VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would love to be able to get mpeg2 direct from my digibox (satellite system) and stragiht to my pc where i could reencode it more freely and thus getting a better picture.

Has anybody succeeded in this?

Even if its using aerial braodcasts I would love to hear it

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  2. Was using MMC 7.6 to get SVCD, which worked good, now I use a Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD-RAM system, Have a Panasonic LF311 DVD Recorder in the PC, transfer the recorded file from the DVD-RAM to the PC, it recordes in MPEG2/48Hz which is DVD quality, have recorded about five films this way and perfect each time, just completed my first Reel Time DVD-R recoring, went from a VHS to the DVD-RAM on a DVD-R again came out perfect, the picture on the DVD was much better then the picture coming off the tape, and it was a S-VHS tape. I have a Digital Cable System.

Bud
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I MEAN GET THE ACTUALLY MPEG 2 UNCOMMPRESSED FROM A DIGITAL SYSTEM!!!

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPEG-2 is compressed.
    As Churchill famously predicted when Chamberlain returned from Munich proclaiming peace in his time: "You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mirrior image:
    Thanks for the reply, I mean the original compressed mpeg stragith from the box into my pc before it gets to the decoder. that way I can get it better and before its decoded and turned to analouge and picture quailty lost.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mirrior image:
    Thanks for the reply, I mean the original compressed mpeg stragith from the box into my pc before it gets to the decoder. that way I can get it better and before its decoded and turned to analouge and picture quailty lost.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mirrior image:

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  8. My friend told me if I can get a Tivo. Not one that is bought but stolen and so on, that you can open it up and you can record straight to you computer. I don't know about satellite but I'm sure it is the same way.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Baker, Hauppage do a couple of PCI cards which recieve DVB and (I think) digital satellite feeds and record them directly to HD without re-encoding or fiddling with the footage in any way - I think this is what you're looking for, isn't it? Try www.hauppage.com but you'll have to check the product page yourself, as I can't remember what it's called at the mo. Pinnacle is about to launch a similar card for ITV Digital DVB signals in the UK, too.

Tachyon.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @pimp:
    What your saying would be possible although not only do i noit have a tivo there isn't a store nearbye where I could nick it from.

@tachyon:
    This is exactly what i was looking for although it is still unclear weather the actual un changed mpeg2 can be put on the hard drive using a dvb card.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  11. Baker - I dunno, not having used one directly, but the Hauppage PR blurb mentions that the MPEG-2 compressed DVB stream is saved directly to HD without any re-encoding or conversion. In theory, it should therefore be a straight MPEG transport stream you can use. Re-encode at a lower rez, rip and burn as it is, whatever.

Tachyon.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea well it looks like it does that althogh i really need it from my satellite box, I will just have to use more filters to make my captures look better. If digital broadcasts arent bad enough here I go converting them to analouge-digital-analouge-digital and then converting to mpeg 2 again!!! Sheer madness!

baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  13. Very true, but is a one generation tiny quality drop that bad? Like someone else who posted I record via an RGB SCART feed direct to a Panasonic DMRE20 DVD recorder and the quality is superb at the highest setting.

Tachyon.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have any tips to get rid of all these macroblocks?

I have recorded a few from tv added my filtrs in vdub and frameserved into cce. None look as good as a dvd due to the large number of macrobloaks that are already in the encoding and making re-encoding harder.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm still an amateur compared to 90% of the guys in here, sadly. The problem is that the macroblocks are there in most of the DVB streams since they use low-rent realtime encoders. On the rare occassions when they transmit pre-encoded footage, you can see they've used a better encoder. Some channels are worse than others, as well.

As you say, it's a case of filter and lose sharpness :(
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It all in the filters, i am trying to get the balance right anyhelp is appreciated.

thansk for the help o far.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote