VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to use AmaRecTV with a Diamond VC500 via composite video to capture some Hi8 tapes for restoration and editing. However, there is a perpetual issue plaguing every capture.

When watching the playback through the viewfinder on the Hi8 camera, the picture is smooth, steady and free of interference of any kind. However, when I play back the video through AmarecTV, the picture continually has some kind of flickering 'breakthrough' of red and green in the image, and the picture sometimes offlocks entirely. Here are five consecutive frames from one such tape demonstrating the issue (click for full size):

This is a relatively minor example; sometimes the picture breaks up entirely and is a complete mess. The issue is less prevalent when the video is still (for example, it was shot on a tripod). However, the red/green flickering still occurs.

Does anyone know what is causing this and how I might rectify it? A while back I dubbed some Hi8 tapes onto miniDV using the DV camera's AV in jack and those digital dubs exhibited none of these problems. Sadly, I no longer have access to that camera and have had to resort to this method.

Thank you to anyone who may be able to help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Do you see these artifacts during capture? What camera output are you using? Have you ruled out the cable as a source of the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, the artefacts are there during capture. I am using the Hi8 camera's compososite out. It's a brand new cable, too
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Does your camera have an s-video output? You will get a better picture and you might be able to bypass the bad output/cable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No, no S-VHS output, sadly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Well, you could still try a different cable. I've had brand new bad cables that took up oceans of my time until I thought to suspect them. Other ideas: bad connector or output circuitry on the camera, VC500 wants signal conditioning (standalone or DVD recorder's TBC/frame sync), software goofiness. What encoder/file format are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  7. The more I've looked into it, the more I think it's a TBC problem. I am capturing to Lagarith.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you find a solution for this issue. I'm hitting the same problem while capturing and can't figure out how to get it working.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I actually gave up and returned it. I have no idea how anyone is getting anything out of this bit of kit. Sorry I cannot be of more help
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    The VC500 requires the use of a TBC. That's all it is.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/383391-White-single-frame-flashes-VHS-capture
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/383160-jitter-on-capture-but-not-on-tv (one of the devices sold as Elgato uses the same chip as VC500)
    Quote Quote