VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I haven't run into a single person using the LG BE14NU40 through USB 3 who's had issues. The last one over at MyCE I recommended that drive to was Dee (of the Liggy and Dee firmware team), and she's had great luck with it. Not too happy that they seem to have disappeared though.

Recommending not to use USB 3 for opticals is misjudged in my opinion. The real problem is the fact we have so few good drives left. I don't often recommend the slim ones, even the Pioneers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    ....and she's had great luck with it.
    IMHO, that's just what bothers me. You never quite know when they are going to act up. A typical laughtop-USB3 BD-R writer setup can behave impeccably from day one, or produce nothing but coasters, or behave well time and again and cough up sometimes. In my work I have helped about 30 people who wanted to record BD-Rs with their laughtops, whose specs ranged from centrino to the lastest bells-&-whistles i7, win7 to win10. They bought Pioneers, Buffalo, Asus writers. While USB3 was thoroughly unpredictable, SATA never had problems (with the same laughtop, where SATA or eSATA was available). With BD-R writers of any type not exactly inexpensive items, it's not wise to "try them first on USB3 to see if you and your setup will be one of the lucky ones". While USB3 is awesome for lots of things, connecting a BD-R writer just is not one of them.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. [QUOTE=turk690;2460182]
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Having repeatedly seen how chancy the whole thing is, I just declare to would-be BD-R folks: no SATA, no BD-R writer. Period.
    100% true from my experience.

I had used two external bluray writers

The slim samsung one(SE-506 CB), tries to burn over 10 disks, 9 failed, 1 passed. Used all of the 4 available usb3.0 and usb2.0 ports in my laptop, user different burning softwares, No luck.

The next one to try was the asus ASUS BW-16D1H-U PRO, again burnt around 10 disks all of them failed. This had separate powersupply. As part of experiment used all of the available usb ports on the laptop and different burning softwares(Nero, DVDFab, imgBurm, PowerdvdGo).

After then tried the exact solution you had suggested. Burnt over 10 disks all of them passed.

Now if someone asks me for an opinion I would defenitely tell them to go for the internal drive setup.

Now the other point to note is if your laptop has an eSATA port why the hell someone would go for the expensive exteranl writes and have butterflies in stomach while burning the BD-Rs. I was able to build the internal setup for a mere 140 bucks compared to the expensive asus burner which was 280 bucks.

Period...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by navarannan View Post
    I was able to build the internal setup for a mere 140 bucks compared to the expensive asus burner which was 280 bucks.
    ...and what would a second PC have cost you if SATA wasn't an option for connecting a BD burner to your laptop, but you really needed one? What if you had no prior indication that your USB 3.0 controller was a piece of crap?

Location does play a role. ASUS doesn't distribute the burner that you bought in the USA, but the ASUS BW-12D1S-U Lite can be purchased for online for $100 (US). I'd gamble on it working if my only other option for a Blu-ray burner was to buy another computer to go along with it, and there was no prior indication that my USB 3.0 controller was a piece of crap. A decent but inexpensive internal Blu-ray burner costs $50, but better, faster internal burners can cost up to $100.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Sep 2016 at 03:57.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by navarannan View Post
    Friends

I writing this with lots of pain.

Over the last few weeks I was trying to burn bdmv files to Verbatim BD50 disks and wasted around 15 disks.

I used two burners, a samsung one(SE-506CB) and Asus Turbo Drive(external 16x, bw-16d1h-u) both of them failed miserably. I used neo, dvdfab and imgBurn softwares. Googles but didnt get any convincng answers. Im in the mindset to give up the whole idea now.

But

Is there anyone here who is burning bdmv movie files to blank BD 50 gb disks. If yes which burner they are using? What am I doing wrong. Is there any ray of hope left?

Please help guys.
    Hi
    I am using an external Blu-ray burner from PLEXTOR Model PX-LB950UE.
    I have burned many BD 50 GB discs without a single error.
    BTW why dont you use BD-RE rewriterable media.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dhnj View Post
    Hi
    I am using an external Blu-ray burner from PLEXTOR Model PX-LB950UE.
    I have burned many BD 50 GB discs without a single error.
    BTW why dont you use BD-RE rewriterable media.
    Cheers
    @navarannan — please add a [SOLVED] tag to the title of this topic;

in other words, goto post #1 and change "Is there a good external blu-ray burner?Any ray of hope?" to

"[SOLVED]Is there a good external blu-ray burner?Any ray of hope?"

Originally Posted by navarannan View Post
    Hi turk690.

Happy news friend. Like you suggested I bought an internal LG blu ray writer, and external power supply for it which has a molux cable , a molux to SATA cable and a SATA to eSata cable. Was very lucky to get all of them from a local computer shop.

Used Nero16 to burn the movies. Already burnt around 15 BD50 discs. None of them failed.

Im so so happy.

Thanks a million for the valuable suggestion. Finally what a sigh of relief.
    Quote Quote