VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. That can do the following

A) Output to AVI
    B) XVID Codec
    C) Constant MP3
    D) Target File Size

I have tried the following programs but the output was no where near what I wanted

xMedia Recode, Avidemux, I am not really big on going by bitrate I simply want to enter the Target File Size I want & get the best match possible. I did like using the older version of Handbrake that supports AVI but on Windows 10 it crashes & does not seem to really work anymore. So does anyone know of any good alternatives ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Nobody can guarantee a best match with 1 KB precision. Bitrate control is in the depths of the Xvid codec and not much related to the converter as a user interface alone ... maybe except some knowledge about estimating the multiplexing overhead and calculating the remaining video bitrate to reach the target size. But that has always been a bit of guesswork and statistics.

The combination of optimal quality distribution and good target size utilization requires the 2-pass VBR mode, though. The codec needs to gather statistics about the bitrate requirements across the whole playing time in a 1st pass to be able to scale it to the desired target size in the 2nd pass. And even then, if your desired size is too low for the codec in relation to the playing time and the compressibility of the material (much action is harder to compress), you won't get better quality with any other converter UI using the same codec with the same parameters.

I'm not sure which converter to recommend to you with such a simple usage; I have not much experience with those, rather tune my results manually. MeGUI may be too technically detailed for you. I guess StaxRip x64 could be worth a try. As alternative to Handbrake, you may try VidCoder. Also there is TEncoder as rather simple UI for batch conversions. And for another different experience, you may even try Hybrid (by Selur).
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'll add another vote for AutoGK while including a warning not to upgrade Xvid. Install and use the version supplied with AutoGK, as there's no guarantee AutoGK will be able to configure newer versions correctly. I recall for one newer version AutoGK thought it was specifying a Home Theater Profile, while in reality a Mobile Profile was being use.

Has the way Xvid encodes video changed all the much in recent years? I think AutoGK installs version 1.2.1, but don't hold me to that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Maybe the Video To Video Converter can do the job. If it can't it is still a great tool to have.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Video to Video
    Easy to use and able to configure. I agree with the above post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Will give it a shot
    Quote Quote