VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This weird sound comes up whenever i start talking in my recordings, i really dont know whats causing it but its really annoying... I've already tried changing the sound levels on my microphone and settings in OBS but only managed to remove it when i'm silenced with OBS's filters.

Heres the youtube video (audio only)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw-Fy5ewYYo

I'd be very grateful if anyone is able to help
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's background noise. It disappears when you stop speaking because you are using a noise reduction circuit that siliences the audio when the sound level drops below a threshold. You need to put the microphone closer to your mouth.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As Jagabo says, you need to move the mic closer to your mouth. That will help in 2 ways - it will allow you to reduce the gain (volume) setting on the microphone input channel, and hopefully reduce the noise. In addition it will help reduce the amateur sounding 'room boom' - that's the natural reverberation (echo) of the room which you record when the mic is too far away from the source.
    Having said all of that, I think the noise you are hearing is actually system noise from a poor mic 'preamp' (that's the amplifier on the mic input of your sound card). The only way to improve that is to use a better mic preamp. You might find buying cheap external mixer, and connecting that to the line input of the sound card instead will give a big improvement there.
    Or possibly look at getting a USB microphone?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you go to this page for the OBS software:

Noise Gate

read what it says and turn off or set to zero ALL "noise gate" and "noise supression" settings.

As others have said, what you are hearing is the result of a really aggressive noise gate. IMHO, using a noise gate is a terrible way to reduce background noise. It sounds worse than not having it at all (i.e., the cure is worse than the disease). So, what you are hearing is background noise just before and after the noise gate kicks in. That background noise is normal, although because it is amplified, it may sound different to you than what you remember hearing in that room. Every room has noise. If you just sit in any room, by yourself, and start listening, you will be amazed at the rumbles, hisses, and vibrations that you will begin to hear, all of which the microphone picks up and amplifies.

To make background noise less noticeable, you can do three things, one of which was already suggested:

1. Get closer to the microphone (already suggested).

2. Turn off ALL "AGC" (Automatic Gain Control) settings in both the recording software and also (possibly) in your microphone circuitry itself. You are much better served to use manual recording volume control, and set it so that your "VU" meters (on your recording software) goes to just under maximum, without reaching the clipping threshold.

3. Suppress background noise by using a recording booth.

A full-fledged sound-deadened recording booth is obviously out of the question. However, you can build "voice-over box" yourself out of a cardboard box and some packing foam, and it will give you 90% of the sound-deadening impact of a full-fledged professional recording booth. It should look a little like this:

Voice Booth

I built one of these myself and while I don't do a lot of voice-over work, I do use it a few times a year. For instance, I did this silly voice-over for a "trailer" I created for a student film some friends of mine did back in the 1960s. Here's what the result sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AiTW8GdmYI
    Quote Quote