VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,

Recently I have decided to switch from VLC. Recently it has been too buggy - my DVD playback randomly freezes. I have tried PotPlayer and MPC-HC, however the colors in these two players is horrible compared to VLC. Attached is a side-by-side screen shot I took. PotPlayer is on the left - VLC on the right. Notice how much more crisp and detailed the colors are in VLC? What is causing this with PotPlayer and MPC?Click image for larger version

Name:	potvsvlc.png
Views:	5818
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	38534
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have any "video enhancements" activated in your GPU driver settings?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Turn off all video "enhancements" and "auto" adjustments in your graphics driver setup applet and in the media players. Features like noise reduction, sharpness, skin tone enhancement, adaptive contrast enhancement, etc. will screw up the picture. You potplayer image is showing severe oversharpening halos, too much contrast, and too much color saturation.

If that doesn't fix the problem change the video render. For example, in MPCHC select View -> Options -> Playback -> Output. In the DirectShow Video output section try the different renderers. You must exit and restart MPCHC for the change to take place.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Sep 2016 at 07:47.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Turn off all video "enhancements" and "auto" adjustments in your graphics driver setup applet and in the media players. Features like noise reduction, sharpness, skin tone enhancement, adaptive contrast enhancement, etc. will screw up the picture. You potplayer image is showing severe oversharpening halos, too much contrast, and too much color saturation.

If that doesn't fix the problem change the video render. For example, in MPCHC select View -> Options -> Playback -> Output. In the DirectShow Video output section try the different renderers. You must exit and restart MPCHC for the change to take place.
    Thank you, this worked. I have a laptop with an Nvidia GPU but it also was built with integrated INTEL graphics. Hate it. I just made my laptop use the nVidia GPU at all times and the problem went away.
    Quote Quote