VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys!:

I'm a Newbie, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have a poorly authored DVD that I would like to fix. A 16:9 image was anamorphicly squished to 4:3 and recorded into a 16:9 frame on a DVD Recorder. What I would like to be able to do, is crop the 4:3 image, and actually stretch it to 16:9, giving the image it's proper 16:9 aspect ratio again.

I realize that many have come to this forum because they have stretched a 4:3 aspect to 16:9 and now everybody is short and fat. This is not the case here. I have a 16:9 frame already. The 4:3 image is embedded in it.

Can somebody suggest software for me, preferably free, and steer me to tutorials if they exist please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If I understand what you're saying... Crop 60 lines off the top of the frame, 60 lines off the bottom (or unequal amounts that adds up to 120 lines depending on whether the picture is centered or not), leaving 720x360. Then stretch the remaining picture back to 720x480 and encode as 16:9. But it's not worth it since you can just use the zoom feature of your TV with the original disc. And cropping, upsizing, and reencoding is only going lose quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have no idea what he has or what he's asking. My first thought was to just change the DAR from 4:3 to 16:9 (or vice-versa). My second thought was to do as jagabo suggested - crop (but from the sides and not the top and bottom), resize and reencode the whole thing, this time for 16:9.

My suggestion is for Brad53 to provide a short 10-second sample from his source. You can cut a piece out using DGIndex, among other ways. Open a VOB in DGIndex, use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small section (maybe one with something round in it, if possible) and then go File->Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the file set on your hdd you may be able to use a very old program called IFOEdit http://www.ifoedit.com/guides.html
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote