VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I've got a finalised DVD of some Simpsons episodes and I'm trying to rip one of them to mp4 format using Any Video Converter Free v6.0.0 to put on my iPhone 6S Plus, as I'm going on a trip soon and I'd like to watch some on the iPhone while I'm away. AVC Free suggests that you need to upgrade to the paid version in order to rip DVDs, but I seem to be able to just open the vob files direct, and it converts them ok.

The problem I'm having is that the picture size of the mp4 files is all wrong. I've tried setting the output settings to "iPhone 6S Plus", which apparently should be 1920x1080, but the resulting picture is stretched vertically. I then tried 1920x1080 and specified 16:9 instead of Auto and it was a bit better, but still stretched. Then I tried 1440x900, and 1280x720, and although both appear to be the correct aspect ratio, both output videos are very strange in that the picture is a long narrow horizontal bar, with most of the top and bottom of the actual picture missing.

I should point out that some of these episodes are natively 4:3 and 16:9, and when I originally recorded them using my DVD recorder I believe that the recorder allowed for that and added black bars where required. The VOB file on the DVD is 352x576. And I'm not bothered about how high the resolution is on the iPhone, just that the aspect ratio is correct.

Is there anyone who might be able to help me get this right?
    Last edited by ianpwilliams; 30th Aug 2016 at 13:43.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies, soon after I posted this thread I discovered the "Customized MP4 Movie" option, which let me rip the video using the original resolution, and now works fine on the iPhone (albeit with black bars, but I'd expect that).
    Quote Quote