. I think it is so sick and I wanted to know how to do this on Sony Vegas 13. It will be a major help since iv'e been trying to figure it out for the past couple of days
    Quote Quote  
  2. It appears to be a simple speed up of a section of continuous action. However, because the speed up is so dramatic it may well be a speed up of shot A straight cut to a nearly-matching second shot B.

You can do this easily in Vegas by adding edits around the section you want to speed up and then CTRL-clicking on the right edge of the section and dragging the clip shorter.

Even easier, since the transition consists of three frames. just pick the three you want and cut out the rest.
    Last edited by smrpix; 16th Sep 2016 at 06:59.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's called "velocity envelope" in Vegas. Search Youtube and you'll find lots of tutorials.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The general idea is you "Keyframe" the playback speed via "Node" creation. It's very similar to the old Adobe Director animation software.

Vegas Pro has a dynamic timeline, so you can drill down to frame by frame easily. If necessary you might upsample your project to 60p. You'll get smoother slomo.

The way you choreograph the moves is what separates the pro from amateur.
    Last edited by budwzr; 16th Sep 2016 at 11:01.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It appears from the slowed down movement of some of the guys walking in the background that many of those 'pans' are in slo-mo . You can use 'Velocity Envelope' in to do that in Vegas as well, although the slo-mo won't be as smooth as those in this clip. To get slo-mo that smooth you'll need to use something like Twixtor (payware) or MVTools2 (freeware) to add interpolated frames to create a 'smooth' slo-mo pan.

That is assuming you do want to add slo-mo as well as speed up?....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh ok thanks guys. I thought so I tried using velocity in the beginning and when I did I got a clip similiar like this but it is not as smooth transition as he did it but it was close enough. But I will see what twixtor has to offer since I never tried it. I just wanted to learn a new effect really so thanks a lot!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I believe that video was shot at 60p and slowed to 24p to create the slow motion effect. It's free of the distortions caused by motion interpolation software like Twixtor and MvTools2.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe that video was shot at 60p and slowed to 24p to create the slow motion effect. It's free of the distortions caused by motion interpolation software like Twixtor and MvTools2.
    Ah - so that's why it looks that good. I sort of hoped it was one of those clips where you get lucky with the lack of artifacts.....

That doesn't seem to happen very often though...
    Quote Quote