VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a load of old VHS tapes lying in my cupboard i want to check through, by fast forwarding through them all, as im sure there's lots with nothing on them and need to throw out. I just bought a Panasonic NV-HS860 for capturing, but with in not wanting to wear the heads, could i use my previous machine (a Bush DVRHS02) to check through them all since the heads are already worn on that model anyway, and if so will playing them on this machine damage my tapes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Buy a copy of some prerecorded trash vhs from a garage sale/thrift store for a $1 each and test them first to see if the player is ruining tapes or not.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Run the tapes in FAST FORWARD and watch the tape counter. It won't advance if there's nothing recorded. This operation doesn't put any wear on the video heads.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I'm missing something but what advances the tape counter when you fast forward? Wouldn't the tape have to be in contact with the read heads in order for it to "know" if there's anything recorded - so as to advance the counter or not?
    Rich
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    In fast wind, the tape unloads from the delicate video heads. Timing pulses are read by the audio/control head, which is much hardier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vhspath.png
Views:	384
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	38552
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good info. Thanks
    Rich
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Well i put in a retail video i was going to throw out anyway and test that it works. Unfortunately it sort of got chewed up when it was rewinding itself, so i had to stop the machine, open it up and take it out, in case it was wrapped round any parts, but was just stuck behind the winding spool. Now i don't know if this was because that tape was dodgy, as it was squeaking in my other machine, but i did clean the heads inside my old machine earlier in the year, and cleaned off what looked like green marker pen on the metal base inside. But i now realise this was supposed to be there? Is that to grease the parts so they'll move smoothly and the rewinder has not moved to the right place, hence why the tape unraveled?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by "rewinder," but there are a couple of tape guides that travel in slots between the cassette and the video drum. Those slots should be lightly greased along their top edges. I use a synthetic grease called Super Lube.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah the tape guides, forgive me for not being clued up about the parts inside lol. Thanks for that, i'll order it now. Would you just apply it with your finger along the slot edges then?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    A cotton bud makes a tidier application. Make sure the surfaces are clean first and then apply a very small amount. Keep the grease away from any rubber parts.
    Quote Quote