VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have an mp4/m4v file that contains internal CEA-608 closed caption subtitles in English, but I would like to extract these into an external text file so that I can then translate them into Swedish (just for personal use, no commercial purpose) and then import them into the video again as a normal .srt file.

When I use Subler, it does recognize the subtitles, but it doesn't support exporting them into an .srt file for further editing. A few other applications also do acknowledge their existence, but neither of these support exporting them (I have even tried "ffmpeg -i file.mp4 -vn -an -codec:1.2 srt file.srt" in Terminal, but that doesn't work either).

Does anyone know of a way to get the CEA-608 extracted into an srt file -- on a Mac? I know there are some Windows applications like CCExtractor GUI that might be able to do this, but I'm afraid that is not of much use to me... Thanks for input/feedback on this!

/Mark
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All I could find for ffmpeg was the command line below, but it only works for ts files. You will have to move the video from the mp4 file to a ts file to try it. ffmpeg can do that too.

Code:
    ffmpeg -f lavfi -i movie=input.ts[out+subcc]  -map 0:1  output.srt
    I found the information at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3169910/can-ffmpeg-extract-closed-caption-data There is an explanation from "ColdLearning" there, dated Aug 26 at 20:32.

If it doesn't work, you had better ask a friend running Windows if you can borrow his PC so you can try CCExtractorGUI or eac3to.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Sep 2016 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote